• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 277B RH park brake not releasing

zigblazer

I put a few hours on it today. Been busy trying to get our new septic holding tank to stop leaking. It worked great. I will plan on replacing the filter again and checking out what the inside looks like before I change the fluid again. Yes I put in new fluid. I never could quite bring myself to put used fluid back into something.

Time to vent some frustration. Did you know they don't make concrete holding tanks very strong, or to be buried more than a foot or two below ground in Northern MN? At least that is what RedRock precast is telling me. They say the couple dozen leaks in the bottem of the tank is from me not putting the tank on a foot of rock over the clay and having it too deep in the ground. Never mind that I can scrape up the bottom of their tank with a putty knife, it's my fault for putting it on a flat, level, dry bed of sand (over clay) 5 feet underground.

Anyway, as we're finally finishing our new building (which hopefully will allow my wife to bring in more money soon) and hemorrhaging money like crazy as we do so, we are having many break downs and problems.

Good news is that the skid worked flawlessly for a bit today and the cylinder is back for the excavator and I can pick it up tomorrow. $$

I've had the MTL for 5 years now. Not sure I could live without it at this piont. Got a great price on it, and it looks like they are going for roughly double what I bought mine for. But I've also put $10,000 into it since I got it. Though to be fair I have put 500 hours on it and it has been nearly priceless to me.

I think we may have bit off more than we can chew with this new building though. Every time we turn around it is costing more money. We got an extra $50k loan and have blown way past that. Our original bid was $50k just for groundwork before the concrete (no drain tile). So I bought a small (5yrd) dump truck and a tractor loader and leveled the area, hauled 400 yards of gravel myself, and prepped for concrete for almost $30k less. But I ended up putting a couple thousand into the cheap deere 310d tractor loader and doing an in frame overhaul on the cat 3127 in the dump truck to the tune of $7k. That was on top of the repairs we knew we needed to do when we bought them. Still money ahead, but more problems. After the $4k+ for the skid drive motor and $1.5k+ for the replacement excavator rod in the last couple weeks. Not to mention the $30k+ to buy the excavator this spring. We're plum out of capital and still don't have a usable building. Close, but not yet. I haven't finished the drain tile, run the ethernet cable, moved the clay to make a flat outdoor field, or put dirt on top of the outdoor field yet. And I still don't have a usable septic holding tank yet. My diesel tank is below 100 gallons, which isn't going to be enough to finish.

I don't think we're going to make our Oct 1st finish date. Even for just the interior. I haven't even ordered the furnace and we had 25 degrees outside last night. We grossly underestimated the amount of work and cost of this project. The first contractor may have been right. He guessed close to $300k start to finish for a 62x64 heated building. But that didn't include a lot of things, just the building cost. We have to be close to that now, with me doing a lot of the work. Sure would have been easier to hire a general contractor to do it all, but the contractors we have hired (for concrete and main building construction) sure haven't done a good job estimating either. Building contractor was off by at least $20k for building materials alone. Besides ordering many wrong pieces, missing stuff, and forgetting stuff altogether they have had a constant problem with communication and needing extra money.

Add to that we are suppose to bring my wife's horses here at the end of October, we haven't got a single piece of fencing up yet, the fact that I'm disabled and it takes me 3-4 time longer than most people to do anything, and you've got a recipe for stress. If it weren't for prednisone I'd be flat on my back not willing to move. Also if it weren't for my father in law doing the drywall and trim, I'd simply be crazy by now.