• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Canadians eh...

big ben

Hi there,
Had some good news through today so I felt I would share it:
Found out today that my application to AIT was successful so can now think about the big move (following my tools, which still arent there!) to lethbridge Alberta.

Headwater equipment by chance ????

RJPCanada

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
So as I'm reading the posts I like to read the "location" part and see where everyone is from. Seems there's not many Canadians? Who is from Canada and where? What do ya do?

Hello mate :)

I'm English but live in Ontario (got Canadian P.R ) .... just got a job in Grande Prairie gravel crushing :)

Dusty noisy business eh :)

Certified at Camrose Alberta.... as a student & pedestrian there for 3 months I can honestly say its a wonderful town with warm people and everyone drives like the cops are behind them :)

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
No not really I just saw an ad for them one day in a magazine and looked at their website. Sounds and looks like a good operation they have going.

I'd love some feed back on how they are to work for once you get up and running there !

So it's been a few weeks... Initial feelings are really good. Seem to look after the guys, service trucks are decked out pretty good.
Think I've made a good move.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Hello mate :)

I'm English but live in Ontario (got Canadian P.R ) .... just got a job in Grande Prairie gravel crushing :)

Dusty noisy business eh :)

Certified at Camrose Alberta.... as a student & pedestrian there for 3 months I can honestly say its a wonderful town with warm people and everyone drives like the cops are behind them :)

Congratulations on your pr. How long have you been here?

RJPCanada

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Congratulations on your pr. How long have you been here?

3 years and 4 months :D Canada is awesome. .... bit nippy in wintertime though :eek:

1st dodgy experience..... " Boss ; yeah when you break down don't walk 4 miles back to the ranch.... just call us on your phone" ME : "OK just fancied a walk" ...
Boss ... you know thar's bears along that road eh?" Me ; "are they friendly ? I'd really like to get a selfie of me and a bear in the same shot to send to my little boy " ...... Boss ; geees your greener than I thought......

Brighter side after 4 days I can drive a water truck and the and change up and down (no clutch) and getting ok with a 420.... bit bigger then a 315 and the stereo is better.... I need a union job... hate cleaning tracks...

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
3 years and 4 months :D Canada is awesome. .... bit nippy in wintertime though :eek:

1st dodgy experience..... " Boss ; yeah when you break down don't walk 4 miles back to the ranch.... just call us on your phone" ME : "OK just fancied a walk" ...
Boss ... you know thar's bears along that road eh?" Me ; "are they friendly ? I'd really like to get a selfie of me and a bear in the same shot to send to my little boy " ...... Boss ; geees your greener than I thought......

Brighter side after 4 days I can drive a water truck and the and change up and down (no clutch) and getting ok with a 420.... bit bigger then a 315 and the stereo is better.... I need a union job... hate cleaning tracks...

Whatever gave you the idea that union operators don't clean their own tracks? They don't clean them, they don't stay. At least around here.

RJPCanada

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I was told sooooo many things at the training school.... next thing your gonna tell me is you don't have ass wipers when u take a dump .. ** clap - clap** WIPERS !!!!

Just joking.. good to hear though, I'd feel guilty and do my bit anyway.

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
A year and a half has passed...
Beginning to wonder of moving to Canada was a smart thing to do? I sold up everything including the contents of my shop to persue a life over here. All for 13 months of work. Like many I'm now hunting for it. My only grace is I saw it coming and bought an old F550, call it job security...
Anyway, how are you other Canadians getting on?

CDNDIESELMONKEY

Beginning to wonder of moving to Canada was a smart thing to do? I sold up everything including the contents of my shop to persue a life over here. All for 13 months of work. Like many I'm now hunting for it. My only grace is I saw it coming and bought an old F550, call it job security...

The dealerships are slow here in the east too! I've been lucky and am still gainfully employed. I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic

Due to the price of oil, it's pretty slow in Alberta right now. Slowest I ever remember it. My job is based on natural gas so I haven't felt the pinch directly, but my oldest son who worked in the oil patch his whole life has been out of work for at least 6 months. My second oldest also ended up out of work (more pipeline based) and he's had to re-invent himself and go into another type of work for less pay. Tough times for a lot of people.

Kind of a "sign of the times", Canada is no longer the USA's #1 largest trading partner. Because of lower oil prices, Canada dropped to #2 and China has taken over top spot.

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
Things in the gta of Ontario are nice and steady and if not picked up over the last 2 years significantly since the recession in 09?

Michael Yossa

Big up fellas, i'm from montreal. Nice to meet so a nice comunity over here. I believe on shared values added and i invite everyone to visit and comment on my new threat which is about the use of new generation wall plastering machines. Amasing dudes this machine plasters' 200meters square of wall in an hour.