• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK B dipper cylinder parts difficulty

Glen Weldon

Good day y'all.

I've been having a terrible time finding cylinder rebuild parts for the dipper cylinder on my Case 580 CK B. It's a 4" piston, 2" rod. They come with 2-piece pistons and 1-piece pistons. My parts manual doesn't show the 1-piece design. I've pulled the cylinder apart and it's a 1-piece piston, but it doesn't look like the piston I've seen for sale on web sites. The cylinder has "G89883" stamped on it. The official Case website finds zero results. Searching on "Case G89883" produces no cylinder related items. I first ordered the rebuild kit for the cylinder shown in my manual (2-piece piston) from HW Parts store. When I took the cylinder apart, I found a 1-piece piston. Then I purchased a 1-piece rebuild kit from HW parts store and the parts don't fit the piston. The gland nut parts fit fine. I'm going on 3 weeks now without the use of my backhoe and I don't know where else to turn. I'm attaching pictures of the piston just for additional info. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks,
Glen
IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0009.JPG

Glen Weldon

Well, I can't find any information to get the right seals. Just to tie up the thread... I ordered a replacement piston from HW Parts Store. The seals I bought from them will fit it. I am hoping to get it by Friday so I can be back in business this weekend.

Equipmentguy224

Usually a hydraulic shop should be able to get you the seals you need. Not in a seal kit, but rather measure the piston and find what specific seals you need.

Glen Weldon

Usually a hydraulic shop should be able to get you the seals you need. Not in a seal kit, but rather measure the piston and find what specific seals you need.
Easier to get the correct piston for the cylinder. Also much more timely. I work until 3:30. Most recommended hydraulic shop is 50 miles away and closes at 4. Thank you for your advise. Piston has already shipped and should be here by Friday, ready for me to reassemble on Saturday.