• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580C (Extendahoe) restoration

GWS

Looks good. What suggestion did you finally use on removing the bushings? I will be doing the same sometime in the future and any insight is great.

Thanks.

If you are referring to the swing cylinder bushings, I have decided not to remove them this time. Only a little wear and now that I know how to get the cylinders out I can do that in the future if needed. I made a tool to remove the swing tower and boom bushings that does not require any welding, heating or hammering. It pushes the bushing out and also presses the new bushing in pretty easily.

Attachments

• DSCN1313 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1313 (Small).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 804
  • DSCN1312 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1312 (Small).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 803

OldandWorn

I checked the wear on the bushings in the frame and top plate against the bushings on the swing cylinders. The gap averages about .018 gap. I think bushings on this model usually runs about .010 clearance so I'm looking at .008 wear. Is this enough to warrant the cost and work needed to replace them for swing cylinders?

Tough decision, but it is apart at the moment. Because of geometry a little slop in this area adds up pretty quickly. I’m somewhat of a perfectionist and I can tolerate all of the other loose joints in my hoe except for this one, but that’s just me.

You do very nice work BTW.

GWS

Tough decision, but it is apart at the moment. Because of geometry a little slop in this area adds up pretty quickly. I’m somewhat of a perfectionist and I can tolerate all of the other loose joints in my hoe except for this one, but that’s just me.

You do very nice work BTW.

Yea, I went back and forth on replacing them or not. Finally decided I can live with them for now. Before I took the hoe off, I used it a little and did not hear or feel any noise or slop during the swing. Seemed to be pretty smooth. I did find slop in just about every other bushing on the hoe so they are all getting replaced. The swing cylinders don't move all that much in the bushings and I'm hoping they can work with a little wear on them. Now that I am familiar with how it comes apart it's not that big a deal. I plan on pouring a concrete pad this fall that I can park it on anytime I need a level/clean surface to work off of. I am thinking also it might be worthwhile to install an a-frame hoist on the slab for removing the backhoe boom. I thought I could hold it with my mid size tractor loader but found out how wrong that was when the boom stood the tractor on it's nose the minute I pulled the pins.

GWS

Decided to tackle the backhoe valve today to see what I was up against. Turned out to be pretty simple work. Glad I decided to go ahead and replace the o-rings. Took the swing valve relief apart and found it rusted and an o-ring missing on the top check valve plug. It's the far right plug in the picture. Whoever worked on it last either forgot it or didn't have the special white o-ring and just left it out. That may or may not contributed to the ghosting to the left all the time. Next I'll see what the spool looks like. At least they are pretty easy to repair with the valve still in the frame.

Attachments

• DSCN1315 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1315 (Small).JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 798
  • DSCN1314 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1314 (Small).JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 808

GWS

I bet that was an interesting moment... I have had a few like that. :D

Good looking work!!

Dave

It was a case of completely miss judging the weight of the boom compared to the tractor. Turned out the boom weighed more than the tractor. I have a friend that has a wrecker for towing semi's and he will hook up to it when it's ready to go back on which I hope will be this week. So far I have not found any part of the poor thing that does not need repair or some kind of work. I keep finding things missing or put together wrong. At first glance it didn't appear to be in to bad of shape. After I got into it though it looks like it has been abused and neglected for a long time. Can't complain, it was going to be scrapped and I talked the guy into letting me have it for the scrap cost so I didn't start off with a lot of money in it. By the time I get done it will have about its value in rebuild parts and work so I'm still happy with it.

dwloop

How coincidental, one of my best buds owns a wrecker / diesel shop in southeast Missouri... He has 6 wreckers, from the standard rollback to a massive triple axle rig to tow the tractor trailers.

I understand about the value of your tractor, I am about in the same position. I gave a little for mine and will probably have close to $5K in it when I complete it. But it will close to new when I am done, and I will have saved that or more not renting the local 580 SM at $800 and weekend with delivery to work on my property in Wayne Co, Missouri. Plus I get the fun of working on it. Yes I am one of the those sorry individuals that actually enjoy working on older equipment. I have rebuilt old Jeeps as a hobby for sometime, so I am quite used to bringing rusted POS's back to life then selling them for another project. My wife is a saint....

Like I said before, looks like good work and I enjoy seeing the pics. I guess I need to start returning the favor when I am working on mine. The next project is replacing the front axle, as someone had seen fit to weld different spindles on the ends. I pick up the new to me axle between Christmas and New Years in Arkansas.

Dave

GWS

Post some pic's when you replace the axle. I am sure the pins in mine are as bad as the rest of them and would like to see how you get it out and back in. Most of the work is not all that hard but there are a few parts that need a hoist or small crane. I would like to find the front loader arms. Mine have been welded up with plates and are showing some small cracks. Not sure how hard those are to replace or for that matter even find.

dwloop

My loader arm has been welded as well. Most that I find have been welded at the cross beam behind the bucket. The unit I am getting the axle from has been as well, but I am going to check it anyhow when there. I have a bigger MIG and a pipeliner in my shop at the country, I may just re-do mine.

Dave

GWS

That is where mine are cracked. Must be a weakness in that area. One side has been repaired with plates. If I don't find a good set of arms, I may wind up doing the same repair to the other side.

Attachments

• DSCN1319 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1319 (Small).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 767
  • DSCN1316 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1316 (Small).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 767
  • DSCN1317 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1317 (Small).JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 761
  • DSCN1318 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1318 (Small).JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 770

GWS

For what I will be using it for, welding would probably be sufficient. I do think that welding the plates on would make it stronger though. This poor machine has been through a lot of abuse and neglect.

GWS

I couldn't find boom pins except at a Case dealer and they wanted $100.00 per pin and had to be ordered and would take a week or more. I could get the swing tower pins for $100.00 a pair from another source. Appears these pins are no longer made by Case and the replacement is a 200 plus dollar weld on system that I didn't really want to do. So I decided to cut down the swing tower pins and save some money. You do have to have carbide drill bits and a chop saw. Tried cutting them with a band saw and only managed to shine them up and dull the teeth. Regular drill bits won't even start to cut these things.

The grease hole has to be drilled about 3/4" deeper and a new hole moved to the center and plug the existing hole. Took about 1 1/2 hours per pin mostly in cutting them down on the chop saw.

Attachments

• DSCN1322 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1322 (Small).JPG
    44 KB · Views: 886
  • DSCN1320 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1320 (Small).JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 862
  • DSCN1321 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1321 (Small).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 922
Last edited:

GWS

Replaced the boom cylinder lower bushings in the swing tower. Had to make a smaller version of the puller. Total time to replace both bushings was 15 minutes. No heating, welding or hammering.

Attachments

• DSCN1329.JPG
    DSCN1329.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 843
  • DSCN1324.JPG
    DSCN1324.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 852
  • DSCN1325.JPG
    DSCN1325.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 856
  • DSCN1326.JPG
    DSCN1326.JPG