• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bought a used 303.5 - Scammed or just Stupid? Or both?

Welder Dave

If you're happy with it is the main thing. At least you've gone through it so know the condition of everything. It's better than paying more for a machine that looks good but has hidden problems you don't know about or the seller tried to hide.

crane operator

Probably not getting anywhere near 100hr/yr.

Total cost at this point is the initial 26k + about 3.5k in parts and tracks. So all said and done, what do y'all think? Is 30k a good price for this machine?
You can probably rent that machine for $1500-1800 per week. So less than 2 weeks/ 80 hours? Say $3,500 a year in rental cost? vs. $30,000 tied up? I think I'd rent, but its not my money.

Hope you get to use it, more than you are planning on.

skyking1

You can probably rent that machine for $1500-1800 per week. So less than 2 weeks/ 80 hours? Say $3,500 a year in rental cost? vs. $30,000 tied up? I think I'd rent, but its not my money.

Hope you get to use it, more than you are planning on.
it does not work that way in real life. it's two hours here, 4 hours there, sit a month, do a week, etc.
Now if a person is building a finite thing like a house on a lot, or doing a single project like running an irrigation pipe through then renting is the ticket. "farming" is not that oorganized in most cases.

colson04

it does not work that way in real life. it's two hours here, 4 hours there, sit a month, do a week, etc.
Now if a person is building a finite thing like a house on a lot, or doing a single project like running an irrigation pipe through then renting is the ticket. "farming" is not that oorganized in most cases.
Yeah, thats pretty well how it works. We have a Deere 590D, Deere 550G, 20 ton tag, and a Ford L9000 dump truck on a dairy farm that we bought about 12 years ago. All were bought for one project that was going to cover a few months worth of work in phases. We bought all of the equipment for less than what the excavation portion of the quote came in at. My uncle has extensive excavation experience from 20 years in the industry before returning to farming so we had the experience to do the work. Once that project finished, the machines mostly sit, but, BUT they're too damned handy to ever be sold off. We got by just fine without those machines before, but life is so much nicer ever since they came out. One off drainage projects got done. Fence rows got cleared. Our driveways are in way better condition and actually get regular maintenance. We've used the excavator as a crane in multiple instances where we wouldn't have had the equipment to do a job otherwise. On a whim, we were able to extend a concrete pad for ag silage bags last minute. Haul our own gravel, crushed concrete, etc. Use the tag trailer to pickup/delivery other equipment to save on delivery fees. Haul more bales, reshape our silage poles for better drainage with less spoilage, the list just goes on. Most of these projects were all afternoon deals where we had time and had been thinking "man, that would be nice", or "hey, we can do that job ourselves and get it over with"

We had a center pivot get stuck one day in a mucky area of the field. We got it unstuck, then hauled the excavator down, dug out the trench, hauled in a couple truck loads of good gravel, filled it and had the pivot passing that spot be end of day.

Some days, it pays dividends to just have that equipment readily available.

skyking1

yes, different horses for different courses.
Bad news is my little rental place a mile from the new place is closed. He retired and sold off the equipment and headed for Baja.
This foils my rental plans, I will have to get the trailer now to rent a Kubota.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Finally found the time to finish the machine. I don't have before pictures of everything but it was fairly beat up. Now looks like new-ish and feels great. As tight as it was from the factory - the only thing I didn't end up working on was the slew ring. The pinion gear had maybe 1/32 of wear on it, so not the end of the world.

New pins/bushings pretty much everywhere. Anything that was off was repaired or replaced. Added another aux circuit with a radio and a light bar.

Going now to live an easy life on my cabin property. Probably not getting anywhere near 100hr/yr.

Total cost at this point is the initial 26k + about 3.5k in parts and tracks. So all said and done, what do y'all think? Is 30k a good price for this machine?

Might have missed up thread but how many hours on the machine?