• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK injectors, PS filter, fuel tank cleaning methods, and injector pump linkage

dirty rice

Hi guys, I have some random questions pertaining to a backhoe I'm trying to resurrect. I'm in the process of replacing the injectors on a Case 580CK serial number 8350809. The part book shows three injectors, A37836, A51234, and A140829. Which part number do I go with and any particular brand?

Also, in the attached picture, a spring (circled in green) is tied to the throttle linkage and the crankcase vent tube. Where does it really belong? It has what appears to be OEM paint underneath, and the throttle seems to move fine without it. How does the shutoff cable attach to the pump? Right now, the cable end is not bent/hooked and just sitting there. I have to get off the machine and turn it off.

Is there anyway to clean sediment out of the fuel tank water trap? When I turn the drain cock, I have to use a stiff wire to clear the hole out of what looks like sand before diesel comes out. After a few weeks, when I open the drain again, I have to repeat the procedure. There seems to be quite a bit of crap at the bottom of the tank.

Lastly, where is the power steering filter located for this tractor? Thanks!

Attachments

• Resized_20180522_183744_6478.jpg
    Resized_20180522_183744_6478.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 44

Delmer

Typically with injectors that old they'll all cross to another three numbers and then you have your choice of any of the six.

What's wrong with that spring? it was probably added after the linkage stuck a few times, which is no fun with a torque converter shuttle shift if you're not expecting it.

Pressure wash the fuel tank. IF it's removable, strap it to a concrete mixer and add broken glass and turn till clean.

Equipmentguy224

. IF it's removable, strap it to a concrete mixer and add broken glass and turn till clean.
If you don't have a concrete mixer, I saw a video where guy jacked up one side of his tractor and tied the tank to the rim/tire. He put it in gear and let it idle for awhile. Its even easier for you since you have the stabilizers and don't need a bunch of jacks to lift up the machine.

dirty rice

Well, I was kind of wary about the spring since it has been jury-rigged on. The previous owner just looped it over the throttle and twisted it around the vent tube.

So, aside from draining the tank and taking it off, there's no way to siphon the junk from the tank? It looks to be a pain to remove since it is sitting under the loader structural support.

Has anybody replaced the PS filter? Looks like I just remove a single nut holds the reservoir on, and another one that holds the filter on?

Last edited:

Delmer

Well, I was kind of wary about the spring since it has been jury-rigged on. The previous owner just looped it over the throttle and twisted it around the vent tube.

I can see that, would you prefer to have the throttle stick on you a few times before you put it back on?

You can pressure wash a tank. If you don't want to do that, look up the "suck bucket" here, and rinse with the drained and settled diesel. Siphoning isn't going to do much.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
The suck-bucket WORKS GREAT.. do it.. its easy to make as long as you have a 5 gallon bucket, a shop vac & some hose laying around..
The front seals{2} on the pump are P#> 10453.
The mounting oring for the pump to engine is> 10519
BEFORE you spend the money for the seals>> run your finger inside the pump & feel for any grooves in the brass pilot tube in front of the pump.. where the drive shaft goes..
IF there are grooves..STOP.. The tube should be replaced..
The seals hold fuel OUT OF the engine oil.. IF you catch a new seal in one of the grooves & flip it.. its instant "fuel in the oil".. & you don't want THAT..

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The spring was put on because the original spring under the fuel tank for the throttle rod broke and it's really a pain in the butt to put on. The power steering filter is easy to replace, remove acorn nut and catch oil in can or bucket, remove nut that holds filter, replace filter and reverse process. As far as the injectors take them out and take them to a local diesel shop for replacements.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
There are 100's of replacement injectors on the net.. price is up to you..
The P# is stamped into the body where the fuel inlet tube meets the main body.. up on the "stem"..
Stanadyne {OEM} injectors run around 80.+ each.. while other remans or imports run anywhere from 25.-50.00..
There is a rubber grommet that seals the return T.. MAKE SURE to get some.. or you stand a GOOD CHANCE the new injector will leak..
Some injectors come WITH the return T.. while others DONT.. ASK..
There IS a thread about a fella breaking one off in the head.. TRY to rent the PROPER TOOL..
Good luck & keep us posted on your progress..

dirty rice

Thanks for all the responses. I got the injectors out easily with a slide hammer setup from harbor freight. I'm waiting for the replacements to come in. Thanks for the tip about the rubber grommets. Meantime, I'll get the PS filter changed out and I might tackle the crud in the tank...or I might have to backburner it for some other time.

Coy, thanks for explaining the spring thing. That makes sense now. Cobbled together stuff kind of bothers me, and I rathered the issue be fixed properly and it appeared that the linkage still returned to idle so I was perplexed. I'll re-install the spring in this case.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
The P# for the grommets is 17721.. I just ordered a pk of 10 for a customer who "didn't need them".. AFTER he asked me to order them..just my luck.
Isnt the throttle return spring under the floor board?? There have been a few threads on the 580ck rebuild & its come up SEVERAL times.. as to the proper placement.{theres pictures}
IF memory serves me correct.. the spring goes on the rod just BEFORE it turns up thru the floor.. & attaches to a tab..??
BUT> it really doesn't matter where its attached..as long as you have 1.. MORE is BETTER than none.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The P# for the grommets is 17721.. I just ordered a pk of 10 for a customer who "didn't need them".. AFTER he asked me to order them..just my luck.
Isnt the throttle return spring under the floor board?? There have been a few threads on the 580ck rebuild & its come up SEVERAL times.. as to the proper placement.{theres pictures}
IF memory serves me correct.. the spring goes on the rod just BEFORE it turns up thru the floor.. & attaches to a tab..??
BUT> it really doesn't matter where its attached..as long as you have 1.. MORE is BETTER than none.
You may be right about the throttle return spring I was thinking about the 580B instead of the 580CK.

Gilbert603

I just got done a job on replacing the lower throttle linkage shaft on a 74 580b. While doing that I replaced the throttle return spring. Wasn't exactly easy for me being new to tractors but can certainly be done. I had to remove the fuel tank, but to do that the air cleaner, valve cover, etc had to be removed first to get the clearance. Luckily I was able to do it with out removing the loader frame cross tube directly above the tank.