• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Broke hub spoke

Don.S

So we had a driver spin a wheel this week and when i pulled the inside dual we found this. The boss said pull the hub he wants it welded. Is that the right way to go or what? Is all this cracking in the drum normal and how about wear?
This truck is a 94 international but it runs great and every day. Pretty soon it will need wheels and spacers due to rust so would doing a hub pilot conversion be worth it or a waste of money?
20200228_024434.jpg 20200228_024349.jpg 20200219_075203.jpg

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That hub has probably had it, so has the drum. Its time to check into the cost of converting it to pilot wheels if that's what you guys want to do. If the rims and spacers are getting beaten out and the rest of the hubs have damage from spun rims I would definitely look into it. Then you can do brake jobs without pulling hubs.
Lately I've been changing out a lot of obsolete trailer axles due to the fact that a complete brake job is only about $400 cheaper than a new axle with outboard drums. And much cheaper to do the next couple of brake jobs.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
So we had a driver spin a wheel this week and when i pulled the inside dual we found this. The boss said pull the hub he wants it welded. Is that the right way to go or what? Is all this cracking in the drum normal and how about wear?
The cracking is probably from overheating the brakes and like RZ said above the hub is scrap. Any one of those cracks could open up in a heartbeat and you'd be left with pieces of hub scattered down the highway. As above - turn it into a boat anchor.

Truck Shop

Well under Federal DOT rules, you can not weld wheels aluminum or steel or on any type of wheel end or hub period. Anyone who would risk using a failed hub or wheel has no business
being in business. If my boss/owner asked or told me to repair something like that or let a repair slide that could cause a accident-he knows what will happen. I've told him straight to his face
{Don't go there-I will pick up the phone and call the WSP-asap- job or no job.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been there as well several years ago, older IH, with Milwaukee Mags as TS calls them, one ear damaged or cracked and an owner screaming to begging to weld it to "Get one more load off". I would NOT put MY name to that, have outright yelled back at a boss telling me to do it or walk that he knows where to send my last check to where he backed off and apologized. This becomes a What of the OTHER stress cracks in that hub, spin wear you cannot measure, a death of the operator or someone the truck takes out not IF it fails after repair but WHEN it fails. Whole Heartedly agree BOAT Anchor Scrap yard material is all that one is, any others with Spun damage follow this one.

Dave Z

Ditto all the other guys comments, scrap it. Anybody that want's to skimp on safety has no business being in business. Had the opportunity to disassemble a brake system and measure components (drums for oversize) at the direction of the district attorney's office on a trash truck that the driver died in after a run away downhill accident (lost brakes). Found nothing wrong with the truck and it was later determined the driver suffered a medical event, however as a mechanic its a stark reminder on the importance of safety.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I remember seeing an ad in a truck magazine probably 15 years ago of a company that would take a hub like that, machine off all the wheel tabs and weld a ring to the hub with a locating rim the whole way around so the wheel would automatically install straight. From the posts here that would seemingly be illegal but on paper it seemed to be a viable solution. Don't know the name of the company or if they're even in business anymore

56wrench

nowadays I would not work for anybody that would argue with me over safety issues. it is my mechanics license that is on the line-not their's. if I were to lose my license I would not be able to make journeyman wages. an employer that tells you to use unsafe parts will throw you under the bus if and when a fatality and lawsuit happens

Mother Deuce

Going to be a ongoing theme, as more and more 20 year old plus rides suffer that issue. We had one on an older Mack last year. No longer available from Mack. Our Master Mechanic finally located one that a dealer had on a shelf somewhere in the midwest. With the loss of investment tax credits years ago and the soaring cost of new iron... this is an issue that someone somewhere probably will be visiting on a daily basis. Hopefully those people will make the right decisions as well.

Don.S

So how do i go about finding this hub? After a quick internet search would i be correct in thinking that it is probably not made anymore? Will i be having to find something used?

Truck Shop

Go off the Vin number first and see what comes up you never know there might be NOS or a hub that crosses over.

Dave Z

or if what Truck Shop suggests doesn't get any results do a google search for a Webb or Gunite pdf catalog and check in those. You'll need your inner and outer bearing #'s and other dimensions off the hub to ID it but its a pretty straighforward process. At least if you have a Webb or Gunite PN it'll broaden your field of vendors that may stock it and may even drive the price down a bit - but only a bit my guess is.