• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B shuttle pump...

g ryan

Occupation
part time construction official
case 580b shuttle pump

By the way, I'm dying to know what the pressures are at the valve body, the pump pressure, and torque charge pressure so I know what does work on this particular unit and now I can check them if a problem exists. Manuals are god but I find that actual pressure reading when working well is valuable info in my field of practice. I will post them here. Ron.

Ron,read U'r posts w/ Phil's..Big Help. This is what I'm playing with: Loss of power like Ur's but my dash gauge is in the Green and still minimum power in
foward and rev. I tested the pressure @ the shuttle valve cover (removed the small pipe plug and installed a gauge) and measured 25 psi.. Was that
correct place to test ??? but my ??? is How can it be in the green on the dash gauge and measure 25psi at the spool ?? any help.. G ryan

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Seems like your reading convertor or lube pressure - heres some help from service manual

Attachments

• 580b shuttle pressure pic.jpeg
    580b shuttle pressure pic.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,723
  • 580b shuttle pressure spec.jpeg
    580b shuttle pressure spec.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,326
Last edited:

g ryan

Occupation
580b shuttle shift problem con't

Alrman, thx for the pic's and U're right, I did have the wrong port for clutch pressure.....My dash gauge stays in the Green even w/ loss
of power in f/r.....U said that could be a REAL problem, what did U mean..?? GR

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
.....U said that could be a REAL problem, what did U mean..?? GR

Not sure when I actually said that......... But, if you have pressure & hardly any drive, it could mean you have no friction material left on fwd plates in clutch pack.
Have you done the tests to actually see fwd & rev pressure? Checked dump valve adjustment / pressure? - What were the results?

g ryan

Occupation
Alrman, Haven't checked the pressures yet but will soon then..I'll send results...But this low power is in both F/Rev. makes me think flow problems.....GR

deltl1ks

Great thread, Posting to get post count up and also so I have the thread marked. I just purchased a 580B Yesterday and it's running great I think. Previous owner stated he had rebuilt the pump and transmission. He seemed like a stand up guy so I think I got a decent deal. I do have some fluid leaks I'll have to locate and fix. My B runs decent but besides the leaks the fuel gauge does not work. Do these "B's" have a glow plug or something. I start it by turning the switch to the "on run position" and hitting the starter button. It' takes some time to start though. I heard this is worse in cold weather. If I turn the switch all the way over to the start position and hit the button..nothing happens. Seems it almost run's the battery down before it starts. Runs great once it's purring. it needs paint for sure.
I paid 4800.00 I think that was a great price for a tractor that runs, digs and lifts. The only issues are the leaks.

g ryan

Occupation
Hi Deltl1ks, sounds like U got a decent buy...no, there is no glow plug but i believe there is an oil sump heater, probally need to buy a new one as they burn out, at least
mine has..just shoot a blast of starting fluid down the air intake just prior to cranking and U should be good to go in cold weather. U'r leaks can be repaired but
time and money is required....U can buy kits (cylinder) from CASE but shop the net first, also U'll need a tool for the cylinder end and some heat.They're tough
to break lose. I suggest U buy the shop manual, it's well worth it..GR

jerrywf

Check me and see if I got this right. I got a brand new 59/64th drill bit and a new 3/4 npt pipe tap . Now I measure 3 1/2 inches back from the back edge of the hole and X marks the spot . I am going to put a stop on the bit so as to not hit the screen. They say measure twice and saw once in this case I think measure three times and drill once. What do you think? Thanks for any reply from jerrywf

pac11adp

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I did 3.5 inches and 3 would have been better. I'll try to attach a picture. You won't believe the stuff you're going to pick off that screen. If your oil is contaminated you're going to use lots of oil (or diesel) whatever in order to get it clean. Even with cranking it and idling for a few seconds with the filter line off and running the old stuff through the lines and into a bucket till it runs clean you will still need to fill and dump the housing a few times till you get clean oil.

Mike
Powell River
HD Mechanic

case 580b trans inline holes.jpg

jerrywf

Mike, wow. what I found in the screen was about what I expected besides a bunch of black crap the was a lot of blue silicone gasket sealer, complete clogged up. Drilled the hole as per the info you provided and hit dead center. Used a piece of 3/4 pvc pipe as a stop/gauge on the 59/64th bit. Will finish or work at cleaning out the crud Saturday morning . Don't know if this will fix the problem but sure looks like it will. I want to thank you and all the guys that helped with info. This is sure a great bunch of guys, What a great forum. Thank you from Jerrywf .

jerrywf

pac11adp I got her going today , trans/shuttle shift works fine so far. Got tired of flushing with diesel fuel and put the garden hose in the box and flushed with water. got a hand full of crud out mostly paint and blue gasket sealer. seems to work fine for now, but expect to have to clean out again. I am trying to find out what goes in the diff. and gear box The rear stick is touching nothing. Also have a right steering cylinder leaking ,Got to find out how to take it apart. Again Thanks to your self and every one that helped with Info jerrywf

badbill1969

Powell river guy with 580b with same problem

I did 3.5 inches and 3 would have been better. I'll try to attach a picture. You won't believe the stuff you're going to pick off that screen. If your oil is contaminated you're going to use lots of oil (or diesel) whatever in order to get it clean. Even with cranking it and idling for a few seconds with the filter line off and running the old stuff through the lines and into a bucket till it runs clean you will still need to fill and dump the housing a few times till you get clean oil.

Mike
Powell River
HD Mechanic

View attachment 108416
Hey mike
I have a 74 580b .my case backhoe won't go forward or backwards,but when I put it up on its stabilizers the wheels will go forward or reverse.
Do you think I have the same problem as you and did drilling and cleaning the filter help your machine.

Brian
Powell river bc
Canada

badbill1969

Powell river guy with 580b with same problem

Mike
Powell River
HD Mechanic

View attachment 108416
Hey mike or forum
I have a 74 580b .my case backhoe won't go forward or backwards,but when I put it up on its stabilizers the wheels will go forward or reverse.
Do you think I have the same problem as you and did drilling and cleaning the filter help your machine.

Brian
Powell river bc
Canada

pac11adp

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Brian, what's the history of the machine... did it just stop one day or has it been getting worse? What does the oil look like? If it's all good I'd sure take a look at the "disconnect linkage" and it's measurements found earlier in this thread around post 51. You can verify all this with the clutch pressure gauge reading too low.

I firmly believe that every one of these machines with symptoms or not (yet) they should be drilled in that spot and have the screen cleaned out.

Mike

Hey mike or forum

Brian
Powell river bc
Canada

Last edited:

badbill1969

Hello mike thanks for the comeback.the machine sat for around 8 years .i change the filter at the radiator and changes the fluid in shuttle . When I put the machine up on stabilizers the maching goes into forward and reverse ,but when it's on the it's wheels it tries to go forward and backwards.some times it grabs and works for a very short time
.brian

Cord440

Did it work for you?

Hello mike thanks for the comeback.the machine sat for around 8 years .i change the filter at the radiator and changes the fluid in shuttle . When I put the machine up on stabilizers the maching goes into forward and reverse ,but when it's on the it's wheels it tries to go forward and backwards.some times it grabs and works for a very short time
.brian
I will be doing it soon.

pac11adp

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Great. You may want to clean the screen off again after you've ran it for a few hours. Have a look at the "clean" oil you just drained and decide if you're going to pour it back in or change it again.

Yaleforklifts

Hey super
I have a 580 b old one I need to know where to drill the hole to clean out bottom of the strainer but I need a picture of 8t and measurements to know where I'm going with this Thanks