• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 289c questions undercarriage

bwbigred

I’m looking at a 289c does this machine have dpf or def . Also the seller said the rubber for the suspension on the undercarriage is bad and clunks when driving. I’m trying to find more information on this issue and how involved and costly the repair will be does anyone have any input

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
To determine if the machine has dpf or def would require a Serial Number, although AFAIK even TIER 4 Final engines don't have def. There are too many different iterations of 289C out there to guess which one of them you are looking at.

Suspension shouldn't be too hard to fix, no idea on parts price though. Bear that in mind if you make an offer.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Nige is correct. That model was built from 2008 to 2013 which I believe started at Tier 3, with few if any pollution add on components, to Tier 4 interim which may or may not have had a DPF. The unit does not have the suspended undercarriage of the 287 model machines and would likely cost much less to maintain and repair. I can't guess what the seller is talking about concerning the rubber in the suspension. The only rubber I can think of on those machines is the track bands.

Tags

I do believe that the undercarriage is attached to the machine with some kind of "torflex" axle setup so it does flex a bit, hence the mounting tubes on the track frame that require grease.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I wouldn't think that would make the suspension clunk when traveling though?

Tags

I wouldn't think that would make the suspension clunk when traveling though?

well, I think the suspension would have a tendency to “clunk” if The mounting points to the track frames have not been greased well and has created play in the bushings that would create some sort of clunking sound when traversing rough terrain. I would imagine there’s also a chance if the machine has been used incredibly hard that the rubber torsion suspension has some slop in it.

bwbigred

I’m assuming it has to do with not greasing it well and something with the suspension is. Worn out

ih100

The frames each sit on two torsion bars. These run into tubes with rubber bushes, like Indespension trailer suspension units. The grease points in the ends grease the bushes between the torsion bar ends and the frames, NOT the actual suspension. It could be the rubbers have gone inside the tubes, or the bushes in the frames are worn. Also lift the cab and make sure the torsion tubes haven’t come loose where they bolt into the frame.

pictures of the drive sprockets would be good as well. If they’re badly worn they tend to grab the tracks.

bwbigred

I won’t have the machine til next week but from what I heard the rubber is worn out. How difficult is that job to replace them or involved?

ih100

You can’t just change the rubber, you have to change the whole torsion bar assembly, x 4. It isn’t a hard job if you have access to a mini-ex or forklift to pop the tracks off and back on. It can be done with a big bar if they’re worn and you’re refitting them, new tracks you’ll need mechanical assistance. Once the tracks are off, take off the plates at the end of the torsion bars, slacken the 8 bolts over the front torsion bar, slide the track frame off.
Cab up, unbolt/refit new torsion bars, fit track frames back on, re-tighten the clamp bolts over the fron bar, fit end caps, grease and refit tracks.

just out of interest make sure the tensioners sure still okay. The rod through the recoil spring has been known to unscrew itself from the tensioning ram over time on some batches.

Obviously you need to Jack the machine up to do all of this, and you won’t lift the frames by hand, either.

Tags

Youll first want to confirm that it is definitely the tor flex suspension or just the bushings that mount the track frames to the tor flex bars that is clanking and not the front idler banging around in the track frame due to excessive play.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
it does NOT have def. check all of the under carriage for worn parts, need to look at the torsion bars where they mount to the frame under the cab,
I have a 289c some of the bolts holding torsion bars to the where loose or broken

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
All the 289C's I've looked at are still running a mechanical injection pump. Although the headgaskets are a common failure. If the coolant reservoir is overfull and the sight glass bubble by the radiator cap is empty, good chance the head gasket is gone. Unfortunately in most cases the head becomes erroded and is basically scrap.

Re-installing the track frames can be a bit of a pain. Most times the new torsion axles will not align with bores (not even close 95% of the time). The bushings are just a chincy little split steel sleeve. If they've worn through you'd be looking at a new housing on the front ones and a line bore repair on the back ones as they don't have a replaceable housing.

bwbigred

Does anyone know if these axles can be purchased aftermarket from somewhere besides CAT themself

TommyJLG

Hi guys, I have a 2014 259D that we elevated and removed the tracks in an effort release the track frame from the torsion axles for cleaning and to allow for greasing. The grease ports were clogged and frame was stuck with rust/dirt. We were able to release 3 of the points but not so lucky on the rear left. We can pull the track frame out about an inch or 2 but then it clunks and will not budge beyond that point. It looks like the bushing is firmly attached to the axle and something else is hindering removal. Please see pix. If we remove the snap ring, will that help? Also, please see gap on front left axle. The bolts are not tight but after tightening, there is still about a 3/8 to 1/2" gap. Is this normal? Thank you!

Attachments

• rear left torsion axle.jpg
    rear left torsion axle.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • front left torsion axle gap.jpg
    front left torsion axle gap.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29