• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Career Change at 30 Years Old + Introduction

2knives

I am new to the forum here, I've been reading around, searching and taking the time to get acquainted with the site here and really like you folks, it's great to see a whole bunch of people support each other in an industry the way this forum does, very much appreciated.

I live in Birmingham, AL and I've been working just about my whole life... Started out cutting Grass at 13 and pretty much stuck with it for about 10-12 years with a couple of 2nd jobs on the side. I decided to have a go at Mechanical Engineering degree with the thought that I would have the opportunity to get dirty and turn some wrenches. Though I did well going about 3 years in (but never graduated) as I slowly realized that engineering would not cater to my desire to work with people nor machinery/equipment at the personal and hands-on level I wanted.

Life caught up to me, I married and my wife was in school so work was where I had to focus, as we enjoyed eating regularly. I slipped up and got an office job which I've been working now for a little over 4 years. I work on the sales & support side of industrial process equipment... pumps, heat exchanges and valves/controls.

I'm making good money here, it's a small business that hasn't held me down at all, they are a great group that's taught me a lot, about business in general, and I have been able to grow their business and they let me grow with it; however, I have had a bad case of Yellow Fever for the past 6-7 years or so and I continually feel pulled and regret more and more not going into the trade of heavy equipment mechanic. Time is running out, I can see that.

I am 30 years old now, in great health and I have always worked on my own cars, going beyond new headlights, oil changes, brakes. I've pulled engines (had them rebuilt due to lack of tools/space) and replaced clutches, etc... minor car surgery; I say this, because I have a natural ability to work on machinery, work with tools and I also have a desire to do it along with a good work ethic and a track record to prove that ethic.

I'm married and we plan to have children but don't have any yet. My wife works a job now which would allow me to make a career move as a heavy equipment mechanic without too much financial struggle as I know I will have to take a pay cut.

I've talked to about 4-5 people that are heavy equipment mechanics and here's where the rubber seems to meet the road: I can afford to take a pay cut but I cannot afford to pay for school right now, half of the mechanics I've talked to, say go to school and the other half say don't waste your time.

Fortunately there are several heavy equipment companies all around Birmingham, AL. I went on a job interview at one company and they're simply not hiring right now as the coal market bottomed out and by attrition the company has settled out on having just enough, if not, almost too many employees.

If I keep running around out do you think there are companies that will hire me with basically no experience?

Do you think they will see me as being too old?

Will they think I'm crazy for taking a pay cut?

Very Respectfully,
-RC

90plow

I have to say doing something as a hobby is a lot different than doing it for a career. I think you should stay where you are and find a mechanic that needs help on the weekends and gain some experience. Even if you were to get hired who's to say you aren't fired after a few months when they realize you don't have enough experience or another financial downturn happens you will be the first guy to go. I think it's going to be a lot more enjoyable for you if your entire income doesn't rely on turning wrenches.

2knives

Thanks 90plow, that's not a bad Idea, shopping around for some side work & experience. You are right, any industry can take a down turn at almost any moment, including the one that I'm in. To comment on your remark, I went into the last interview giving them every inclination that I am not experienced and need training; which unfortunately, seems to be my dilemma, I have nothing to sell except the ability and desire to be trained.

My trouble shooting & mechanic skills are good but raw, they will need to be cured & cooked before I can get to where a company needs me to be. I would like a career with skills that I can carry with me, sales & support seems to be a very long line in the job (or jobless) market. Granted I have a lot of experience in the process equipment industry, I'd simply rather be stressed out burning up with sweat and soaked with grease than stressed out over emails and paper in the A/C.

I will take your advice and seek to find someone that will take me under their wing on the weekend and see if I can go from there.

Thanks again,
-RC

Twisted

This is said to/for a person with a lot of drive, willingness to learn, able to take some set-backs and a supportive family.....

"Do what you love and you'll never work another day in your life." (I got it off some commercial.)

That's what I did a few years back and while the pennies get tight here and there, I wouldn't trade it for the 6 figures I was earning. I've never been so satisfied working long hours, and the Warden is very supportive which is a must. Things are coming around for me very well and she is ready to make her change as well.

Be happy, but first be honest with yourself on what you want. Do you just want a different job or do you have a clear goal in mind?

Twisted

And remember. You are approaching the downhill slide pretty soon. Another 10 years and you might be looking for that nice cozy chair you were sitting in at 30. I was a ball of unlimited energy in my 20's & 30's. I'm way smarter now but my body isn't what it was. Just some thoughts.

Wes J

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Most people are terrified of change and risk. I say go for it.

I've BSed my way into a few jobs I was not actually qualified for. I worked hard and proved myself every time. The best way to learn a new skill is to find someone to pay you to do it.

If you were straight out of high school, I think a tech school would be a good idea. Since you have some experience (even if it's in a totally unrelated field), I think it would be a waste. Be honest about your skills and be willing to take a modest paying position in exchange for the chance to hone your skills.

What do you have for tools? If the answer is "not much" be prepared for a hefty investment.

I'm roughly the same age as you. I got my degree in mechanical engineering when I was 22. I tried design engineering and grew to hate it. I tried manufacturing engineering (CNC programming and fixtures) and got restless. I started my own CNC machine shop and it was OK. Then I realized that I liked fixing the machines more than I like making parts with them.

One thing lead to another and I discovered that there is a healthy apatite for a guy who can travel across the country and walk up to any kind of machine tool and have a pretty good chance of getting it up and running. Folks are willing to pay almost anything to get these machines back in operation as fast as humanly possible. There is rarely a dull moment. I travel all over the world. And best of all, no desk.

Jonas302

I say buy an old machine and get it back to peak condition see how much you really like heavy equip wrenching before burning your bridge

To answer your question there are company's that will hire you with out experience and the pay will reflect that

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I know plenty of people on the other side of the desk wishing they didn't wake up sore every morning and seeing doctors three to five times a year for stitches, burns, busted bones and being sick. Basically most of us got started because of the mechanical ability of some sort or basic training and couldn't imagine doing anything else as life brought many of the basic expenses to bare. We all love what we do but most are pretty beat up by fifty and the industry doesn't provide much for medical or retirement benefits anymore. You invest thousands of dollars in tools your employer could give a rip about and you have little to no way to recoup that investment at the end of your tenure in the industry. If you are any good you never get more than a couple of days in a row off, week end work is pretty normal. All those I know personally come to the point of deciding when to shut back the boss because you want to go see the kids graduate high school. You missed a lot of the stuff earlier. The ones who didn't hit that point was because their ex wife decided they could find someone who came home now and again.

It sounds like you have a career with basic hours, plenty of good people around you and some say in your direction. I happen to agree with those above advising to find a hobby and be glad your health is good. This occupation can be a bear trap you never get out of whole. Interesting question and good luck on what ever you decide.

caterpillar13

like someone said buy an old cat or something and restore it, and see if that is what you want to do . i use to love wrenching, i still restore stuff but i have gotten to old and my body has taken a beating for it ,to work that hard all of the time and the fun went out of it.
i work full time in town and help a couple of farmers in the evenings and weekends fix things and it reminds me why i dont do it full time anymore.

joispoi

If you have to take a pay cut to become a full time mechanic......how many hours per week or weeks per year could you reduce your current work commitment to have the same income?

If you are okay with making less money, there are plenty of things you can do with your time. Hobbies, vacations, moonlighting, etc.

partsandservice

Changing parts is simple enough. Consistent correct diagnosis comes with experience and years of it. I have been wrenching since I was a kid, almost thirty years. By the time your body gives out you will have enough experience to do the job. As stated previously, the better you get the more work will be thrust upon you. I am self employed so my situation is different from a dealer tech. There is no peace unless I leave town without my work phone. These people will come to my house when I won,t answer the phone. It is to late for me ; I know no other way to make the living I make now. Did someone mention a bear trap? However I would share my knowledge with someone young and interested such as yourself while you climb up that tire and but a belt on a 210 degree engine on a hot southern day. I will even hand you some tools as needed.

Welder Dave

If you have a good job and your employer respects you, why would you even think about letting go of that? I'll take better working conditions over higher pay anytime. Being a mechanic full time is heavy hard work especially if you're used to a desk job. I'd guess the pay cut for a first year mechanic would be fairly significant.

2knives

I am humbled by everyone's responses, this is the best advice I've received since I started to seriously pursue this about a year ago and I very much appreciate all of it.

I do have support from my wife (my father in law as well, which is a bonus) and there is a clear goal in mind as well... I'm not the type to take off willynilly in a random direction because the weather changed.

I'll keep the bear trap in mind and continue looking for a company that will hire me without experience (understanding the pay will reflect that) perhaps on the weekends and at the same time keep looking for a used CAT to dig into.

I need to find out if a dream should stay as a hobby that I can enjoy and possibly use as a plan to fall back on if the industry I'm in collapses. My Job won't allow for me to cut back days or hours, they want me here full time so it will be a slow climb to find out if being a heavy equipment mechanic is something I want to jump into, but it will be worth trying to find out rather than just wondering the rest of my life.

Thanks again for taking time out of your life to offer some words of wisdom to me.

I will stay in touch,
-RC

90plow

Another thought is find a machine that needs some serious tlc fix it up and sell it for a profit. You could make some money doing what you like at your own pace. Just another idea.

Welder Dave

Buying a machine and trying to fix it to sell as a profit is a recipe for a VERY expensive disaster! A crawler is a money pit no matter which way you look at it. If the undercarriage is shot, it doesn't matter how good the rest of the machine is. If the undercarriage is decent but the power train is shot could still cost a fortune to fix. In my opinion this isn't a good idea for someone with virtually no experience with heavy equipment. It's no different than someone buying an engine drive welder, throwing it a truck and calling themselves a welder. See if an equipment dealer or larger contractor may be interested in hiring a new apprentice mechanic to see if there is much interest in someone wanting to take you on.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
on a personal level, ive done this but the opposite way round
I to love to work on cars and have undertaken much the same as you, engine rebuilds etc, but the mechanics here where I work are put under immense pressure to get the job done in a specific amount of time etc, and have to work with a lot bigger heavier lumps of steel.
Your not getting any younger either and although your health is fine now, the work will take extra toll on you.
As for the step down in income, I came off the tools at 35 (£30k a year) to work in an office only a few miles from my front door (£24k a year), so no more traveling and working stupid hours, so I get to spend precious time with my young family, the money is a definite grind, as much as you think you can "tighten your belt" you will of become accustomed to a certain way of life that is afforded by your current wage, that takes an lot of control to curtail. I am still finding it hard to let go of things I should even five years down the line, my car is now parked in a garage not turned a wheel in years as I cant afford to run it anymore, the house needs a fortune spending on it but we don't have the spare money to fix things, all these things were bought when we had a decent income, and the upkeep of them was absorbed into that income.

Wes J

I don't see the income reduction being anything like permanent. If this guy turns out to be a decent mechanic he should be doing fine financially in short order. If it doesn't work out he can find something closer to what he is doing now. He might even be able to go right back to his current employer. Lots of people quit their jobs to pursue some fantasy and end up right back where they were when it doesn't work out. That's why you never burn bridges.

MrMajestical

Occupation
H.E. mechanic w/ a small rock processing company
Well, to relate my story, I spent 11 years in the Army, got out w/ bad ankles, carpal tunnel, a bad back, and both shoulders bad, this was over a decade ago. Now I'm 40 and doing heavy equipment repair. I ALWAYS wanted to work as a mechanic. I contracted as a wheeled vehicle mechanic in Iraq in '08, no experience except fixing my own cars, I excelled at the job. A few years later got a gig as a lube tech at a dealership, only professional wrenching was the Iraq thing, and again I excelled at the job, and within 6 months I was running the lube shop. I then started as a HD diesel mechanic and, yes, excelled at that job too. Not trying to toot my own horn but if you got the drive and the want you can do it. Now I am working on HE, I got my own truck, getting a second truck, and, although sometimes the job really sucks ass, for the most part I love it. I literally have no HE experience but I am a fast learner and I been running solo for months now. I have a vast array of equipment I work on, including a D9G, D8N, 3 320L's, a 245B, 12G grader, 7-8 trucks ranging from F550's to Semis, Bob cats, backhoes, and attachments consisting of drills, hammers, and buckets. I do it all by myself, and, TBH the owner buys auction equipment so there are numerous, numerous, NUMEROUS problems. If you want it you can have it, just got to do it bro...

etd66ss

I am a mechanical engineer, sit at a desk about 50 hrs a week. I have always liked turning wrenches, and I still do, but as a hobby. However, I can only afford my hobbies/projects due to my engineers salary, if I was a mechanic, I'd probably be earning half as much, and I would not have much for hobbies at all probably.

Wes J

I am a mechanical engineer, sit at a desk about 50 hrs a week. I have always liked turning wrenches, and I still do, but as a hobby. However, I can only afford my hobbies/projects due to my engineers salary, if I was a mechanic, I'd probably be earning half as much, and I would not have much for hobbies at all probably.

I have a degree in mechanical engineering. I make more working with my tools than I ever made working from a desk...