• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 225 weight and overall thoughts.

nilzlofgren

Anybody know the average weight of a 225? Also, what is the overall impression of Cats 2 series excavators in general? Thanks.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
compaired to todays excavators they are really slow and not nearly as strong. I think the same size machine today would have much more power. The 225 had around 2000psi hydrolics compaired to the 4000psi stuff of todays machines (i think i have no clue if those are right numbers)

The one my dad had from 1977-1996 seemed to be quite unreliable also (could have been his maintance program too).

Last edited:

ScottAR

I understand the Belgium made ones are slightly more desirable due to the 3304 engine. Supposed to be more reliable and better on fuel.
At least what I've heard. Someone correct me if this is incorrect.

The US built ones had the 3208 engine which is not as well liked in most circles.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I don't think the 200 series were slower than the new ones. I believe the old ones were more reliable without all of the electronics. I really liked the travel pedals on the 200 series, much easier to track straight than the modern pedals/levers.

cat 385

:beatsme:pointhead:D
I don't think the 200 series were slower than the new ones. I believe the old ones were more reliable without all of the electronics. I really liked the travel pedals on the 200 series, much easier to track straight than the modern pedals/levers.

nilzlofgren

Speaking of that, was it 1 pedal forward, and the other reverse? Can they counter rotate?

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
Speaking of that, was it 1 pedal forward, and the other reverse? Can they counter rotate?

One pedal was forward, one was reverse, with a center lever that moved side to side for direction. I am not sure if you could actually make the tracks move in opposite directions at the same time.

For their time, they were ok machines. Compaired to a 200 excavator made in the past 15 years, the CAT 225 had less percision with the controls and was slower. We were setting rock retaining walls so that was important to us.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Yes they counter rotate. The steering lever moves left to right. You can make very gradual turns, counter-rotate, or anything in between. The steering lever was located in front of you, you could use a foot on it, if you want to use both hands on the other controls.

Last edited:

dynahoescott

225 questions

the older 200 series excavators were anything but slow or unreliable, the controlability was every bit as good if not better than todays rigs being so light in the rear end. The 200 series machines had big counterweights hanging in the rear that really held you down on the ground and when really critically grading. Add to that no USELESS computers and unnecessary electronics . and still to this day I have not been on a hoe as fast as a 215b c or d ( especially the b for some reason) . the proof is in the fact that there is a lot more older 245`s around than 375`s. I can certainly see cat confused motion with progress on these new hoes, if they ever came out with one stripped down version similar to the 200 series hoes they would clean up the market:Banghead

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
the older 200 series excavators were anything but slow or unreliable, the controlability was every bit as good if not better than todays rigs being so light in the rear end. The 200 series machines had big counterweights hanging in the rear that really held you down on the ground and when really critically grading. Add to that no USELESS computers and unnecessary electronics . and still to this day I have not been on a hoe as fast as a 215b c or d ( especially the b for some reason) . the proof is in the fact that there is a lot more older 245`s around than 375`s. I can certainly see cat confused motion with progress on these new hoes, if they ever came out with one stripped down version similar to the 200 series hoes they would clean up the market:Banghead

I agree.I was just too lazy to answer the original poster who made the statement.That old 215 would fly and nobody yet made a better system to store the front window.You could open the bottom half or the top half,your choice and get visibility and protection from the elements.You could check the oil from ground level,add oil as well.The designer of that excavator was on his game!!Ron G

sultan

245s are awesome, period. The 245D was just as fast as todays 365s.

dynahoescott

I am glad you guys agree with me, most more experienced operators will I believe. I dont really see any improvement from the 300 series rigs at all from a maintenance or DEFINITELY from a performance point of view, I can do every thing with a 225dlc that I can with a 325 and the 325 feels much lighter in the back end. Also on top of that they seem much much more poorly made, the windows dont go up then they dont go down, the arm rests always break and the stupid modes are virtually worthless. I said it before and this one statement sums it up perfectly CAT CONFUSED MOTION WITH PROGRESS ON THE 300 SERIES RIGS. I know my pals Q,and buckethead would agree.

Dominion 410

Hi,

I have to agree with Dynahoescott . Spent a few months on a 215CLC back in the late eighties, and it was anything but slow. Ran real smooth, comfortable and I always like the 200 series cabs as they perched you right at the end of the track frame.The bottom open cab window is something that should be re-introduced,nice on a cool or rainy day to have the heater on but still have no window glare. The 300 series are nice,but will never take the wailing the 200 series did.

Dominion:canada

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i have run many 215's, 225's, 235's and i love them. they are a great hoe. a deuce and a quarter will get hotter than hades, though.

Dr. Ernie

I had a chance a few months ago to try and pull stumps agianst a 235, I was in a hot 320C (the owner had the pumps turned and tuned) they only way I could stay with him is when I had small stumps and he had a bunch of big stumps to slow him down. I have ran the older machines and the new ones. The new ones are nice they are quiet and comfortable but the old ones had azz and were a joy to operate.

cfw3

I love my 'ol 225. I don't think the new machines will still be digging at 30 years old like mine is. I plan on keeping mine for another 30 years as it has paid for itself several time over. Sure, it lacks the creature comforts of the new ones but I actually enjoy its 'raw' power.

D&GExcavating

Our old 225 LC was a great excavator. The 3208 was cold blooded at times and the swing brake was worn out but it was a strong one. We had it for 15 years before we sold it. In the couple years before we sold it, we hung an Add-A-Stick on the front of it and used it for a few years like that and it held up great! Got a couple of old pictures of it with the Add-A-Stick on it.

Attachments

• 225LC.jpg
    225LC.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,575
  • 225LC2.jpg
    225LC2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,581

dynahoescott

Overall I am not impressed with the new excavators at all, yes the cabs are nicer creature comforts are on the rise but aside from that? the cabs and the rest of the machine fall apart in a much faster time period than older rigs. they dont have the raw power, full of unnecessary electronics, there is no reason whatsoever for modes, what these brain surgeon product engineers have against catwalks i`ll never know and indvidual brand characteristics are totally eliminated. there isnt a dimes worth of difference between any rig out there.

D&GExcavating

Personally I wouldn't bash the new excavators that much. There is definitely a difference all across the boards, they aren't all exactly alike. Ask my dad if he would rather go back to running our 1977 and 1982 Link Belt LS 2800s (which he ran for 10 years straight) compared to our new ones and you'll get a quick no. He said good luck trying to walk and swing and move the stick and boom at the same time like the new ones. They are so slow, and so was our 225 which was faster than the link belts. Theres no way we could keep up on repairs and fuel costs if we were running 6 of those compared to the 320Cs and Bs, JD 230C, and the 312C. We never have any major problems with the new ones and they are more productive. I'm not completely bashing the old excavators, they are great machines and tough ones. They had their time and place just like these new ones. The only time you'll typically see an older excavator used around here is in Demo work or out in the gravel pit casting gravel.