• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 Super E 4x4 shuttle problem

rockbust

HI All, I am having some trouble with the shuttle on my backhoe. when I first start it up it moves ok. then after a while forward does not work and reverse slips and engages and slips. then if I shut it off for just a few seconds it will start to move again but any pushing into anything will cause it to go out. Today I drained the fluid twice from the pan but did not drop the pan yet. it is a 4x4 and it seems I would need to remove the drive shaft and the protective steel housing running along under the shaft and pan. Can anyone offer any advice on where to start troubleshooting this? I guess my next step will be to drop the driveshaft and pan and check the screen? then what??
Thanks

Finca SDR

Hello,
Hope it's just a dirty screen or something but I just had some awful problems sort of like this in a Deere 310d which might have similar Borg Warner parts. When it was cold it'd start up and move around, maybe even work a little. But once the reverser oil got warm it'd lose forward power. Started off mild but eventually got worse over time until I couldn't drive forward after five minutes.

The torque converter had gotten crooked and was knocking everything else crooked inside the reverser, which scratched some deep rings in the forward piston and the housing where the shaft comes out, as the oil got warm and thin it'd squirt through the scratches and not keep any pressure inside.

Machine shop put sleeves on the scratched surfaces but after a long painful expensive process of figuring out what the heck the problem was. Has to pull it apart three times.

Hope this can help your diagnostics

Sebastian

rockbust

thanks for sharing. today i ran it for about 20 min and after it would barely move even after shutting down and restarting.

Vetech63

Make sure your declutch valve isn't sticking. Sounds like low pressure or bad clutch plates.