• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cast iron slag for roads

HATCHEQUIP

they use it here in the southeast for private roads and lots but its a pain to lay on working on something, just compact it or walk it down good.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Also it's lighter than crushed limestone which makes it good backfill for retainer walls. When the steel industry was in full swing in my area, slag was used as an aggregate replacement on many jobs.

Turbo21835

Wind talk coming from the EPA is they are eyeballing slag due to the heavy metals. Also the same with fly ash. It may or not be something we see being banned in the future

kevink

Thanks again will have to try a little. Thats why I love this place yall are a wealth of knowledge

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Wind talk coming from the EPA is they are eyeballing slag due to the heavy metals. Also the same with fly ash. It may or not be something we see being banned in the future

Already happening here with the fly ash and some foundry waste. They used to stockpile it on site but the State Enviro Dept is changing the reg's where it's now an industrial waste and has to be disposed of in a landfill.

Several of the lime kilns are having to cover and cap their fly ash dumps. The crazy thing is some of these dumps are so old that vegetation has basically reclaimed them. They are going in and clearing the trees and underbrush, walking/grading the piles in, covering with topsoil and seeding. Doesn't make much sense to me but I'm not an environmental engineer.:confused:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall copper slag used to be used in this area all the time. EPA went back in a few years ago and made some people pick it up and dispose as hazardous waste. Seems it had a touch of arsenic in it.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
As I recall copper slag used to be used in this area all the time. EPA went back in a few years ago and made some people pick it up and dispose as hazardous waste. Seems it had a touch of arsenic in it.
John C
The milling process for copper used arsenic in the slurry you could smell it. But I don't it was a large a mount.

alco

John C
The milling process for copper used arsenic in the slurry you could smell it. But I don't it was a large a mount.

The process doesn't actually use arsenic as I understand it, it actually produces it as a byproduct.

buckfever

Around here they used mill slag for everything. If you ever have to tie into a older sewer line around here there is a pretty good chance it was backfilled with slag and after all those years the stuff hardens like concrete.

We ran into a old slag dump once and our hitachi 160 wouldn't touch it. The developer ended up bringing in a pc1100 with a ripper to get through it.