• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580C rear end problem?

fishfighter

On my 580C, when moving forward, I started hearing a popping noise coming from the rear end. :mad: It just started doing this a couple days ago.

So, any idea at what I'm looking at? Got to try and find my shop manual. No telling were my dear wife hide it.:Banghead

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
remove the floor and pull the top cover to inspect the insides before further damage is done

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Just got done doing a ring and pinion on my 580c a couple months ago I have the manual online link if needed

sheepfoot

Drain the oil in the rear end, remove the rear cover plate and see what you have. It holds 5 gal of lube and easier to get to. Depending on what you see inside we can tell you the best way to go about fixing it. I mostly drop the trans/rear out since it only takes less than a hour and saves time when re shimming for correct adjustments.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
found that to be the best way as well. I used the backhoe to lift the machine up and push my self forward to expose the axle

fishfighter

Thanks guys. Really not looking forward of doing this, but it has to be done. I'm sure there are some teeth that are missing. The popping sound is not good. I will give y'all a report back later today.

fishfighter

After fixing a flat tire on the front, I moved the hoe to were I will be working on it. Took an hour just to wash the mud, remove the seat and floor plate.

I drained it and then opened the top plate. Not a happy camper.

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

So now I have to deal with this and I'm still looking for my manual. All other gears look good. No slack in anything. Any pointers as to were I can get these parts? One seal to the brake has been leaking, so I will be replacing both of them too!

fishfighter

Did you have to change all hose parts? I'm looking at going the cheapest route that I can. I only use the hoe on my place. Never put it on a road.

And thanks.

Link not working.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
nope I changed them due to metal contamination in the bearings will take them out if not sooner then later . I hate to do things twice so I did what I did. Its like a cheap insurance I also changed the shims with new it was easier to adjust with new shims. PM me your email i will send you a copy of the manual

Edit: I basically had no pinion left
A07B0F38-8881-4347-BB4D-68E117FAC530_zpsll13dqk9.jpg

Last edited:

fishfighter

Thanks again. Found my manual and started pulling things. Someone has been in this before, Reason I know is that one of the flat head screws is not there. I should have it apart tomorrow morning. I will inspect everything and go from there.

fishfighter

I'm going to try and do it in place, but if I have to, I will. I will see once I get the ring gear section out and start mic parts.

fishfighter

As I thought someone was in it before and they didn't do it right. Instead of pulling the transaxle, I cheated. The cross member right over the transaxle, I had cut that sucker out. No problems pulling everything and cleaning. I will weld it back in place once I'm done.

Now as to why the ring gear got ate up. In this picture, the bolts that bolt the ring gear in place, half of them were very loose and some of them were shear off.

IMG_1059.JPG

That is right out of the transaxle. No other problems on any of the gears and bearing. Done flushed it a couple times with diesel. The sump was clean besides pieces of metal.

Time to start ordering parts.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
ouch man when installing the new one use red locktite and use the torque sequence the book says

Plongson

There is nothing worse than following a HACK mechanic. Some of the things I've followed up on over the years is amazing...and scary.

GOOD LUCK with your project!

xgiovannix12

Occupation
There is nothing worse than following a HACK mechanic. Some of the things I've followed up on over the years is amazing...and scary.

GOOD LUCK with your project!
Indeed. I like to do everything in the right procedure and to do the job right in the 1st place. Like i suggested to replace the bearings and races . Yea you might be able to get away with it but its just an insurance that everything is new.