• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case CX240

Tom Ellington

De-stroking the pumps means they put out less flow as the pressure increases. I'm going to guess that your pumps put out about 40 gallons a minute per each and around 2,000 PSI. Figure 80 gallons a minute then and we can ballpark the horsepower needed. It's about 1 horsepower per gallon a minute at 1,000 PSI. 80 gallons a minute then at 2,000 PSI would be about 160 horsepower. I'm sure your engine has that much power but let's kick that up to 3,000 PSI. Now you are having to produce 240 horses from the engine. You probably still have enough. Get up to 4,000 PSI and now that little fuel saving engine is going to just stop turning when the pumps want 320 horsepower. Go to 5,000 PSI and your engine has no way of producing 400 horsepower. So the designers figured to compromise and turn the output of the pumps back as that pressure climbs by de-stroking the pumps. Instead of 80 gallons a minute they might drop back to 40 gallons a minute and now you are back at 160 horses. The machine functions slow down some and you just learn to work with it.

You could try operating a function that only uses one pump like the bucket function or just one track at a time and see if it kill the motor.
I understand now. Both pumps are experiencing the same issue whenI use a circuit from each. Would that sound like the solenoid you were describing earlier affecting both pumps?

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
On the B series it would set a code if the pressure switch was out of range but I don't think it does that on the straight CX Series. So it may not be sensing correctly thus not giving you the HP required. There may be a second pressure switch beside it for straight travel not sure if they are the same switch. Reverse harness on switches see if it makes a difference?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It could be the valve in the pump might be stuck. I've also seen a few of those pumps where the swash plate rockers in the pump got worn and would stick and not de-stroke. Your stated hours are in range of where pump problems used to show up. That would explain why there are no codes. There may be no problems with the electrical controls at all. You should probably invest in a service manual at this point before just shotgunning parts.

Tom Ellington

It could be the valve in the pump might be stuck. I've also seen a few of those pumps where the swash plate rockers in the pump got worn and would stick and not de-stroke. Your stated hours are in range of where pump problems used to show up. That would explain why there are no codes. There may be no problems with the electrical controls at all. You should probably invest in a service manual at this point before just shotgunning parts.
I have a service manual, just wasn’t wanting to start exploratory surgery not having any experience with those pumps. And all the surrounding shops have given me an estimate of $10k and up to rebuild the pumps. I just can’t do that, and the machine runs too good and is too nice for salvage so I’m in a tight spot.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There should be a troubleshooting cook book in your manual that will identify the issue so you don't have to hunt and peck. As far as cost goes, it is what it is.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Sounds like classic pump regulation issue need to verify the regulation circuit is working right. But I've personally seen cx290 the the regulators on pump seized. Drain oil mark everything take your time take them all apart free them up reseal and reinstall. More likey it's electronic / pilot control issues. If you flip though monitor panel watch boost pressure milliamps to pump control solenoid engine rpms ECT see if something pops out

Tom Ellington

Sounds like classic pump regulation issue need to verify the regulation circuit is working right. But I've personally seen cx290 the the regulators on pump seized. Drain oil mark everything take your time take them all apart free them up reseal and reinstall. More likey it's electronic / pilot control issues. If you flip though monitor panel watch boost pressure milliamps to pump control solenoid engine rpms ECT see if something pops out
Thank you.

Tom Ellington

Update:
Coy Lancaster and rmllarue91 nailed the problem. Had nothing to do with hydraulics as suspected. The ECM was derating the power and hydraulic pressure to exactly 50% as I originally stated, due to a faulty boost pressure switch that was not throwing a code. Thank you everyone for your input regardless of the end result. Experience with this specific machine saved the day, and I really appreciate that.

Tom Ellington

Good deal it's nice to find the issue when you can't get your hands on it. So many threads i read are never updated with conclusion.

Absolutely. This forum is a database for archived troubleshooting. It is sad when someone joins only to have their question answered or problem solved by someone with the specific experience or knowledge needed, only to not post the resolution for others to follow.