• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1835C won't start with ether

LukeChristensen

I have an older Case 1835C that doesn't like starting. On a regular basis for starting it I need to spray ether into the air intake and have a battery jumper on it to help it spin fast enough.

This skid steer had been sitting for many years before my brother got it cleaned up and gotten it running.

I have tried the fresh gas fix and that didn't help at all and I also have cleaned up the spark plugs.

I don't have much money to put into the machine so anything that can be checked and adjusted/cleaned would be preferable to replacing

ahart

Do you have engine make/model information? Being a gas engine, as long as the compression is good, the ignition system is working properly and the carb is clean/properly adjusted, it should start easily. Compression test is standard across all engines but the other two would be engine specific so would need more information. What is oil consumption like? Does it seem to foul the plugs? Smoke?

stefuel

Most old school spark ignition systems (points and condenser) start and run on different voltages. When the key is turned to "START" 12 volts is applied to the ignition coil. After starting and the key is released to the run position the voltage drops significantly to avoid burning out the points. 12 volts gives it a good hot spark to help it start easier.