• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Boulder Hunt!

aighead

Well, our rock shopping adventure has come to an end. I think we are getting about 2 tons of a thin flagstone and a ton of some other crap to build the wall. And a ton of sand. About 1900 bucks delivered. I'll post some pictures once it shows up.

I also priced, but wasn't smart enough to document, some bigger rocks, which I think were about the size of let's say half a loveseat with the back chopped off, for around a 100 bucks. I didn't buy any but I may head back down to the store and get a couple. They are bigger than what I typically find around here and not that expensive, and if I can add more to the delivery of the other junk it helps.

As I think about my pond project, which is the real root of all this nonsense, I'm likely to spend a real sh1tload on rocks. They had some nice looking stuff, like the below, for 230 a ton, with some negotiating (likely to mean 10-15% less) but I could use this entire corral full a couple times over. Then also need some pea gravel to fill in empty spaces.

I've come to the conclusion that diesel is significantly less expensive than rocks. I need to find the thread posts with the rock screening jigs so I can copy the style and start digging holes out back. I think, with screening, I can find a lot of usable rock for, basically, free, and I'll stumble upon some good, bigger, rocks in there too. There's nothing really stopping me from digging 2 acres of 15 foot deep holes to explore.

20210806_114836.jpg

Don.S

Good rocks make a big difference but honestly that is why we just laugh when some one says i will rent a machine and do it for less. When you get guys that have sat in a excavator for tens of thousands of hours they are pretty good. That. Job took 4 days to get to that point and three guys. One operator in a excavator one in a small wheel loader who also plays labourer and a truck drive. So rip out the old wood wall and remove and load in truck then dig back property about 5 feet and haul away. Haul in rocks and build wall then back fill with 4 to 8 inch stone and top with soil. That was done in 3 days then the customer added the walkway so the 4th day we did that and top soil.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That is what we do. The blueish rock we buy at 100$ a ton and the brown stuff we pull out of a pit my boss has. There is a layer in the water you can not see. the brown stone is 12 inch thick and the blue is 19 inch thick. The brown walkway is about 4 to 6 inch thick. View attachment 243497

Well done Don. That's a nice stone wall.

Wife and I are planning a new house on a dog lot close into our metro area and will require several retaining walls. Your wall is exactly what I have in mind of building.

Don.S

We work really hard to try and avoid visible shims and there was only 1 cut made on a rock on that wall. Its the building out of the water that is the really hard part as soon as you start to work the water gets so dark you cant see a rock once you put it down. That wall i spent two days in the water with a laser and feeling around with my hands and a level measuring off a string line to make sure its straight.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
250 a ton, and not even nice cobble. Before we opened the quarry, they used to screen the cobble out of the winter sand, then later crush it for drainage stone, or cement agg. I think armour rock is around 5 bucks a ton if you load it yourself. Mind you, it's like 4 or 5 ton per rock

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
We have a number of quarries near. It is all Calcium Carbonate, or others are Dolomite. The product is all blasted. Based on size & level of processing it ranges in price $7 to $10 a ton loaded in your truck.

I don't happen to posses any flat rock. All of mine is glacial & the corners are knocked off. A very few will have one utterly flat side. I build a retaining wall in rows. Place a layer, then fill level behind it. Next layer must rest behind center of the below.
A freestanding wall is two rows of boulders with small stuff between, then go up from there.

Pixie

Occupation
remodeling
DonS, those must be shaped by men/machines ? One in a million here have anything vaguely resembling 2 paralell sides !

Had a little boulder hunt today. Building a 'retaining' wall along the driveway at my project house. All the reasonable sized ones were gathered up into stone walls many years ago. Had to find ones that were dug up more recently ( 30 years ago) for buried phone line . Easy to find the motorcycle and bigger sized ones. Breadbox to truck-mount toolbox are a little more elusive.

And I can't just dig around cause the only area not covered in large trees has the buried line.

aighead

I love your size descriptions @Pixie! Hopefully you were successful!

Here's my stash, the last picture will be the rocks we use for the wall and at the store it seemed like a full skid would be way too many, so we reduced the amount, now it looks like it may not be enough.

20210813_163233.jpg20210813_163245.jpg 20210813_163251.jpg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
You can have these for free if you come get them. The digging right here is more than 50% rocks.
You are killing me! There's A power Wagon on blocks! Mine is 1956 C4. They only made C4 part of two years, I guess they made so many mistakes they started fresh. 1956 first year of synchromesh, double frame, 9500 GVWR option. Mine must have been a dually, it has 4.89:1 gearing. It has had all the gearboxes gone through, fresh engine 1000 miles ago. I have factory winch front + Garwood GY16 behind the cab. The rear winch powers the dump body, (my own design).
You can have these for free if you come get them. The digging right here is more than 50% rocks.

materthegreater

You are killing me! There's A power Wagon on blocks! Mine is 1956 C4. They only made C4 part of two years, I guess they made so many mistakes they started fresh. 1956 first year of synchromesh, double frame, 9500 GVWR option. Mine must have been a dually, it has 4.89:1 gearing. It has had all the gearboxes gone through, fresh engine 1000 miles ago. I have factory winch front + Garwood GY16 behind the cab. The rear winch powers the dump body, (my own design).

I was wondering if you'd notice that. The customer was doing a brake job on it. I don't know the year or any details but I can ask him about it next time I see him.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
What about women? My sister has a glare that can cut stone...
My mother in law, (she's dead). These days, my niece, frighten stone to shape.
Don't get me wrong, I like women, they are 56% of humans. Two specific women could frighten stone into shape.
I never feared my sister, proves I am a fool.
I never feared my mother in law, Proof positive!
My niece causes earthquakes, she's so scary!