• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1835 smoking please helppp

So I have this case 1835C with a continental TMD20. 3 cylinder diesel I was using it for about two hours when all of the sudden I saw a lot of black smoke coming out of thetailpipe I checked the fuel I replaced the air filters and the fuel filters still doing the same thing I bought new injectors still doing thesame thing I got the injection pump rebuilt still having the same issue if I crack the fuel line at the number one injector while it isrunning with a high idle the smoke goes away To me the smoke looks black the back of the machine is all black the oil level didn’t reallygo down but today in the sunlight it almost looks like a bluish smoke however when I crack that injector line only on number onecylinder the smoke goes away so I’m thinking it’s a fuel issue is there something I’mmissing?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
It sounds like you have a dead cylinder. How does engine sound is there a miss while running?

Will take a look thanks
You know your stuff! Found the problem. I guess I just need to tighten up is there any procedure should I do it while it’s running I guess there’s no lock nut on these bolts however the other ones feel a lot tighter than this one it’s not stripped though

BigWrench55

I don't know the procedure for adjusting the valve lash for your engine. But what I see on your rockers concerns me. The adjusters look to be regular bolts are not adjusters at all. There should be a ballstud with a screwdriver slot and a nut. Please remove one of the bolts and take a picture and post Please.

I don't know the procedure for adjusting the valve lash for your engine. But what I see on your rockers concerns me. The adjusters look to be regular bolts are not adjusters at all. There should be a ballstud with a screwdriver slot and a nut. Please remove one of the bolts and take a picture and post Please.
They are just regular bolts, i find that very strange that theres no lock nuts. However i did put a wrench on the other bolts there all tight just this one is loose i had to stop snd cover it up due to Heavy rain. Will take more pics tomorrow .

They are just regular bolts, i find that very strange that theres no lock nuts. However i did put a wrench on the other bolts there all tight just this one is loose i had to stop snd cover it up due to Heavy rain. Will take more pics tomorrow .
But the bolt does look like it was made for the valve stem

BigWrench55

That's not good. If you don't get the proper adjusters then you will continue to have this problem. Plus possible damage to your engine. The others may be tight because the cam has them loaded.

BigWrench55

That's interesting. I never came across a engine like that. I wonder how you would keep it from backing off again? If you don't have a manual for your engine. My suggestion would to put each cylinder at top dead center and set your valve lash. Shouldn't be much more trouble with it only being a three cylinder.