• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucyrus

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
South of BAY MO on county Rd F are two old forward dig Bucyrus excavators/shovels. Actually in pretty complete, pretty decent shape. I have tried to get hold of the carpenter that framed the house here, he is a lifer at Bay and should know who if anyone owns them and any stories about them. Would be awesome if the old beasts still operated.

Will grab some photos next pass by.

Buickspec6231

Here in NY there is a pretty awesome steam engine /antique tractor show. At the show they have a section set up for the old cable shovels and dozers to mess around and play. I watched the guys running the controls in the cable shovels and was amazed at how busy they were grabbing handles and pulling levers. It was fun to watch. Below is a link about the show. They used all the antique equipment to build the gravel road on the right side.
IMG_5619.JPG

https://nysteamengineassociation.com

Mother Deuce

I would love to get a chance to play with any of these three. Never got to try a mechanical (manual) Crane/Dragline/Shovel.
Me neither. I did get to run a P&H 4100 a little, however that is much more like a locomotive with a really bad attitude than a small old school shovel. I am watching for one... someday you will find me on the back of the property trying to figure it out by myself in secret LOL!

Mother Deuce

Here in NY there is a pretty awesome steam engine /antique tractor show. At the show they have a section set up for the old cable shovels and dozers to mess around and play. I watched the guys running the controls in the cable shovels and was amazed at how busy they were grabbing handles and pulling levers. It was fun to watch. Below is a link about the show. They used all the antique equipment to build the gravel road on the right side.
IMG_5619.JPG

https://nysteamengineassociation.com
Thanks for that I will check it out!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Well I found out the owner, the call has been made and message left. The guy is the County Surveyor according to a neighbor, same fella that surveyed my place three times so far for initial then refinances. Both supposedly run and operate, will get pics next.

Mother Deuce

Well I found out the owner, the call has been made and message left. The guy is the County Surveyor according to a neighbor, same fella that surveyed my place three times so far for initial then refinances. Both supposedly run and operate, will get pics next.
Cool! Looking forward to seeing them!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
His Dad owned them from New, had them for laying sewers in N. St. Louis County small towns. Has a crane attachment to fit either of them. I have not seen the need for four arms/hands and three legs/feet until now. OSHA would NOT like these, the frictions are the seat backrest.

Attachments

• IMG_3491.JPG
    IMG_3491.JPG
    777.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3494.JPG
    IMG_3494.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3495.JPG
    IMG_3495.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3496.JPG
    IMG_3496.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 66

Graham1

They look like all you need to do is put a jump pack on and they would be up and running. Buy them both now before you regret it and someone cuts them up for scrap.
Graham

rayman

Mr Millar, the three machines in the first pic are all "Face Shovels" the two "Northwest's" are "back-actors" or trenchers. Those machines are not hard to drive when the clutch's and brakes are adjusted correctly. They all have relay clutches that do the hard work for you. There is a bit of "hand-foot" co-ordination involved. They can be harder to operate slowly rather than fast. You do have to remember that everything comes down in free-fall. My own personal preference was operating grab cranes and draglines, I like to think I was pretty good at it too,

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That one photo looks like a 3-71 to me. I alway thought they put the frictions close to you to keep you warm in the winter. Nothing like the smell of asbestus dust in the morning.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Wish I could, he is asking Five figure pricing, did not say WHAT five figures and I did not press. Were working the day his Dad moved them to where they sit then he had a fight when his Dad died with the sibs as to who gets what at what cost. The current owner got a Traxcavator, a 12A 955 and these two gems with attorney fees at $150K. Now that he has gotten older is time for these to go down the road. The Traxcavator engine is locked up, he is working to remedy that, the 955 he still uses on his cattle farm. And I do not doubt fresh batteries, fresh fuel and a lube job and these old Goliaths would be running and working. Scrappers have stopped by many times, he runs them off.

All the photos are the same units, just a pair and both definite 3L71's, you are correct I fat fingered the 4. Are model 25D according to the owner.