1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Bought a Bucyrus Erie 30B lattice boom 60 ton crane

Discussion in 'Cranes' started by ichudov, Jun 1, 2021.

1. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

hire an operator. Find the right guy and he can show you, but screw the idea of watching a video. That will get you into trouble.

2. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

What do you plan to do with it? The worst thing you can do with a friction crane is to try and run it and a business together. They are simple to run , but they demand your un interupted attention.Get some help to set it up in a corner of your yard and play with it.

3. ichudov

ichudov Senior Member

Thanks. I am not sure what I will do with it. I have a machinery moving/rigging business, and mostly do scrap metal (heavy equipment removal for scrap) nowadays. I do have an RT crane that I learned to operate.

RBMcCloskey likes this.
  4. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

I'm not a complete expert on these things but I do have some exposure to them. Brief instructions for dismantling the boom;

• Lower the boom to the ground and rest the cathead on a block of wood.
    • Continue to lower until there is plenty of slack in the pendant ropes.
    • Un-reeve the hook block and wind the rope back onto the drum.
    • Un-pin the pendant ropes. It's useful to tie them to their respective boom sections for transport with bits of rope. Don't get the pendant ropes mixed up. They come as a pair of matched length.
    • Pin the last pendants to the boom foot section.
    • Gently take the weight of the boom with the boom hoist rope.
    • Support the base of the cathead on something (oil drum, typically) and unbolt it from the boom.
    • Take the weight of the remaining boom sections with a crane and unbolt them.
    Optional;
    • When you have just the boom foot left, drive the crane up to the cathead, bolt it on and attach the pendants.
    • Position the boom over the sections you removed. Chain the sections to the boom, lift them up and you're ready to go.
    If you do decide to move the boom sections and cathead separately on a truck, use caution driving the crane onto the float. It will be back heavy and quite tippy.

RBMcCloskey, Nige, ichudov and 2 others like this.
  5. GOOG

GOOG Active Member

So how did you make out with moving the new machine? Get her home? I move mine in one piece. She's sporting 70' of stick and a drag bucket.

skyking1 likes this.