1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Boulder Hunt!

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by aighead, Nov 20, 2019.

1. grachman

grachman Member

Rocks deposited by glaciers are pretty ugly at least around here. You need rocks that are weathered by a river or time. I live at the foot of mountain. Lots of rocks but not weathered enough. Nothing worse than rocks that have been split. Maybe make rocks out of concrete.

aighead likes this.
  2. Pixie

Pixie Well-Known Member

killing trees, fixing stuff
    Beauty is in the eye of the rock owner... I like them a little worn and showing some moss/lichen but having a flat side. Really dislike teeth marks !
    Often river rocks are rounded and hard to stack into a wall and seldom sit flat.

A local contractor builds rock retaining walls out of rocks that were in a grinder and they are ugly !

aighead likes this.
  3. grachman

grachman Member

My rocks look ok with moss but if you clean off moss they look like crap. Definitely not eye of beholder. Nice rocks command good prices. Best to get opinion from professional.

4. doublewide

doublewide Senior Member

Another score! 20201117_112837.jpg

aighead likes this.
  5. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Mine show teeth marks, or fire. I've never known what they are. I've asked a few geologists. They say it is some vague rock somehow similar to granite. I know it is HARD, harder than granite ever hoped to be.

I've wanted 36" squares 2" thick to make counter top. I've presented the idea to several stone cutters. All will only cut square stone.

aighead likes this.
  6. aighead

aighead Senior Member

That's kind of surprising @Willie B I would've assumed they wouldn't care so long as you were willing to pay for the waste cuts. Maybe even waste cuts on the bottom too, if they need to secure it to a bench or something.

7. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Something about the shape of the stone deflecting the diamond saw sideways. I only somewhat understand the process, I think they would use rope saws.
    The Danby Marble Quarry is a couple miles from here. The boss once said "Bring one up some Saturday, I'll see if I can do it." Bad luck for him & me, a week later cancer hit him hard. He died a month later.
    I've cut marble with a 10" diamond blade on a 9" hand held grinder. It is VERY soft, easy to cut.

aighead likes this.
  8. aighead

aighead Senior Member

I remember watching some tv show where they were making huge cuts on random shaped stones and it looked like a crazy process but that's why I mentioned that it seemed possible. I don't remember the show name.

9. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Today was rough. I kidded myself. The "road" I had built inside the wall had a few bumps. When I dig out a "bump" it usually is a 4' boulder. It takes a while, but I dig it out & fill the hole. The monsters I can pull, but can't lift, they slow the process. Sure enough, there were two! Now I have to go get wood.

aighead likes this.
  10. Andy1845c

Andy1845c Well-Known Member

Electrician
    One of my pipe dream/who knows if I will ever actually get to it projects is so build a diamond wire saw set up to slab boulders. I have seen some used for garden paths and sidewalks and figure there could actually be a fun side income in that - but too many irons in the fire right now...

aighead likes this.
  11. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Where I live marble is the stone actually quarried. Danby marble was once claimed to be the world's largest underground marble quarry. The stuff is EVERYWHERE. I'm not clear why, but they used to dump millions of cubic yards off the parking lot at the mouth of the quarry. A town road runs along the base of that dump. Local people have always picked from it for projects. The quarry people frown on the practice.
    Not far away are several granite quarries.
    15 miles away are a row of slate quarries.

Still I know of no one who has built a stone saw. All that I know of have manufactured machines. To me marble (the most easily available) does not appeal. As kitchen counter top, it stains way too easily, is fragile, sensitive to hot stuff, and white.
    As paving, it is slimy when wet, not the sort of thing you want for stairs even.

Pixie likes this.