• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucyrus

Mother Deuce

Great find and a good tale to boot. I wish my backyard was that cool! With retirement looming out there just over the hill not to far they would be the perfect twins. Looking at the just the condition of the brake pedal "grousers" it does not look like they had a lot of use. I have seen brake pedals with holes wore in them by boot leather. What kinda 5 figures? Rational 5 figures or the other kind?

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Ok, 25D sounds about right on the model. That would have been my other guess.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Got a reply from the owner, mid teens on each with a couple grand more for the crane attachment with one of them.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
IF the engines still rotate(Shields on radiators for fans)and I get the covers off to verify the racks are not locked, these may be well worth more but he is willing to deal. He as I hate to leave machines sit, knows is harder on them than working every day.

Mother Deuce

They are Detroits... I always thought if you buried one in the backyard for 5 or ten years it would probably fire and run! LOL! (I am being facetious) I am a little curious, I thought NW used Murphys.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
They are Detroits... I always thought if you buried one in the backyard for 5 or ten years it would probably fire and run! LOL! (I am being facetious) I am a little curious, I thought NW used Murphys.
Honestly I have never seen a Detroit that was locked up from sitting unless water was leaked into the cylinders. Stuck injectors, valves, and rings on the other hand... I picked up an 8V-71 once for free and connected batteries and fuel to see if it would run, It sounded like a turbine when I hit the button, I think it took a couple of seconds to spin down after I let off the button. In the end I had 2 good heads and a good short block.
If the racks are stuck plenty of WD-40 on the plungers and tapping the plungers with a hammer and a nylon punch will usually free them up.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Helped pull three old Detroits out of Alton Pool on the MS River, been down that road. We did not even overhaul them, pulled all the covers, washed with water to move the mud then back washed with diesel then engine oil. Those engines never had a head off and were back to work in a week, did not miss a beat for seven years when they sold them off the barge.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Old exhaust stacks point up and straight back 90 degrees, do have mufflers on the engines and no rust trails to be seen HOWEVER drain holes could have filled up, could have gotten wet, will soon find out.

Mother Deuce

Old exhaust stacks point up and straight back 90 degrees, do have mufflers on the engines and no rust trails to be seen HOWEVER drain holes could have filled up, could have gotten wet, will soon find out.
Good Luck with that! I hope they are pristine as they can be given the situation

Mother Deuce

Just so sad to see graceful old machines die the slow death.
It sure is... The owner of this one passed some time ago. He was much loved and loved old gear and trucks like the rest of us. It has been sitting in that spot for many years as she is sinking vertically into the ground. I am trying to contact it's care provider. I am hopeful that something can be worked out. However it may be such a heirloom piece to this man's heirs it may be just too painful to see it leave. In which case she will be where she is.

Mother Deuce

Made contact with the shovel's owners and it is as I surmised they are going to keep her... and the hunt continues.

Mother Deuce

This is the case. The gentleman that owned seemed to leave a little early. They are greatly attached to the machine as a daily reminder of him.