• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 140H Pin puller Problem

Jim M

Occupation
Plant Operator
I am looking for help to get around a problem with the pin puller on my 140H S/N CCA, year 2003. The puller was working until the boss instructed the fitter to turn off the feature, WHY i don't know. The fitter got the loan of a special Cat electric black box tool to turn it off from the local dealers Finning here in the UK. As i have only operated the 140 for about 18 months i think this is stupid as how am i supposed to learn all the way's to operate / or utilize the grader without being able to move the link bar and use all the holes intended for the purpose ???. Can anyone tell me is there a way of by-passing this now manually or am i stuck with it like this. I work in a quarry maintaining haul roads so have been told i do not need to be able to move blade from the center hole position. Would be grateful for your help . Also i am looking for any literature , books,pdf's etc on grading techniques so i can study them and learn to become a better operator. I know experience is the key but i just need further information on the subject .

Regards

Jim M :D

Puppy

I have been running one for ten years now and have never any practical use for any hole other than middle and two far outside holes. The outside holes are used for putting the blade vertical in order to grade vertical walls or cleaning the moldboard. The two holes to either side of center don't really gain anything in my opinion. They will allow the circle some additional side movement but limit the lift on the backside. I am sure the some people have used them but for general grading the center is just fine. You can become very proficient on a blade without them.

Puppy

Forgot, two tips whatever you do to one side of the moldboard it will have the opposite effect on the other. And the other is tip the moldboard over as you get closer to grade. Full upright is for heavy cutting and rough grading. All the way over is for fine grading. I have seen lots of " blade hands " roll the blade over and try to make a two tenth cut and turn around roll it all the way up and try to finish. Best way to learn is to ask the older blade hands experience goes along way on a blade.

Puppy

Forgot, two tips whatever you do to one side of the moldboard it will have the opposite effect on the other. And the other is tip the moldboard over as you get closer to grade. Full upright is for heavy cutting and rough grading. All the way over is for fine grading. I have seen lots of " blade hands " roll the blade over and try to make a two tenth cut and turn around roll it all the way up and try to finish. Best way to learn is to ask the older blade hands experience goes along way on a blade.

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Jim M
I think someone may be pulling your leg. All that's required to disable the pin puller is to simply pull the fuse out of the fuse box or unplug the solenoid right at the pin puller. You don't need any "black box". That generation of H Series had 2 fuse boxes; one in the steering console and one in the top right corner of the cab. The OM&M located behind the seat has a chart which defines all the fuses and proper amps. Next time you're in your boss's office grab the mouse of his desk and tell him he doesn't that to run his computer!
Regards, Randy

Jim M

Occupation
Plant Operator
Thank you for your replies and advice. However regards to Randy's comment about the fuse boxes and solenoid plug, that was the first things i checked. The two on the steering column still have the fuses in and are not blown. The fitter said that the tool which he used was plugged into the multi pin plug on the gear shifter column and then he went into the computer to turn off the pin puller or is this also BS??.

Jim

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Jim
The pin puller on the 140H's runs on transmission lube oil pressure. During the pressure test and adjust there may be a way to shut off the pin puller supply so that it doesn't effect the lube oil pressure test of the trans. Next time I'm near our ET computers we'll check this out.
Regards, Randy

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've seen plenty of those just rusted into the bores and no amount of pressure short of a blasting cap would free them. If you don't use them they get stuck. I also don't recall the computer having anything to do with controlling that function.

Jim M

Occupation
Plant Operator
Thanks for your replies again. I will check things out again to see if something has been disconnected other than that it's the center hole or nothing by the looks of things. By the way, have thought any more about writing that Grader operation book I've seen people wanting you to write in previous post's on HEF Randy? If you have i would like to put my name down for one.:D

Jim