• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 249D 100-1 code

Jerry Lister

Have a 2017 CAT 249D track loader. Got the following error shortly after startup. Can you give me some direction on where to start looking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
upload_2022-11-4_16-14-0.jpeg

Thanks Jerry

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nothing immediately pops up but there are 10 different flavours of 249D. Post a Serial Number to dig deeper.

EDIT: The first thing would be to check the engine oil level. Did you do that and where was the oil on the dipstick.? Also was the machine on level ground when you checked it.?

Last edited:

Nige

the oil looked OK. Not sure on the level ground. I will check again this AM.
The reason I asked about the ground being level is the following comment from the O&M Manual - "If the machine is operated on severe slopes, the oil level in the engine crankcase must be at the "FULL" mark on the dipstick." So if you pulled the dipstick on less than level ground you could have seen a false oil level reading.

Also see attached. The first possibility it mentions as a cause is low oil level.

Attachments

• 100-1 Low Oil Pressure.pdf
    99.4 KB · Views: 8

Jerry Lister

The reason I asked about the ground being level is the following comment from the O&M Manual - "If the machine is operated on severe slopes, the oil level in the engine crankcase must be at the "FULL" mark on the dipstick." So if you pulled the dipstick on less than level ground you could have seen a false oil level reading.

Also see attached. The first possibility it mentions as a cause is low oil level.
Hasn't been operated on big slopes. Machine is on level ground and the oil is full

Nige

In addition to that pay close attention when you refill the oil to get it bang on the FULL mark, then keep a close eye on whether or not the oil level is goes up at all over time. That would indicate fuel getting into the oil pan from somewhere.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Did you change oil recently? Is that a logged code are an active one?

You will get that alarm on all Cat excavators after you change the oil and it takes a couple of seconds for the pump to pick it up and fill the oil filter. There is a place in there where you can see the actual oil pressure while you are running.