• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 226b thumb wheel switch replacement

Shan Singh

Has anyone found an aftermarket thumb wheel switch that works on a cat 226b skid steer it's on the right joystick . Mine has gone completely missing and the replacement is cost too much. Is there any alternative switch that can work in its place to get the auxiliary working again. Even the the data sheet for the switch would be useful.

Tyler d4c

Has anyone found an aftermarket thumb wheel switch that works on a cat 226b skid steer it's on the right joystick . Mine has gone completely missing and the replacement is cost too much. Is there any alternative switch that can work in its place to get the auxiliary working again. Even the the data sheet for the switch would be useful.
I've tried that switch is used in alot of applications last one I replaced the handle was 500 bucks or so

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The Roller Switch is not available separately and there are no details of it kicking around anywhere that I have come across.
This question has been asked a number of times and no information such as specfications, etc, has ever surfaced.
The only option is to replace the complete handle assembly.

quiksilvr

Occupation
mad scientist
I am in the process of fixing my thumbwheel switch on my 226b. i found the switch and ordered it, will be arriving in a couple days. as soon as i get it installed ill let everyone know the results. in the mean time check out the attached file hope this helps someone. the mfg of the switch is otto

Attachments

• htwm-hall-effect-miniature-thumbwheel-catalog-page.pdf
    585.5 KB · Views: 111

Nige

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but let me point out one thing here...............
According to the data sheet the switches in the link in quicksilvr's post above appeat to give a variable voltage output dependent on the movement of the thumbwheel.

The OEM thumbwheel is a PWM-type sensor that outputs a variable square wave, the duty cycle of which is proportional to the movement of the roller away from centre. It is that duty cycle signal the ECM of the machine is looking for. The voltage of the output does not vary AFAIK.

EDIT: A bit of research has led me to the conclusion that the output voltage of the thumbwheel signal can vary a little between certain fixed upper and lower limits. Above or below these limits will generate Diagnostic Codes for either "Voltage High" or "Voltage Low" for the thumbwheel sensor, but to reiterate the signal that the ECM is looking for is a duty cycle signal (see below) and not a variable output voltage from the thumbwheel. Specifically the thumbwheel signal will be approximately 50% duty cycle in the centre position, around 10% duty cycle when fully rotated in one direction away from centre, and around 90% duty cycle when fully rotated in the other direction.

upload_2022-4-11_16-53-49.png

upload_2022-4-11_16-58-32.png

Last edited:

quiksilvr

Occupation
mad scientist
when my thumbwheel switch stopped working, i disassembled it to find the magnet had rotted away and was nothing more than a clump of material. so as a temporary fix, i removed the clump of useless material and used jb weld to attach a small piece of magnet that i recycled from a laptop hard drive. it brought back partial functionality, my tiller attachment will spin forward but just not in reverse.

Last edited:

quiksilvr

Occupation
mad scientist
Not trying to be a wet blanket, but let me point out one thing here...............
According to the data sheet the switches in the link in quicksilvr's post above appeat to give a variable voltage output dependent on the movement of the thumbwheel.

The OEM thumbwheel is a PWM-type sensor that outputs a variable square wave, the duty cycle of which is proportional to the movement of the roller away from centre. It is that duty cycle signal the ECM of the machine is looking for. The voltage of the output does not vary AFAIK.

EDIT: A bit of research has led me to the conclusion that the output voltage of the thumbwheel signal can vary a little between certain fixed upper and lower limits. Above or below these limits will generate Diagnostic Codes for either "Voltage High" or "Voltage Low" for the thumbwheel sensor, but to reiterate the signal that the ECM is looking for is a duty cycle signal (see below) and not a variable output voltage from the thumbwheel. Specifically the thumbwheel signal will be approximately 50% duty cycle in the centre position, around 10% duty cycle when fully rotated in one direction away from centre, and around 90% duty cycle when fully rotated in the other direction.

View attachment 256962

View attachment 256963

with a dmm attached to the temporarily fixed thumbwheel switch, i had 5v at center 5.72v in one direction and 3.93v in the opposite direction. and yes that was at full travel. the voltage readings were stable and not fluctuating or pulsing

Nige

with a dmm attached to the temporarily fixed thumbwheel switch, i had 5v at center 5.72v in one direction and 3.93v in the opposite direction. and yes that was at full travel. the voltage readings were stable and not fluctuating or pulsing
The link to the switch that you originally posted might just work in that case. I was under the impression that they were all PWM-type, but maybe the very early models were Hall Effect. Hopefully someone else can offer an opinion.

Nige

ohh the switch is deinately hall effect without a doubt. lol
I have to apologize. I misread the model as a D Series.
Having done a bit of research it appears as though the later C & D-Series machines have a thumb roller sensor that is a PWM type. On the electrical schematic for those machine the thumbwheel input is marked "FREQ/PWM Input".
For the B models the same input to the ECM is marked "Proportional Signal" i.e. Hall Effect.
Either way it appears that either the link you supplied or the other one that I found ought to be a solution to whichever type of control handle switch is installed on a particular machine.

upload_2022-4-12_16-21-25.png

upload_2022-4-12_16-20-21.png

Nige

its all good..... im excited to get this switch. if im right and this works, it will help out so many people with the same issue
Absolutely.
I'm thinking further ahead that if what you're doing with a Hall Effect thumbwheel works as intended, then it would only be a small step to replacing a PWM thumbwheel in a later model machine. All it would need is a mini thumbwheel with the appropriate type of internals.

Anything has to be better than a $500 handle...........

quiksilvr

Occupation
mad scientist
no unfortunately i do not. yes thats the S/N prefix. that would be great if you could