• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying a Top Kick

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician

Delmer

The vast majority of Japanese cabovers in the US are four cylinders, just because the the medium duty market is dominated by domestic makes. There is no domestic equivalent of a 4 cyl fuso,npr,UD etc. Also, the short wheelbase and turning radius are not as valuable outside of a very few downtown areas. The double frames are terrible for rotting out in the rust belt. Right behind the cab, way too much in the way to even think about fixing them.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
What drives the water pump?

It has a big gearbox I'll describe as a transfer case. The driver chooses wheels, or pump. I believe the pump bolts directly to said gearbox, but can be uncoupled from it. The tonnage of this gearbox is reason to remove it, and I can't tailgate spread material if I can't simultaneously drive, and dump.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
It has a big gearbox I'll describe as a transfer case. The driver chooses wheels, or pump. I believe the pump bolts directly to said gearbox, but can be uncoupled from it. The tonnage of this gearbox is reason to remove it, and I can't tailgate spread material if I can't simultaneously drive, and dump.

"Split shaft PTO" Very common for high horsepower stationary operations like fire pumps, air compressors, concrete pumpers, and even drilling rigs. I'm sure there's even more applications. These are the ones I have seen.

Queenslander

Our particular truck has an 8 litre turbo intercooled six and a nine speed Eaton synchro box.
As Delmer says, the difference here is that Japanese trucks dominate the rigid truck market and have proven to be very reliable and long lasting.
Most Jap makers have prime movers up to about 420hp, but this end of the market is mostly all American and Euro.

Last edited:

crane operator

RZucker, or one of the other members would be a better source than me, willie B, but I think you will need to at least pop the side cover on your transmission. I think a few allisons have the side plate, but no pto gear inside.

I think I remember a buddy with a used transmission, and he needed pto, but the one he got used didn't have the gear. His choices were different trans (with the gear), or a complete disassembly of his trans to add the right gear drive. I think the used transmission was from a school bus, and that busses were usually ordered without the gear.

If the allison in yours was spec ordered without the gear, because they had the split pto, your transmission may not have it. But I don't know enough about that model transmission to tell you.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
RZucker, or one of the other members would be a better source than me, willie B, but I think you will need to at least pop the side cover on your transmission. I think a few allisons have the side plate, but no pto gear inside.

I think I remember a buddy with a used transmission, and he needed pto, but the one he got used didn't have the gear. His choices were different trans (with the gear), or a complete disassembly of his trans to add the right gear drive. I think the used transmission was from a school bus, and that busses were usually ordered without the gear.

If the allison in yours was spec ordered without the gear, because they had the split pto, your transmission may not have it. But I don't know enough about that model transmission to tell you.
That's a good point. Most every 600 series I have installed a PTO on has had the PTO drive gear... except for one that came from a school bus. That was an easy fix, gear, snap ring, seal ring and gasket for the front pump housing and throw in a convertor hub seal for good measure. But I did have the trans on the floor as I was replacing an old 5 speed in a Ford midsize cabover.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Current pump uses a short shaft with two universals from left side of transmission. I had considered a belt drive with electric clutch on the engine, or an electric pump like modern one ton machines use,

dist3

Occupation
Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
Truck would most likey have midship transfer case PTO. Pump operator would arrive at a call place truck in neutral and place PTO switch to pump. With foot on brake then place transmission to drive or 4th to send power to pto. Normally only truck with a pump and roll capability would be a foam unit.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Current pump uses a short shaft with two universals from left side of transmission. I had considered a belt drive with electric clutch on the engine, or an electric pump like modern one ton machines use,
Having the shaft drive pump will give you the option to keep your original pump and put it where you want it. Again, its a matter of matching the pump rotation and speed ratio of the PTO. With the auto trans I prefer the hydraulic shifted clutch PTOs, but that's just my preference. Had a GMC Brigadier water truck with an Allison and it was nice to just flip the switch and start pumping on the roll.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Still studying. The Chelsea/Parker 221 series I believe will fit. There is limited space to mount it beside the transmission. I'd prefer to replace my old pump as it uses a packing on the input shaft instead of a seal, and it needs frequent replacement, or it leaks. I've found used PTO-pump consolidated units, they seem a risky purchase, Will they fit? Will they leak? Will they work?

My son has found a new belt drive pump. It uses two belts. My engine front pulley has stacks of belts already on it, there isn't room for more without hitting the fan. I'm not sold on sharing belts with any of the belt driven units already there. Still unsure what to do next.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Was wondering how the progress was going? I can take some pics of the electrically engage/disengage pto on the allison in the 79 international bobtail dump if that may be of help? It connects to the dump bed hydraulic pump using a short driveshaft.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Right now, it's buried under two feet of recent snow. This is usually spring in VT. It's too tall for the garage door. Once the fire body is removed, it'll fit.