1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cab over

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by cuttin edge, Mar 22, 2020.

1. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    That's a sharp looking example. I remember a hay hauler that had a truck/trailer setup with a cab like that, black with lots of yellow pinstriping. Really pretty truck.

DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  2. Legdoc

Legdoc Senior Member

Used to see many International CO9670's Transtar II with sleeper cabs. My parents had a small motel in the late 60's that had parking for 3 semi's and I can remember a few truckers would let the tractor idle all night long. My employer in the mid 70's had a fleet Ford CL9000's and a few GM Astro 90's all day cabs. All in a much simpler time.

DMiller, RZucker, DB2 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

My dad taught me to drive on tractors that had no power steering, and when we did have power steering he would be displeased if I turned the wheel if it was not moving. Never left me, I tell drivers I try to train not to do it either.

I wonder how much that has to do with failing pumps, pull forward, stop, crank the wheels all the way over, back up, stop, repeat.

Pops52, Spud_Monkey, Nige and 3 others like this.
  4. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

Even holding it cranked against the relief because they just don’t know any better.

Or pushing the clutch all the way in while the unit is still in motion.

Or even just leaving the cab door open whilst they run back to their car to regain their travel mug.

I’m giving myself a headache.

Spud_Monkey, DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  5. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    With drop axle up and loaded it's pretty rough to dry steer.

DMiller likes this.
  6. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Astro? Did somebody say Astro? :D Drove one with an 8V-92 for a bit, not bad for a fairly new truck in the day. Same outfit had a couple CL 9000's, I was not impressed by them.

DMiller likes this.
  7. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Better yet few of you probably have ever driven a truck with Center Point steering. That's a one to back up and wear your A$$ out by the time you bump the dock.

DMiller and RZucker like this.
  8. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Astro was the dog on the Jetsons.

9. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

Center point steering?
    Box mounted in the middle?
    Sorry I’m unfamiliar with that term.

10. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    It put the centerline of the tire over the kingpin. Kinda liked to wander a bit. It did turn the hub into a good step.

Pops52 and DMiller like this.
  11. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Got some time in a K100 with center point and air boost... Know what you mean.

Mother Deuce, DMiller and Truck Shop like this.
  12. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

Thank you for the clarification. Not at all what I envisioned.

DMiller likes this.
  13. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

fry cook
    Center Point-The spindle is short with large bearings and the kingpin is totally vertical-at highway speed it steers fairly easy but at low speed it's a job. A standard steering wheel
    is 20" in diameter

14. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    The caster made them really suck backing up.

DMiller likes this.
  15. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    Nothing I hate worse than a truck with no clutch brake...... they bought a new little M series Freightliner the other year. Guy went to the dealer and picked it up, drove it for a month. I asked him how he liked it. He said fine, but the clutch brake didn't work. I said you should have told someone. Took it too the shop, the mechanic said it wasn't anything you did, there is no brake on it. Came from the factory like that. Great PDI at the dealer.

Spud_Monkey, Mother Deuce and DMiller like this.
  16. Legdoc

Legdoc Senior Member

Drivers of the Astro 90's complained the units were a job to keep in a straight line.

DMiller likes this.
  17. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    When center point steering came out it was all the rage because it placed that short fat kingpin in the center of the tire instead of to the inside of he tire. The one big advantage to it was when you blew a front tire with no power steering it did not jerk you toward the side of the flat tire. It rolled straight and was fairly easy to control. They were popular in Northern Minnesota with the loggers where the rock tears the hell out of everything and front blowouts happened more often than you wanted. Once tires got better and DOT scales started appearing a lot of them flats went away.

Mother Deuce and Truck Shop like this.
  18. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Years ago the city here tried new buses with power steering but didn't keep them because the drivers would turn away from the curb too sharp and the back of the bus could hit something or someone on the sidewalk. Manual steering they had to be moving and couldn't turn as sharp pulling away from the curb.

19. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    My K100 had CP steer, with the obnoxious jutted out Hubs could use for cab steps, WORTHLESS SOB in soft parking lots where had to jockey into tight spots even with tight WB. 90% of the 4070 Transtars at Feld were Armstrong no power steer, Midwestern's Freight Shakers were ALL manual gear steering. Then I worked at MACK and learned ALL about Dual P/S on heavy chassis.

Ronsii, Truck Shop and DB2 like this.
  20. Legdoc

Legdoc Senior Member

Went to a continuing education medical conference several years ago and one of the lecturers was a Neurosurgeon. He discussed some studies of the long term effect of a specific frequency of vibration on the spine of long haul truckers. My guess even sitting on an air seat would be much rougher on the body as you are almost sitting above the front tire.