• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1835 smoking please helppp

That is a first. I never seen a set up like that. Degrease the surfaces and use blue loctite. If you know your valve lash. Then put each cylinder at tdc and adjust accordingly.
Dont know the valve lash. I cleaned both surfaces with brake cleaner and applied some blue loc tite going to let it cure for a day. See how this thing runs in a day. Thanks for all the help

BigWrench55

You should set your valve lash to its proper settings. To loose and you will get a dead cylinder and broken or bent push rods. To tight and you could lose compression or cause the cam lobe to wear faster. There may be a tag on the valve cover that will tell you the valve lash.

You should set your valve lash to its proper settings. To loose and you will get a dead cylinder and broken or bent push rods. To tight and you could lose compression or cause the cam lobe to wear faster. There may be a tag on the valve cover that will tell you the valve lash.
Well I didn’t start it yet. I cant seem to find anything online (manual). No tags on the valve cover

BigWrench55

These specs are for the gasoline version of your engine. So use it as a basis.
Intake is .014"
Exhaust .018"
Put one of the other cylinders at tdc and check the clearance of valves and see how close it is to these specs. Or at least adjust number 1 the same.

These specs are for the gasoline version of your engine. So use it as a basis.
Intake is .014"
Exhaust .018"
Put one of the other cylinders at tdc and check the clearance of valves and see how close it is to these specs. Or at least adjust number 1 the same.
So if i put cyl 3 at tdc then i adjust number 1? Its very hard to see the crank pulley on this machine the cab doesn’t tilt or anything. If both valves are closed on 3 i should adjust number 1?

BigWrench55

Each cylinder has its own tdc. If the cylinder is is all the way up and both valves are closed. Then that cylinder is at tdc and that is the one you want to adjust.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Each cylinder has its own tdc. If the cylinder is is all the way up and both valves are closed. Then that cylinder is at tdc and that is the one you want to adjust.
And if a particular cylinder is at TDC and both the valves are open then turn the engine one complete revolution in the direction of rotation and you'll be in the correct spot.
If the marks on the flywheel are difficult to see then get one cylinder so that the inlet valve is opening and the exhaust valve is closing. When they are both rocking at the same time that will be TDC on the exhaust stroke. Turn the engine one more complete revolution and you'll be pretty close to TDC on the compression stroke.

A 3-cylinder engine you can't put one cylinder on TDC and then adjust the valves on another cylinder like you can on engines with 4 or more cylinders.

BigWrench55

I don't know what the specs are for your engine. I am just don't know enough about your engine to say with confidence that is it. If it were me I would check the other cylinders and run number 1 the same. As far as I know those aren't giving you any problems, so go with what is working.

Will do thanks !
I don't know what the specs are for your engine. I am just don't know enough about your engine to say with confidence that is it. If it were me I would check the other cylinders and run number 1 the same. As far as I know those aren't giving you any problems, so go with what is working.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
That type of set up has an interference thread they are meant to be quite firm to turn when adjusting.
The Case 188 & 207 engines are similar.
I wouldn't trust the loctite to hold it long term.
Another vote for replacing the rocker arm.

The tappet settings are .012" & .018"

Last edited:
That type of set up has an interference thread they are meant to be quite firm to turn when adjusting.
The Case 188 & 207 engines are similar.
I wouldn't trust the loctite to hold it long term.
Another vote for replacing the rocker arm.

The tappet settings are .012" & .018"
Thanks loc-tite temporally orderd new rocker. Thanks for the help everyone

Yes they are all a little out of adjustment. Adjustment would deff help. Waiting for new rocker arm and bolt then will do them all. Machine really sucks to work on cab doesn’t tilt

Old Doug

Yes they are all a little out of adjustment. Adjustment would deff help. Waiting for new rocker arm and bolt then will do them all. Machine really sucks to work on cab doesn’t tilt
I have a 1830 its a deal to work on. Mine is gas and i hear parts are hard to find . Its been a great machine but i fear the day i have a big problem.