• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can this Cat D6H have less than 3000 hrs??

Delmer

Beats me? but this is a good quote " Machine was originally purchased for Landfill use. Landfill has been closed for over 10 years. Machine was just used to spread pile of millings in parking lot." especially the parking lot part. I'll have to remember that one " just used to spread a pile of millings in a church parking lot by a little old lady"

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
This machine looks older than 1996 by like 8 years or so. The rails and sprockets are finished. It does look to be serviced with all CAT parts.
I don't think the hour meter is correct or does it read 25,000 ? The machine does appear to have lived in a non abrasive environment aka landfill of CD or garbage.
I own a 1988 and it has 15,000 on it, mine looked a lot worse than this one when I bought it. Run the VIN ? Also the engine is a 3306 not 3308 .

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Something smells fishy. I think the S/N prefix should be 3ZF not 37F but the system comes up as "not found" when I put 3ZF05186 into it. If it is genuine S/N then the DOM is late-1992. Similarly when I try to trace it via the engine Serial Number 87Z85732 there is also no information. If you're really interested have the auction house send you photos of the S/N plate/plates and post them here.

Once you have a genuine S/N you could speak to your local Cat dealer and ask them to run the service records on it. With the type of operation described in the auction listing you would imagine a dealer did most or all the work on it during its life.

Last edited:

oarwhat

I'm not looking to buy it. It just seemed to have way more hours than advertised. As they say buyer beware

Welder Dave

Look further down in the pictures. It is 3ZF06186. I think it's 25935 hours which would explain the wear and why it may need the radiator cored and a lift cylinder leaks. Funny how the pic of the hour meter is the only fuzzy one. Hmmm

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If you are wondering about the hour meter or any of the rest of the description look at the fine print in the disclaimer.

The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness, imperfection, defect or damage. Any descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type.

Fishy ad? you think!

Dickjr.

I had a 3ZF06091 which was a 95 model. Certain things on this tractor look good. Others look pretty rough. Is it possible its 2539.5 hours , I remember our machine would show tenths. The money that's on it now is not bad but that's about as far as I would go with the u/c in that condition. It's pretty straight looking for the year model. I loved running the one we had. One of the best sounding engines ever built. Ours had the 3306 , this one has a 3308 or says in the add.:D

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
1) look at the wear on the decelerator pedal.
2) look at the meter on the dash picture, looks like the numbers are white and the gauge below it is not cracked.
3) look at the fuzzy hour meter picture the numbers all legible and the gauge below is cracked.

oarwhat

This auction site sell hundreds of items each month. The actually have found quite a niche selling municipalities excess vehicles and surplus equipment. They sell anything from score boards to radios to heavy equipment. Municipalities used to have small on site auctions and didn't get near what these guys get on line.

Their descriptions are usually fairly accurate with some mistakes. Usually it's the hours, miles,engine and trans. I'm sure someone that knows nothing about these items enters the info. I always call the seller and have always received the straight scoop on the machine. I never seen a blatant misrepresentation like this though.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
The description is terrible. There are mistakes in almost every line . Serial numbers botched, hours are 25935 it's not an 8 cyl 3308. It says new batteries but the picture of the fuse box shows what looks like an old battery.

seatwarmer

Occupation
Enterprise Engineer
I think that's normal deterioration of the plastic covering on the S/N tag, certainly I've seen a number of tags like that over the years.

Never looked at the other photos - 3ZF06186 DOM 18/05/1995. I agree with Welder Dave that the hourmeter looks like 25395.

Won't argue with you Nige. Just looking at it from a law enforcement perspective.