• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580se shuttle/torque converter

Tenwheeler

I doubt you'll find the thing anywhere, and you can use calipers and such to measure things and get it pretty close on there, then a dial gauge to get it in spec once it's on the flywheel. I couldn't find that tool when I replaced the one in my 580C, and even asked at the local Case dealer where I was told, and I quote, "it doesn't matter". Well that don't really fly with me, let alone something that says in the manual that it MUST be aligned to no more than +/- .004", so I just measured things up, designed it and had one made up. The bigger pain I found, was getting the thing aligned to spec once it was on the flywheel, as every turn of a bolt would jack things all up. You'll be able to take out a bit of any offset you create from putting the flexplate on the TC with or without the actual alignment tool when aligning it on the flywheel.

View attachment 174923

View attachment 174924

View attachment 174925
Books and tools sound cool. The alignment pin was broke off the front of our converter. Chucked the pump hub in a lath and machined the front to 1/2 inch fine thread. Welded the pin to the head of a 1/2 bolt and cut that down to size. Drilled and threaded converter for a drain plug. Flushed out and installed pin with lock tight. Snugged flex plate to converter bolts. Centered pump hub using a dial indicator and tightened bolts. It slide right in the transmission while turning the engine by hand.KIMG1139(3).jpeg

woodburner

got it in today works like a charm thanks for the info, shuttle is a heavy old dog ha suppost to snow 8 to 10 inches tomorrow

GordH

Occupation
retired
I doubt the torque converter is at fault as it worked up until it finally slowed down in typical fashion when the clutches go. When pulled apart, lots of chunks and worn out pieces in the forward pack including the spring. Stuff I found on the internet all pointed to the clutch packs and this is what it very much looked like.