• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK: drain plug for hydraulic system?

brian capouch

I want to put fresh hydraulic fluid in my 580CK, and on many of the online fora the consensus seemed to be that there was a drain plug in the loader frame.

If there is, I haven't been able to find it! I hope someone can point me in the right direction, and also to verify that once I've drained it, 11 gallons is what I want to refill, given it's a standard loader/backhoe combo?

Thanks.

fliptop10

Occupation
Sales Manager
You will find two drain plugs on the inside of each loader frame side near the torque tube. The return line from the filter unit divides in two under the fuel tank and sends the fluid back to each side of the loader frame. Where that return line enters the loader frame is the drain plug. One on each side, on the bottom of that T fitting. Both sides must be drained.
When refilling, remove the square plug at the top/front of the right side loader frame near where it bolts to the radiator grille wrapper. It should be a small square plug that will unscrew. That will allow the system to be filled and let air out that could be trapped in the hollow frame. Fill system through the top of the right side loader frame until fluid is coming out of the plug on the front of the loader frame. Replace that plug. Next remove the plug in the side of the right loader frame, kinda behind the return to dig linkage and directly below the fill port on top. Fill system the rest of the way until fluid seeps from that hole. Replace plug on the side and the breather cap at the top and you are done. Should take close to 11 gallons from empty to full. Run the tractor and actuate the controls for the loader and the hoe. Then check level again by removing the side of frame plug and adding fluid. Usually drops after usage.

Last edited:

brian capouch

Thank you!! I'd been out grubbing around underneath the loader and found the drain plugs. I wasn't sure about the procedure, so now I'm squared away.