• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

California vs Washington state

reddot556

Hey guys,
Retired up here from California after 35yrs as a operating engineer..I've noticed some differences in how they do the underground here in Wa.
Went to a subdivision close to where i'm staying and i was kinda perplexed.Many excavators of all sizes on the job..2 loaders,one small dozer..putting in the sewer main was being dug by a older Komatsu 400 using a large bucket to remove the bulk of the dirt then switching to a smaller one for the vertical part of the trench,placing the rock from a rock box,loader operator basically napping untill he had to refill the box No sloping buckets?? loader not feeding the ditch?..Main was about 12' deep..the laterals being put in was really strange..dug with a shield!..also, the operator fed the rock via a rock box..very slow...the backfill was done by putting in lifts of dirt..kinda a dirt,cobble mix..then using a vibrator head on a excavator for compaction..no compaction wheel?
Now i know i'm a newbie up here but i swear these are the techniques we used in the 1980's..just kinda puzzled by it

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
Shoot, sound's like it could have been our site but that's how everyone does it up here. Other than the loader op, he usually has multiple jobs and stays pretty busy. We have a couple compaction wheels but usually the backfill material is to boney to use them. Hoepacks are much better in pitrun. You would dig side sewers in this ground w/o a ditchbox?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If you saw the slide in Oso you probably got a little lesson on geology and water up here. Lots of different types of soil and plenty of regulations and inspectors to monitor everything.

Where are you staying?

tylermckee

Sounds about normal for excavation work around here. We very rarely slope the sides of trenches, everything is done with trench boxes. Usually haul out a all the material and bring in pit run/sand for backfill. Sometimes we will use native backfill material but only when soil conditions and weather will allow it. Where in washington?

reddot556

Sounds about normal for excavation work around here. We very rarely slope the sides of trenches, everything is done with trench boxes. Usually haul out a all the material and bring in pit run/sand for backfill. Sometimes we will use native backfill material but only when soil conditions and weather will allow it. Where in washington?
i'm in yelm now..happily retired

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
The area in question usually has what I would refer to as pit run for soil, falls under class C soil and digs like digging through pea gravel.