• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Car Haulers

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I live near a discharge port for new cars. Ships will unload 6-8 thousand new cars per shipment. They leave by rail and truck. I have noticed that better than half of the trucks are low-profile Pete's. I understand the desire to keep the load low, but not the overwhelming choice of Pete's. They are great trucks in my opinion, I just don't understand their popularity for car hauling. Any clues?

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Don’t have an answer but I agree that most of the car haulers i see are Pete’s

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Maybe the other brands do not have an option for building a low-profile truck. Now that you mentioned it, it makes me wonder too.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
See a lot of Volvos around here hauling new cars.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Most cars are hauled by independent haulers today. In years past they were hauled by auto freight companies like Anchor Motor Freight. Nu-Way is another company I remember. Not sure what caused the change to independents but like you mention many of them are Petes. I do remember White made a low profile truck with a lowered roof line for this purpose. It could be that Peterbilt has gone after the market with a truck that works well in the application.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
Have jack cooper around here hauling for gm usually in older sterlings that look like they are about to fall apart

crane operator

Pete makes a custom short cab with short doors and sleeper just for car haulers, so they can fit a car over the cab.

They have a custom low steer axle on them, and I think the show truck guys use those when they drop the trucks for the "low rider" look.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
At one time Peterbilt was the highway truckers dream. That or a KW. Not sure if they are still hand built or not. I'd take an 80s style 359 or 379 any day over a Cascadia

cfherrman

Everyone I have seen has not had a good life, people that spend a bunch of money on trucks take care of their trucks, people who cheap out......