• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580k stopping running 2 hours after fuel filter change

rdavison39

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, self employed
Hi there - Seems I fix one thing and then another problem surfaces! I changed the fuel/water separator on my case yesterday. I filled the filter up with diesel and lubed the gasket before installing. I was totally prepared for an air lock to occur but the machine ran beautifully for about 2 hours - and then it stopped. I started it again and it ran for maybe 30 seconds and then stopped. And then any subsequent tries the engine just turned but never caught.

It had the symptoms of no fuel so I treated it as I was expecting to do - trying to remove the airlock. Here are the steps I followed as its been about 6 years since I had to do this.

1) Crack nut on fuel filtergas1.jpg

2) Cracked the vent on the injection pump and pumped had pump - diesel started dripping out. I tightened it back up

gas2.jpg

3) I cracked all 4 injectors slightly and cranked the engine - nothing came out. I then disconnected 2 injectors completely and cranked for at least 45 seconds - i didn't want to burn out my starter! No fuel came out.

gas3.jpg

I should see fuel come out, correct ? Did I not crank enough long enough ? Are there any other tests to try ?

Thx in advance for any tips/guidance

Ron

joe--h

There is a second bleeder in the lid just above the one you already bled. Try that.

Joe H

rdavison39

Occupation
Thanks Joe - I will try that and report back. Does it make sense that an airlock would show up 2 hours after installing the filter ? Is it possible the injection pump has failed ?

Also - when I bleed these vents on the injection pump - should i be cranking the engine? The hand pump doesn't feel like its doing anything....

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Pull the throttle to WIDE OPEN and try to bleed it again..
Loosen the bleeder by the name plate and spin the engine. It should shoot about a city block.. lol. THEN snug it back up..

rdavison39

Occupation
Thx - when you say "spin" the engine you mean try and start it.....not spin it down by the coupler by hand correct ? And just loosen that lower nut by the name plate - don't remove it, correct ?

rdavison39

Occupation
Is the fuel solenoid opening ?
Hi Billrog - I'm not sure - how do i test that? Should I hook up a 12v to see if I hear a click ? And to show my ignorance, where exactly is the fuel solenoid located ?

rdavison39

Occupation
gas4.jpg

I removed this vent screw on the injection pump completely and then cranked the engine - and then gave full throttle. Diesel slowly dripped out - nothing shot out as "pumpguy" suggested it should. Does this mean the injection pump is pooched ? Or something else like the fuel solenoid not working preventing fuel from reaching the injection pump as Billrog suggested.....

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I missed that part.. I should have known it had a solenoid..
Remove the solenoid.. older styles have a removable spring and plunger.. if it’s the older style, remove the guts a screw back in.. THAT will eliminate any electrical gremlins..
Check to see if fuel comes out of the bleeder now..
Be sure that the filter is full..
Hold the throttle to wide open and try to start the engine with the key..(is that better)

rdavison39

Occupation
Thanks pumpG - can you point me to the solenoid - i've been hunting through my service manual and onLine parts manual but don't see where it is located. My case is circa 1980...so probably the older style....

rdavison39

Occupation
Ah....I see it. But holy crap its not easy to get to. Do you have to remove the pump injector first ?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
No, it just looks that way..
15/16 wrench from the side & use the box end to loosen it and use ur fingers from there..
Or a socket..

Last edited:

rdavison39

Occupation
So at first I thought it was the small nut at the end until you mentioned 15/16" wrench. The problem I have is the bucket is down getting in the way of everything so getting a larger wrench to turn this solenoid is next to impossible. I might give myself some room if i remove that nut on the very bottom..,thoughts?gas5.jpg

rdavison39

Occupation
i can't even get a small crescent wrench to turn...i did hook up a 12v battery and when I completed the circuit to the solenoid I could hear a faint click - not sure how loud its suppose to sound. Unless I can remove that nut piece I'm kinda stuck - I did apply some pressure to loosen it (ready for fuel to dump) but it did not want to budge and I did not want to force lest I damage the pump

thepumpguysc

Occupation
If u can hear it clicking faintly, it’s good..
The problem with that tho, it’s possible for the voltage to drop off while cranking.. that’s why it’s best to take the guts out.
Can u get a deep wall socket on it.?? How about a shallow socket.?? A shallow might fit but u can only get a little of the ratchet in it.. just enough to turn the socket..

rdavison39

Occupation
Well, I could not get the solenoid out - maybe if I cut my 15/16 in half and shaved it down I could make it work. So i put everything back together and then with the fuel injectors still off i tried once more time to crank the engine - and low and behold some fuel came out of all 4 injectors! I then tighten loosely tightened the injectors up and cranked again. ANd then finally made all 4 snug and then it started right away. Nothing really but time passed and the temperature rose - other than that I have no idea why it would not fire up and spit out any fuel and then at the end no issue

I feel bad if I wasted anybody's time but thanks for stepping me through this. I hope I never have to change out the solenoid!

Cheers.....Ron