• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bulldog stone tr34r runs then dies

Adamjolt8813

I have a bulldog trench roller that will start and run, but then shuts off after about 20 seconds. The shutoff solenoid deactivates, causing the engine to shutoff, and all power to the screen goes off too, no error codes, just shuts off completely. I can turn the key back off and start it right back up and it will do the same thing. Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance!!!

SJFW

Just bought a bulldog trench compactor with the same problem. Find a fix?
Thanks

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I would check the oil sensor on the side of the engine, down by the oil pan..
Do u have any lites on the panel.?
Depending on the injection pump if it’s a diesel..??
U can remove ALL the fittings off the top of the pump and start it..
Fuel WILL FLOW OUT, so be prepared for that..
If it stays running, u probably have a pump problem..
I can help you with that..

SJFW

Diesel
It runs fine for 20 seconds then shuts down.
It will stay running if I wire fuel solenoid open. But then electronics shut off - so no controls. If I cycle key to off then back on I immediately have controls for another 20 seconds. Electric problem

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If it’s a 3 wire sol. U have to straight wire it properly..
Black is GROUND
RED IS HOLD.. then u can wire the plunger to the run position..
See how that works.

Garner

I have the same machine with the same problem. I have 2 codes. Low oil and Rev C. The oil is full. I have looked for an Oil Sensor and can't find one.
Has anyone solves this problem?
Thanks!

Garner

I have the same machine with the same problem. I have 2 codes. Low oil and Rev C. The oil is full. I have looked for an Oil Sensor and can't find one.
Has anyone solved this problem?
Thanks!
I learned that the codes can't be cleared after fixing the issue. The last code will always be there. Kinda stupid because you don't know if the issue has happened again, or it's just an old code. I also learned that "Rev C" isn't a code. It's the software revision being used. But I still don't know why the electronics quit after 20 seconds? Still hoping someone can solve this problem for me!

Garner

Update... I found a circuit board behind the display panel. I took a picture of it and magnified it. It appears as though some of the solder connections may have melted. I don't know how to test this and I can't find anyone else who knows how to either. I hate to buy a $3,500.00 part and spend several hours installing it to find that it's not the problem! Does anyone know of a way to test this? Or a way to wire around it? I'll try to attach a picture of it. 20220518_084027.jpg 20220518_084027.jpg

Garner

Hey guys! It's been a while and nobody has responded. I still haven't figured this out. I was hoping someone else might have the answer to fixing this machine.
Thanks!

Vetech63

I can't see your pics clear enough to see what may be damage to that board. Have you got a manufacturers part number for the board itself? Have you googled that part number to check for aftermarket availability?

Garner

I don't have a part # for the board, but I can try to get one. The thing is, I don't even know if that board is the culprit. I checked the price from Stone and that board is $3,500.00! I don't even know why it needs something like that??? It has a Hatz diesel that will run with no electric at all if you pin the fuel solenoid open. The rest of the steering solenoids, vibrator, forward, reverse, etc., don't need a computer to function. The remote control is separate. So it seems like that board is just there to run the hour meter, show fault codes, and shut the machine down.
Anyway...I'll try to get more information as you suggested! I'll post what I find. It may be a few days because I'm really busy right now!
Thanks for your time!

Vetech63

With a 20 second run time before shutdown, it really sounds like a sensor is picking up a fault. On most trench rollers there will be a low oil pressure sensor, a high temp sensor, and a level sensor. Call the manufacturer and see if you can get a wiring schematic for that machine. It will be needed to trace down the issue.

Garner

Before I started posting here, I found a couple sensors with a single wire going to them. I figured that meant they were Ground wires. Since I didn't know if they were normally Open or Closed, unhooked 1 at a time, tried it, and still the same problem. So I grounded it, tried it, same problem. Is that an accurate way to test them?
Also, I may have missed a sensor as I was just chasing the wiring harness looking for issues. So I'll get a diagram; as you suggested, and see if i missed something.
I only found 2 sensors. You said there's likely 3. So there's a good chance i missed one. I found one that appeared to be for the oil and one that appeared to be temperature. So maybe I missed the Level sensor?
I found a relay and several fuses. The fuses were good. I tried changing the relay. That didn't change anything.
I attached a wider shot of that circuit board for you. Maybe you'll see something in that view that you couldn't on the close up?20220516_123315.jpg
Thanks for your continued advice!

Vetech63

I am not familiar with the Stone Bulldog brand at all. I usually see the Bomag or Wacker versions but most of them should be very similar in design and operation. I really would need a schematic of the system to be of any more assistance or I could be sending you in multiple wrong directions. I still can't see the board well enough, but the wire colors might tell me something if they are defined in the wiring schematic. I would contact Stone, ask for technical services, and give them the model and serial number of your machine. Ask for an electrical schematic with a wiring legend and a theory of operation for the machine. If you can get a fault code listing, I would get that also. With these we can trace the issue down........without these it is going to be straight up guesswork.

Garner

I'm going to work on getting that information! It may take some time cuz I'm really busy right now!

I'm also curious as to why my pictures aren't coming through clear for you??? I can look at the tiniest details on my phone or computer by logging into this forum and looking at the photos I attached. I can see every number on the board and every solder point! On my phone, I just tap the picture then use the pinch/zoom and I can scroll around the board and look at everything. On the computer, I just "Click" on the image, and it enlarges to more than the size of the screen! I can then scroll around and see every detail even better than on the phone! That's actually why I originally took the pictures. The board was too small for me to see the details and I knew I could enlarge the photo to see the details. Too bad I don't know what I'm looking at! :D

Ok, thanks again for your time! I'll work on getting those wiring diagrams!

Brownm1579

Working on the same problem today. I've bypassed all safety switches without any luck. There seems to be some sort of timer that is kills power to the relay and solenoids. About 18 seconds after the key is switched on the electronics go out. If I start the machine within that time it is about 18 seconds before the machine shuts down. Really hoping its not the board at this point.

Garner

Thanks Brownm1579! We were looking for wiring diagrams and theory of operation. There are several people that have the same machine with the same problem. So far, nobody has posted a fix. Vetech63 seems like an electronics genius. Maybe he will see something in those schematics to help us?
Did you find the Level Sensor? I can't find it on mine.
Please post any progress you have!

Brownm1579

The level sensor is to the left of the terminal board. It looks like a small black capacitor with two 18/20g wires coming off it with a white connector