• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 40 XT Newb with lots of Questions

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
A bump to the top for this, does anyone have the cross reference for the drive motor to get it from a hydraulic shop? checked with Case here, and they charge that drive motor out at $2500. I am wondering if I can get a motor number so I can walk into Motion and see about them ordering it.

Try Loader Parts Source, they might be able to reference motor by application and not need motor number.

http://www.loaderpartssource.com/

Pedro'sConcrete

Hello rpctsv We are experiencing the same problem at the moment! Did you ended up buying the entire motor? We could really use you advise.

Thanks so much,

Pedro's Concrete

Nh750jd

Need some more info on this fix anyone have any tips

Need to see if this fix worked long term, would making a new preload spacer out of harder steel be advised? Any help appreciated

Motor is out and have taken a look.In pic 1 you can see how the bearing spacer is wearing unevenly,it is getting cocked to one side under load I presume.In pic 2 you can see where the shaft is wearing the top of the gasket causing the gusher of oil into the chain drive resevoir.

Is this the spacer you spoke of Goose?

I presume this spacer preloads the tapered bearings,if so I can deal with this.Maybe a little tungsten tig rod after a preheat and a grind job after I have determined the thickness.

The clip is no problem we have a tool,the bearings look great as do the chains and sprockets!!!!!!

The wasted gasket,this will be found,if I can't I will turn out some of the land and make it nominal ,not special metric crap?

Over all this motor is still ****!A total pain in the ass to get out!!As I see it,the spacer is letting the shaft deflect enough to take the seal out.Not really to much to these things as I see it,I could never justify throwing it out for these fixable issues.

OH,almost forgot,the seal journal looks great as does the I.D. of the pump housing.All have been measured and are within .005.

I'll take some pics of the fix if anyone gives a $hit.

ploth

Yes I'm interested!!

THANK YOU!!!

This thread could help me with my 75XT...was this fix worth the effort or is the only real option to buy a new drive motor?

We only use our machine 1 -2 times a week, though for 4-5 hours of pretty hard work when we do (mixing & lifting rammed earth).

Motor is out and have taken a look.In pic 1 you can see how the bearing spacer is wearing unevenly,it is getting cocked to one side under load I presume.In pic 2 you can see where the shaft is wearing the top of the gasket causing the gusher of oil into the chain drive resevoir.

Is this the spacer you spoke of Goose?

I presume this spacer preloads the tapered bearings,if so I can deal with this.Maybe a little tungsten tig rod after a preheat and a grind job after I have determined the thickness.

The clip is no problem we have a tool,the bearings look great as do the chains and sprockets!!!!!!

The wasted gasket,this will be found,if I can't I will turn out some of the land and make it nominal ,not special metric crap?

Over all this motor is still ****!A total pain in the ass to get out!!As I see it,the spacer is letting the shaft deflect enough to take the seal out.Not really to much to these things as I see it,I could never justify throwing it out for these fixable issues.

OH,almost forgot,the seal journal looks great as does the I.D. of the pump housing.All have been measured and are within .005.

I'll take some pics of the fix if anyone gives a $hit.

Nh750jd

We fixed the issue! I highly recommend removing your pump, disassembling and getting another pre load spacer machined out of hard steel! I machined a spacer in an hour, replaced seal, and reassembled our pump on our 40xt been working flawlessly! Dont waste money and a perfect pump just take a week of downtime and fix it right!

jacobd

Goose heres the serial numbers on the drives.

Left side 1590081002

Right side 1590081002

Randy

Came across this thread while doing research on the 40XT machines. Disappointed to find out about these drive motor issues in what otherwise seems to be a rock solid series.

I looked into it more and from what I can tell the big number on your motors breaks down like this,

"159" <this is the "product line identification number" and 159 means it is an Eaton "VIS 30" (valve in star) motor.
"0081" <this is the "product identification number" and it designates various features of the motor such as output shaft style, mounting hole pattern, various thread styles and sizes ect ect.
"002" this is the "engineering change code" and is the most mysterious number. I can find hardly any information about this number but apparently 002 is the old one and 005 is the updated. I'd be very interested to learn exactly what is different between the two.

OzXT40

Came across this thread while doing research on the 40XT machines. Disappointed to find out about these drive motor issues in what otherwise seems to be a rock solid series.

I looked into it more and from what I can tell the big number on your motors breaks down like this,

"159" <this is the "product line identification number" and 159 means it is an Eaton "VIS 30" (valve in star) motor.
"0081" <this is the "product identification number" and it designates various features of the motor such as output shaft style, mounting hole pattern, various thread styles and sizes ect ect.
"002" this is the "engineering change code" and is the most mysterious number. I can find hardly any information about this number but apparently 002 is the old one and 005 is the updated. I'd be very interested to learn exactly what is different between the two.
I have the same motor and have been searching for the right seal kit. Found the Char Lynn seal kit for this motor and it appears to be the same code as the VIS 40. My repair man is not convinced these are the right ones and thinks CASE have an OEM seal kit which differs from the Char Lynn kit. He thinks CASE may have a different shaft or something. I am suspicious. He told me his advice was to run away from this job because these motors are nothing but trouble. The motors are in good order otherwise and the machine is only used on the farm. We suspect the shuttle valve blocked with rubber when a new hose was not cut and cleaned properly and the motor got hot which destroyed the seals.

If I understand what you are saying, going with the Char Lynn seal kit using these numbers should provide the right seals. Any assistance would be appreciated. I am assuming part numbers for the US will be the same for Australia.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @OzXT40
Is this drive motor already dismantled?
I would assume that if a new hose was fitted to this motor & was not properly cleaned - your problems may be great deal worse than just plugging up a valve.
Your repair man is correct saying that these CNH motors have a different shaft.
I have only used the OE seal kits in doing full reseal of the motors - pricey, I know.... :rolleyes:

OzXT40

Welcome to HEF @OzXT40
Is this drive motor already dismantled?
I would assume that if a new hose was fitted to this motor & was not properly cleaned - your problems may be great deal worse than just plugging up a valve.
Your repair man is correct saying that these CNH motors have a different shaft.
I have only used the OE seal kits in doing full reseal of the motors - pricey, I know.... :rolleyes:
Thanks for the prompt response. The motor was inspected on site but with the mechanic now. He assures me the rest of it is in very good order and we have pulled the other motor off and will do the seals on it as well if we can get the kits. The information posted by @jacobb is interesting. I would have thought even if Char Lynn did a special motor for CASE that it would identify the motor with these numbers for parts. We did some on site testing of the pump and it is fine and if we ever get the motor sorted, we will do some temperature testing at various points. Finding people to talk to in Australia with knowledge of an old motor such as this is difficult and we live more than two hours from any major town with hydraulic services. It only gets farm work but is an integral part of our bushfire protection plan. Our fire season starts soon and we had two fires last year so we have about a month to get it sorted.
It is only an assumption about the dodgy new hose causing the problem. The rubber could have come from the motors own seals. It has 2700 hrs now and we would like to see it run another five years at least so we have time to sort out a replacement. This forum has been a great help over the years and I appreciate the quality of the advice.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
@OzXT40
TIP - Thought I might just mention this for your repairer - a small ball bearing used as a shuttle often gets lost when these motors are repaired by guys who are not 100% familiar with them.
If the ball doesn't go back in - the motor won't drive.
40XT drive motor shuttle ball.png

OzXT40

Thanks for this tip. I have spoken with CASE in Melbourne and he is confident the seal kit on the CASE customer parts list is the correct one. The external shaft on my motor has 28 teeth as per the parts list but I noted there is also the drive shaft so I am hoping that will not confuse things further. He said they would take the parts back if wrong and not used.The attached file is what I am basing everything on and will disregard the Char Lynn numbers for now. CASE 40XT parts list.jpg

OzXT40

You have no idea how pricey in this country. Looking at $250AUD but better than a new motor. I found two of them available at $3800 AUD each which is a bargain. Really appreciate your assistance. The mention you have only used OE kits gives me a bit more confidence.

OzXT40

So finally had the seals replaced and picked up the motors yesterday. I contacted CASE myself and they were prepared to take the seal kits back if not the right fit (and unused) but he was confident they would. Seems he was right and I have no idea why it was such a problem to the mechanic. In the end I just told him to order the parts or tell me if he did not want to do the job. Once fitted we will see if all is good. We have an infra-red thermometer and will check temps throughout once it is all warmed up.

joelmatt89

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I was wondering is this bearing pre load issue with all the early xt models or specific to the 40XT?

I have a 95xt that had 2 extra gallons of oil in the chain case on both sides when I bought it. I put 15 hrs on it and checked again, doesn't seem to be filling up for me but can't imagine how else that oil got in there.