• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580L Tire Chains?

wldhoss

Is any one using chains on the rear tires for snow traction. The clearances look tight on the fender wells. I was thinking of using semi truck tire chains lengthened to fit. Thanks

Lashlander

I don't know about the L but on a K it was too tight for chains. We got around the problem by turning the wheels around. The wheel offset is deeper to the inside.The trouble is, unless you remount your tires they are backwards. We would switch them back in the spring.

I'm not sure the truck chain cross chains are long enough to work. I don't think they would come down the sides far enough that you could keep them on.

Last edited:

bill onthehill

chains on case all around

I have run chains on my 580 k 4wd front and rear for several years now. they are tire specific for r4 rear tires.they are somewhat of an H pattern with ice cutter cross chains. I got them from tire chains.com down near altoona,pa. they make all the difference in the world for getting around on the hills. Bill B. (I finally signed up after lurking since 2004)

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
If you have to flip the tires around, just swap them to the opposite sides. Then they will still face the right direction.

bill onthehill

on a 2wd I would use the "mud" or ring style chain. they are less prone to breakage from spinning than the cross bar style. you see a lot of farmers running this type for spreading manure in the snow. try tirechains.com down in Pa. they have a pretty good selection of truck and tractor chains. Bill

youngoperator

Occupation
chainsaw faller/ heavy equipment operator
i use an H-chain style on my 580 CK, i dont have to really worry about fender clearence to much.