• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 225 weight and overall thoughts.

dynahoescott

225 hoes

Personally I wouldn't bash the new excavators that much. There is definitely a difference all across the boards, they aren't all exactly alike. Ask my dad if he would rather go back to running our 1977 and 1982 Link Belt LS 2800s (which he ran for 10 years straight) compared to our new ones and you'll get a quick no. He said good luck trying to walk and swing and move the stick and boom at the same time like the new ones. They are so slow, and so was our 225 which was faster than the link belts. Theres no way we could keep up on repairs and fuel costs if we were running 6 of those compared to the 320Cs and Bs, JD 230C, and the 312C. We never have any major problems with the new ones and they are more productive. I'm not completely bashing the old excavators, they are great machines and tough ones. They had their time and place just like these new ones. The only time you'll typically see an older excavator used around here is in Demo work or out in the gravel pit casting gravel.

eVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO THEY`RE OWN OPINNION and you like the newer rigs, well on fuel efficiency and diagnostically you win that argument. But my point is that these new hoes are laiden with features that you can easily do without such as auto idle, computerization and the like. I used to be able to walk and swing and raise the boom while traveling on drott excavators all yhe time, yes cats were a little more involved but once you got used to your rig that problem went away. and as far as the link belt 2800a is concerned I only ran one one day I would rather be on it than a pc 200 any day it may be a little slower and a lot louder with the detroit 3-71 in it but it was as smooth as silk and powerful as a witch, AND JUST LOOK AT MY SCREEN NAME , obviously screaming detroits dont bother me at all, and that 7400a link belt I ran for a year was crazy powerful. I guess I just broke in on the older rigs and dont like todays hoes because they seem more androgenous to me, older rigs all had theyre own characteristics and todays are a dime a dozen. ( too simillar)

D&GExcavating

eVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO THEY`RE OWN OPINNION and you like the newer rigs, well on fuel efficiency and diagnostically you win that argument. But my point is that these new hoes are laiden with features that you can easily do without such as auto idle, computerization and the like. I used to be able to walk and swing and raise the boom while traveling on drott excavators all yhe time, yes cats were a little more involved but once you got used to your rig that problem went away. and as far as the link belt 2800a is concerned I only ran one one day I would rather be on it than a pc 200 any day it may be a little slower and a lot louder with the detroit 3-71 in it but it was as smooth as silk and powerful as a witch, AND JUST LOOK AT MY SCREEN NAME , obviously screaming detroits dont bother me at all, and that 7400a link belt I ran for a year was crazy powerful. I guess I just broke in on the older rigs and dont like todays hoes because they seem more androgenous to me, older rigs all had theyre own characteristics and todays are a dime a dozen. ( too simillar)

Yes, everyone has a right to their own opinion. I was stating my opinion that a lot of companies benefit from the newer excavators due to the features that they have. I wasn't bashing your opinion. Screaming detroits don't bother me either. I ran a Terex TS-14B, and a RayGo Gator with an 8v-71 on a few jobs we had, and i like the sound of the old detroits. The old Link Belts were kinda costly for us to run everyday, and so was the 225 which is why we got rid of them all.

dynahoescott

225`s

Yes, everyone has a right to their own opinion. I was stating my opinion that a lot of companies benefit from the newer excavators due to the features that they have. I wasn't bashing your opinion. Screaming detroits don't bother me either. I ran a Terex TS-14B, and a RayGo Gator with an 8v-71 on a few jobs we had, and i like the sound of the old detroits. The old Link Belts were kinda costly for us to run everyday, and so was the 225 which is why we got rid of them all.

Yes my friend and there you have it, 2 professional working men with moderately differing opinnions but respect for each both ways I can assume:drinkup

mcslamma

hi everyone, I'm new here but my question is this, will a 225 run all hydraulics on one pump, al be it slower ,I am trying to pick up an old machine and the rear pump is out of it. Need to get it on the float to bring her to my shop. Thanks for any replies in advance..

loggah

I don't belive you can run that machine on only one pump, there are three pumps in there the pumps are not dedicated to any one area when traveling you need both pumps . you would have a hard time having enough hydraulic power to do anything. I owned a 225 from 1989 until last year it was a nice dependable machine. I own two 235 B's at the moment they are tough old machines ,the new machines have them beat in operator comfort and "FUEL ECONOMY" !! one of mine has a 2 yd bucket,the other one has a labounty msd 220 scrap shear on it. they still work just like new ones. Don

mcslamma

thanks for the reply, I just want to get her on a float, i will not be diggin until i can fix that one pump , as long as it will travel straight, and i can fold up the hoe is all..are the pump flows iscolated from each other?...anyway, i am going to find out...

mitch504

Belgium was the plant that made most if not all the 215's. What letter series is yours? All the 215s I have seen had 3304 engines, not 3204s. In the old cat system the first 2 digits are the engine series (tells you bore and stroke, among other things), and the last 2 are the number of cylinders. A 3204 is a 4-cylinder that uses the same pistons, etc., as the 3208 which ia a v-8. A 3304 is a 4-cylinder that is the same series as a 3306, 6-cylinder. I have a 215C LC now and really like it, I have worked on a couple of 215 and 215Bs.

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
cat 225 are my favorite cat trackhoe we had one from germany i think a 1977 but iam not sure it still runs today with the only major thing we replaced was hydralic pump and under carrige. she fires up in any weather and will run hot in the summer cold in the winter thats how i like my machines. we also bought the machine brand new. Shes and old beast slower than the new ones but more power and alot less problems.

curtkeiser

Occupation
Farming
You're right, it is a 3304. Thanks for the info. The engine is a quiet and smooth running. It seems to have more than enough power when digging at just 3/4 throttle.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I have a 215D with a 3304 in it. Have it many years and love it to death. Yes, tracks will counter-rotate if you want them to. When you get used to the one pedal each direction and joy stick for steering it is rough for a short time getting used to using both pedals to go one direction.

Have 11,000 hours on mine and she just keeps going and going and going and going so why should I even think about trading up, I mean down, to something newer.

sandfarmer

Occupation
Farmer
Hey guys, just searching around for 225 talk, I have one with the 3304 and am looking either for a rig like mine with a bad problem (motor, hyd. etc.) to use all my good parts on or somebody needing a donor 225. My swing gearbox has a bearing out and is not coming out without excessive force I guess so I either need to sell mine or find something to do with the parts! Any leads in either direction are appreciated, contact info in profile. Curt, that's a nice looking 215, saw it over on AgTalk!