• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 40 XT Newb with lots of Questions

rpctsv

I have had no luck searching here.I have a 2003 40xt with some issues.I have been online looking for a shop manual all day with no luck.I think my Hyd fluid is leaking into my chains on the left side.Can the drive motor do this?All I know is I have fluid coming out of the rubber plug in the floor pan>Anybody heard of this before?Any help would be great!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to the forum rpctsv! :usa

Yes, a motor failure can do that. gggraham and goose are Case techs here on the forum, be patient, I'm sure one of them will spot your thread and respond to it. ;)

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
yes that is a problem with 40XT - How many hrs are on your machine?
The Case dealers here fix it by replacing the motor...expensive!
There is normally a problem with the bearing at the output shaft of the motor - it looses preload & allows the seal carrier to move a little.
The leak usually comes from an oring on o/d of the seal carrier.
You will have to pull the motor from the machine & check it out.

rpctsv

The machine has just over 1,700 hrs on it.I sometimes operate an 1845C at work,we beat on it like a rented mule,and it keeps going!I just bought this 40XT a month ago figuring it would be a workhorse too.This machine seems to have alot more power than the 1845C.The chains and sprockets look new IMO,and the machine in general is clean clean.I bought this machine right so I have some room to fix it right.The big issue I need to solve first is where can I get a service manual?You would think theres a CD out there for a reasonable price.
My kid has seen too many skid steer utube vids,my guess is this machine has seen some hard landings the last couple weeks that might of brought some of this drive motor leaking issues on.

Goose

The early 40XTs did have problems with the drive motors leaking into the chainbox due to the loss of bearing preload and then seal damage. The middle version of motors were better but would still lose pearing preload. Case has a shaft cartridge to repair the problem but most of the housings are damaged enough that putting the repair kit in is pointles. The latest motors are holding up good but are a little pricey. The best thing to do would be to replaced the motor with the newest motor. The bad side is you would be wise to replace both of them or the other one may fail soon. Its alot easier to pull the tandem pumps and replace both motors than to pull the tandem pumps twice or fight the motors without pulling the pumps especially the rear motor.

rpctsv

Lost my reply,wtf?Didn't post,oh well.Goose>where would be the best place for a service manual?I am a machinist by trade and feel I can fix most boo,boos.This machine will be used for light farm work and I have $9,500 bucks in it with the trailor.Do you think I should punt and look at a different machine?Back to the 1835C,is this newer machine incapable of being reliable?I would really like several years of trouble free service from this toy(50hrs or less per yr)!

Goose

The 40XT is a good machine with the newer drive motors. Steer along way away from the 1835Cs, Gas or diesel versions both. They are an older machine and have a 3 cylinder continental/teladyne engine was have numerous problem over time. The main failure in the 40XT drive motors is the spacer between the bearings on the output shaft that set the preload on the bearings were made out of soft material. The spacer hammers or wears against and then the preload on the bearings is lost and the shaft starts moving radially and knocks out the seals. The cartridge kit that is available has the hardened spacer but will only fit in the second generation motors. If you can get the numbers off of the tag on the endcap of the motor I can tell you what generation of motors you have.

rpctsv

Awesome!I will look tomorrow.

I made a typo,our work skid is a 1845C not an 1835.

Do I need to bite the bullit and buy a repair manual from Case?

rpctsv

Goose heres the serial numbers on the drives.

Left side 1590081002

Right side 1590081002

These hydraulic motors are Char-Lynn which is an Eaton motor.I work in the PVC industry which uses these motors in various down stream pulling operations.Kind of freaked me out seeing them in my skid loader!

My guess is these are all the old drives you speak of.We constantly sell rebuild kits for these types of hydraulic motors.I hope I can save theses motors to save some bucks!

On the manual issue>you have some leads on repair manuals?

On the drive motor issue>without a manual,it looks to me that you might be able to pull the drive motors out the front of this machine to trouble shoot the leaking issue?

Any help would be awesome!

Randy

Goose

You can pull the drive motors out the front, but you have to carve up the battery box to get them out the front. It is a royal pita to pull them out the front compared to pulling the pump group and pulling them out the top. You already will have the hose going to the motors unhooked to pull the motors, from there yoy only have a couple more hoses, 2 sets of linkage and mounting bolts for the pumps and it will make you cuss alot less. I do not have a sorse for a manual other than through Case. The do make the manuals on CD but they arent much cheaper than the book. Will run the numbers tomarrow and let you know tomorrow.

Goose

They do not offer the repair kit for the motors in your machine. Looks like new drive motors is the only for sure solution.

rpctsv

They do not offer the repair kit for the motors in your machine. Looks like new drive motors is the only for sure solution.
Well, that sucks big time.Being without a manual is there anything that will mess this thing up after I get the motor back in as far as bleeding the hydraulics?

I know you say no kits but I have to try a rebuild.I have access to 4th axis mills and all kinds of bad ass toys to rebuild stuff like this.Like I said before,we have been rebuiling char-lynn style motors for our haul-offs for 20 years.Maybe this is something case said no too and not something that can't be done.

What would the cost be for 2 new factory motors?

You have been very helpfull,thank you,Randy

One more thing,could you tell me what the upgraded motor part numbers are?

Last edited:

Goose

The new drive motors list for $1050.00 each.Sorry forgot to bring the part number home . All of the older part numbers sub up to the new part # so you only have one choice.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The new drive motors list for $1050.00 each.Sorry forgot to bring the part number home . All of the older part numbers sub up to the new part # so you only have one choice.

Well, that ain't that bad. I've had to replace the Rexroth radial piston motors on a couple of T190 Bobcats, can't remember the dollar number but it seems they were over 2 bills, and you can only get them from Bobcat.

rpctsv

As soon as I can find a service manual I will get the motor out.I called my local Case dealer and found myself wondering if THEY have a manual!I'm sure skids are pretty much the same as a tractor and a good mechanic can just figure it out.All I need is an exploded view and some torque specs.Every manual I have found online is out of stock!

Case has certainly done a good job of keeping their proprietary info out of the publics hands.I'm very frustrated at this point!On a better note,thanks for all the help guys!!!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You can view exploded component views at the online parts catalog.

www.casece.com

click on North American/English
go to Parts and Service tab at the top
scroll down and click Parts Catalog
on the next page you have to click the Launch Parts Catalog link just above the video
your there. just type in your model number.

rpctsv

This is sooooo frustrating,the web site keeps saying no matches found.Maybe its broke?I have model number,serial number.No matches found.Too funny,I can only get in if I type in a different model number.

Last edited: