• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

can rubber track machine push snow

Jim Dandy

I have a JD 332 and I have heard a few times that the rubber track skid loaders don't have enough ground pressure to push snow effectively. There is a cheap dozer blade in my area but I don't want to buy it if the forum agrees that they don't push snow very well. Thanks for your time.

rpctsv

It will be better than a shovel!Tires do much better.If its for just around the house you will be fine,if your wanting to make a buck a pickup will be better.

Jim Dandy

I have a pickup with a plow and a rubber tired skid with a bucket but I have a lot of places to plow and if it is worth it I may buy a 6 way for the JD 332 and get that going to. But if the JD won't push it well it is no point investing the money in to the 6 way or snow pusher. Also there has not been a winter here in 7 years or so that would justify a big investment in snow handling equipment. But sources I trust are predicting a colder wetter winter and I want to be ready.

adam21584

We use a t190 to push snow. spins out just as fast as rubber tires. pavement is hard on tracks though.

AdoptedYooper

Adam, thanks for responding. Are you saying that your CTL is no better and no worse in pushing snow than your wheeled skid steer?

I am very interested in how a CTL does in the snow because I, too, am thinking of using a CTL with a snowblower.

Many thanks to anyone who can contribute to this discussion.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think with the standard CTL track they don't work well, once the surface is polished with compacted ice or snow.

Bridgestone makes a CTL track made for snow. Its called Polor track or something like that. If you were going to use a CTL for snow it would probably be worth the investment. Cheaper than adding a wheeled machine which you have to chain up anyway. They told me that the track wears at a rate of a couple mm per 100 hours with decent care taken by the operator. I am sure like anything put an idiot behind the sticks and you could burn your tracks up quickly. Once the ice tread is worn off they then can be used in the dirt, according to a Bridgestone rep. When you see pictures of the tread that may make more sense. The top portion of the tread has many bitting edges in it to grip ice/snow after those are burned off, you have a regular track.

curbside

The trackloaders work great for back blading and pushing in straight lines.

We use our track machines mostly for edging out around large buildings etc and let the larger wheel loaders handle the larger areas. Most of the skidsteers run with blades on them and they also edge and support the track machines. The track loaders really shine when the snow has to be back bladed from a building or between cars. We've found the skidsteers kinda get hung up in the snow when back blading where as the track machines just climb up over the snow.

The track machines push a lot of snow if their moving straight but lose their push when trying to turn. We do not use plows with the track machines because of that.

Axman

Jim Dandy,
It depends on the snow and the terrain. We got over 8 feet of snow last year and 90% of that came in 3 weeks. Dry/powdery snow..no problems. I was clearing driveways with over 3ft of untouched snow and as as long as it didn't get icy I had no issues. Last year was a fluke (hopefully) and I even had to break out the dozer to move snow. If I was going to move snow as part of my business, I would buy a cheap wheeled machine so I would have the option of chaining up when ice became an issue.

adam21584

For what we do we have a s185 and a t190. As far as I have seen the tracks spin out at about the same point the tires do. The t190 does have a little more weight to help but not much. The tracks seem to wear fast witch is expected on pavement. You tube has a cool video of a asv with a snow blower. I think year round if you can afford the undercarrage repairs a ctl is the way to go.

icestationzebra

Last year I tried to use a Takeuchi to move a couple inches of dry snow on top of ice. It was almost worthless. I had to take a running start to push any significant amount of snow, plus like others have said you can only go in straight lines.

ISZ

farm_boy

I have a JD 332 and I have heard a few times that the rubber track skid loaders don't have enough ground pressure to push snow effectively. There is a cheap dozer blade in my area but I don't want to buy it if the forum agrees that they don't push snow very well. Thanks for your time.

You should check out Bridgestones new Polar Tread track.

heavylift

I pushed alot of snow with a 247 Cat all with a standard tooth bucket. that was a couple of winters ago...

As for the straight or turning .... I can't remember

I do know it was 10 times better t

Last edited:

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Same but different question, how do the track loaders (cat 257b) push dirt with a blade. Summer dry to wet condtions?

JDOFMEMI

For icy conditions has anyone tried putting sheet metal screws into the rubber to act as studs?
If so, did it help?

I guess you could even go with regular studs if you drilled the lugs out for them. I have not done it, just asking if anyone else has.

heavylift

For icy conditions has anyone tried putting sheet metal screws into the rubber to act as studs?
If so, did it help?

I guess you could even go with regular studs if you drilled the lugs out for them. I have not done it, just asking if anyone else has.

Sounds like a good idea.... but geeze that would be some serious screwing...

I do think the Cat would have better traction due to more smaller lugs..

Bobcat s330

Put those 2 machines on concrete,dirt or asphalt and the t250 will push that machine over.

Digdeep

Put those 2 machines on concrete,dirt or asphalt and the t250 will push that machine over.

No, you put those two machines on dirt or asphalt and they each go over hydraulic relief. I've tried to push my RC50 backwards with a T300 on both dirt and apshalt and they just sit there in a hydraulic standoff going over relief when both of them are pushing. Based on that I would assume that the same thing would happen with the SR80 and the T250 since the SR80 is only about 400lbs lighter (not 4000lbs lighter like the RC50 compared to the T250) than the T250 and about the same engine hp.

The question on this thread isn't whether a Bobcat T250 is stronger than a RC50 or SR80, but whether or not rubber track machines can push snow. There are tons of other debates about power, performance, reliability, brand preference, etc. This one is about snow pushing, and before all of the comments come out about whether this is all smoke and mirrors I will tell you that after selling Bobcats here in Wisconsin for over 8 years and now owning an RC50, the ASV machines will outpush rigid undercarriage machines (regardless of brand) in snow removal by a margin so big it isn't funny. Once again, dirt work is another thread or discussion.

Bobcat s330

No, you put those two machines on dirt or asphalt and they each go over hydraulic relief. I've tried to push my RC50 backwards with a T300 on both dirt and apshalt and they just sit there in a hydraulic standoff going over relief when both of them are pushing. Based on that I would assume that the same thing would happen with the SR80 and the T250 since the SR80 is only about 400lbs lighter (not 4000lbs lighter like the RC50 compared to the T250) than the T250 and about the same engine hp.

The question on this thread isn't whether a Bobcat T250 is stronger than a RC50 or SR80, but whether or not rubber track machines can push snow. There are tons of other debates about power, performance, reliability, brand preference, etc. This one is about snow pushing, and before all of the comments come out about whether this is all smoke and mirrors I will tell you that after selling Bobcats here in Wisconsin for over 8 years and now owning an RC50, the ASV machines will outpush rigid undercarriage machines (regardless of brand) in snow removal by a margin so big it isn't funny. Once again, dirt work is another thread or discussion.

I agree with you on the mtl machines out pushing rigid undercarriages in the snow yes. But some people think that a rc50 can outpush a t250 on dirt. Ive heard it numerous times and its total bs.. Im not impressed at all by asv machines they have there place thou just like everything else. Think there underpowered, built cheap and very akward looking which makes the visibility out of the machine terrible

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
if you get on anykind of an incline stop or spin out your stuck and they are like a ice skate as far as when they start to slide. try to drive out of the slide you go faster. and when you would catch that dry spot with a wheel machine and stop the track machine will go right over the top until it hits a big dry spot a curb ditch or car so its not really a good idea to push on inclines. i know someone will disagree with this and say they have done it but they probably have also slide down a hill or side ways if not its only a matter of time. and like it has been said they really dont push any better on packed or icy surfaces than a wheeled machine