• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 350 Crawler kicking my butt

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Lol.. we got 3 pgs of diagnostics & are no further along.. not good..
I guess we're further along.. we know that the trans. pump regulator piston is "close"..??.. lol
& we got fuel up to & squirting outta 1 or 2 injectors..
Whoops. I just made it 4 pgs..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I have "experienced Tech" work to do.. I'll check back in later this week..
BTW> if u find the compr. WAY LOW.. mix up a container of ATF & Acetone {50/50}..add enough to cover the piston & run down around the rings.. THEN, LET IT SIT about a week & keep adding to it..
Then, with the injectors STILL OUT.. crank the engine to blow any garbage & residual mix, out of the cylinders.. Reinstall the injectors or new injectors & BLEED the system of air.. leaveing the lines loose at the injectors till they squirt fuel.. then tighten.. & see what happens..
Good luck.

Delmer

I hadn't noticed that the engine oil level had been checked. Also, wouldn't hurt to check the air intake for dust, missing filter, rats nest, etc.

Not much that can go wrong that would explain the circumstances, except the pump or fuel.

frickenbored

I hadn't noticed that the engine oil level had been checked. Also, wouldn't hurt to check the air intake for dust, missing filter, rats nest, etc.

Not much that can go wrong that would explain the circumstances, except the pump or fuel.

The engine oil level is full, a few weeks ago I changed the engine oil and filter (engine oil was full before I changed it), hydraulic oil and filter, gearbox oil and filter, torque converter oil, transmission oil and filter, air filter, starter, battery cables, fuel filters, and completely re-wired the ignition switch, push button start, and replaced all the starter wiring. I was figuring the fuel system just needed to be bled so I went ahead and did all this other work first. Plus the starter had shorted and burned up all of the wiring from the ignition switch to the starter last summer so I was jumping the starter with a screwdriver to get the thing started.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
So its been sitting since January, not running.??
I'd go thru the valve settings FIRST.. THEN do a compression test.. cuz if the valves are opening or closing to soon or to late.. THAT will effect the compression drastically..
Just a tip from your Uncle Mike..

frickenbored

So its been sitting since January, not running.??
I'd go thru the valve settings FIRST.. THEN do a compression test.. cuz if the valves are opening or closing to soon or to late.. THAT will effect the compression drastically..
Just a tip from your Uncle Mike..

Are you talking about the valve lash adjustment? Is that something that changes when this engine sits?

This tractor is just used for around the house kind of stuff, it's gone years at a time without starting in the past but a good battery and some fresh fuel would always get it running. Last year I used it almost every day during the summer to clean up some property. But every winter it gets parked because it's an open cab. The one time I tried to use it in the winter....I broke it.

frickenbored

I pulled all 4 injectors and turned the engine over with them out of the engine. All 4 injectors spray fuel. However one is different from the rest and one has a broken tip:

20190522_185719.jpg 20190522_185623.jpg

Even with the broken tip it still fires it just doesnt atomize correctly. I dont believe the injectors are my problem but I'm gonna get a set of 4 anyway. The teflon seals are pretty much toast and I had to pry pretty hard to get one of them out.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
WOW.. that thing if F'd.. THAT would dump fuel in the cylinder..
Pretty much the only thing that'll blow the tip off is WATER in the fuel..
& IF u look closely.. they are 2 different injectors..
What are the P#'s on ALL THE INJECTORS.. its a 5 digit # on the straight body..right at the bend for the fuel connector..

frickenbored

I didn't see any numbers on the injectors but I'm going to take them to a wire wheel and clean them up really good and check again. I got my brand new Harbor freight compression tester last night, hooked it up to cylinder number 4, and cranked the engine 3 times...the gauge got to 200 psi and then the tester hose that states it is rated for 4500psi blew two holes in it. Harbor Freight never fails to surprise me, now I have to go exchange it.

I wish I knew how long ago that injector broke...could be months ago, even years ago. Before I took an interest in this track loader its maintenance schedule was non existent.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
IF it was months, weeks or even DAYS.. THAT CYLINDER should register about 50-75 psi..
its washed down{bad}..
UNLESS your getting new injectors, keep the wire wheel away from the tip..
Just get the paint/grease off the "stem" where it bends for the line.. ON THE BODY..
I have a GOOD WAY of testing pencil injectors once they're out of the engine..
Fill a bucket w/ water & throw them in it, 1 @ a time.. the good ones will float.. ;)
Some of u guys have the worst luck w/HF tools.. I think the last "lemon" I got from them was a drill bit index full of bits for 13.00.. Now I KNOW, what do u expect for 13.00.?? BUT these actually broke IN WOOD.. :mad:

frickenbored

I usually have pretty good luck with harbor freight, I have a pair of 90 die grinders that are over 10 years old...cost me $8 each. I bought one of these 5 years ago:

hftoolbox.JPG

Some of the best money I ever spent, no way was I gonna spend $700+ for almost the exact same thing from snap on...its made so similar to the snap on box that I swear they're made by the same company.

frickenbored

I finally got a compression tester that works. I tested each cylinder 3 times dry then 3 times wet.

Cyl 1 dry: 230psi wet: 380psi
Cyl 2 dry: 240psi wet: 350psi (broken injector)
Cyl 3 dry: 180psi wet: 250psi
Cyl 4 dry: 250psi wet: 450psi

I dont know what the specs are on this engine yet but those dry pressures look a little low. I may have weak rings and cyl 3 might have some scoring. Like I said before I'm no diesel expert...would those dry psi readings keep the engine from starting? Even if cyl 3 was a dead hole wouldn't the other 3 fire?

Hey thepumpguysc, do you think I would benefit from the atf/acetone mixture or would I be pissing in the wind?

frickenbored

Also I got the injector numbers:

Cyl 1 (different from the other 3): 20671•A2
Cyl 2 (broken injector): 18054L2
Cyl 3: 18054L2
Cyl 4: 18054L2

Delmer

Those numbers are pretty bad, and they might keep it from starting. I'm surprised it doesn't run once it starts on ether though. I wouldn't tear it apart just on those numbers yet. Especially if it wasn't burning oil bad, or blowing oil all over. Compression is kinda funny in older motors, they can run better than they should based on the compression numbers.

I'd like see if it starts with the help from the oil, and how it runs then.

We'll see what thepumpguy says. Can't wait to hear some good news on this one.

frickenbored

Can't wait to hear some good news on this one.

You and me both, I'm hoping the rings are stuck...or something and maybe I can get the compression numbers up enough without tearing the engine down. If not I might be able to hone the liners and just re-ring the pistons.

I'm going to have to check if the intake pre-heater still works. The element is still there but it hasn't been hooked up for years. If I'm not mistaken hot intake air can help start a diesel with lower compression. Maybe with the pre-heater and a new set of injectors I can finally get this thing to fire again.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
WHAT EXACTLY do u have to lose.?? try the mixture & wait a week.. in the meantime order new injectors.
BTW> anything over 300psi will fire a diesel engine..
U might just have stuck rings.. I've never seen a jump THAT hi before.

Last edited:

frickenbored

WHAT EXACTLY do u have to lose.?? try the mixture & wait a week.. in the meantime order new injectors.
BTW> anything over 300psi will fire a diesel engine..
U might just have stuck rings.. I've never seen a jump THAT hi before.

I'm going to give it a shot. I'll pick up some acetone today and start the process. It'll be nice to take a break from this damn thing for a week anyway, I have about 4 other projects that I've been neglecting because of this little Case.