• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580E injector linkage died

silverstr8p

I was running my 580E just fine, but when I shut it off it now won't start. I looked and noticed the injector pump linkage came unscrewed. It just died recently for no reason and I was able to re-attach the linkage and it worked, but now it won't. Seems like there's something inside the pump that the little shaft isn't engaging with or something? Someone must have worked on it a long time ago and used a die instead of a nut for some reason, but it worked like that for decades. Here's a picture:
580e_injector.jpg

Can you take the top off while it's on the tractor and see what's wrong with the linkage, or do I have to pull the pump off the tractor? I think it's a Delphi pump.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Now THATS one for the books..LOl..
Under the "die" is the throttle shaft.. the shaft is flatted on 2 sides & it fits in the "slot" on the LEVER..
It probably came out of the slot.. not a big deal..
Yes its a Delphi DPA pump.. ALL the nuts are the same, so if you go/call a fuel shop to get one, they'll know whatcha need..
it looks as tho the throttle shaft is broken?? so you'll have to remove the cover to replace.
YES, it can be done inplace w/o removing the pump..
Your looking at about 12.00 for the gaskets & orings, 25.00 for the shaft + shipping.
I need the pump # to tell you the correct throttle shaft #..

Last edited:

silverstr8p

Thanks for the info :)

Here's the data plate, I don't know which number would be the most useful:
580e_injector_plate.jpg

So do you just unbolt the top cover and pull the little doo-dads out that need replacing, or do you need a Swedish tool made of unicorn tears to get it apart without breaking important things?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Sorry for the late response.. lost internet for aday & 1/2..
The thr shaft p# is > 7123-77L but requires a new bushing, p# 7139-433B
The new thr. shaft is sturdier & wont work w/o the new bushing..
Theres thousands of write-ups on how to get the TC off & what to watch out for.. most written by me..Lol

silverstr8p

Okay, I managed to get the parts thanks for the help @thepumpguysc :) and put them in. Here's what the inside looks like, in case anyone else is doing this:

580e_injector_top.jpg

When I got it back together it ran good, then died about 30 minutes later while driving down the highway back to the shop :/

It seems like the injector pump is just starving for fuel, so now I suspect the mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block, I guess it's the next thing I have to replace to track this down. Weird, because it'll run perfect for awhile and then die in a way that you have to hook a chain on it and drag it home.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Yup, filters, lift pump, something in the tank, electric shut off solenoid going out.??
Replace the first # in the P# w/ a 3 for cummins parts.

Dave Neubert

Drain your fuel tank I have seen floaters in there that will block off the supply and when it dies the suction is broken and it releases. But change all filters and check your lines and elbows blow them out with air

silverstr8p

My first step was to replace filters. The next suspect thing was the primer level on the mechanical fuel pump, it just spun on the shaft so I took it off and fixed it, but I kind of think maybe the pump's just old and tired. I have to pull it off and find a part number somewhere so I can get a new one. I don't know why the filters are on the output side of the mechanical pump, you'd sort of think the fuel would be filtered before the pump? Anyway, that's how this is set up.

When it died on the side of the road, I opened up the supply line to the mechanical pump and diesel ran out, so I'm thinking the fuel tank/line must not be blocked. If I bled the injector and got the air out, it'd probably run, but something is introducing air into the injector pump, then it quits.

Oh, and after I took that picture, I cleaned up the whole area so it's not so nasty.