• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Boom drift down

ichudov

This weekend, I did an experiment. I raised by boom up just a little and lowered the hook to be near the ground.

I did that on Friday and left.

After roughly two days, the boom/hook drifted down by about 6 inches.

The boom was retracted and there was no load, other than the 400 lb hook block.

Would you say that it is normal to drift down by about 6 inches in those circumstances?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There is a specification for oil that seeps past the packing in the cylinder. It does that to lube the packing. Because of this every cylinder is going to drift some over time. I would say your machine is well within any spec for drift. I've looked at plenty of machines that would drift that much in a minute or less.

td25c

Good man ichudov !

Your testing the rig and learning it's limits . Mark of a true operator .:thumbsup

Next thing is pick some loads in the yard & get the feel of the machine . Practice some with the load chart picking something with a known weight .

6 inches of drift in 48 hours don't sound out of line to me . Now with that being said I never leave a boom up over night at a job site . When quitting time comes we retract it & stow it in the cradle . If I'm jacked up on the out riggers I let the machine down on the safety pins until we return .

Like Buckethead said drift go's with hydro units . It's all about how much drift in a given time frame .

If you don't want any drift got to go back to a cable rig & dog it in . They wont drift until the cable rusts in two .:)

Last edited:

Knepptune

That's not much drift if the boom is fairly horizontal. The higher the boom angle the less pressure is on the cylinders and the less drift you have. We had one that if you kept the boom up around 50 degree angle or higher it wouldn't drift much at all. Drop it to a 20 or so and the boom tip was touching ground by morning.

I probably wouldn't worry about it to much. I usually put the hook 6 inch off the ground at about a 20 degree boom angle with boom fully retracted. If the hook is on the ground the next morning the cylinders need rebuilt. An rt60s has very simple easily rebuildable cylinders.

daddieboy

Occupation
Architect
Hello guys I am looking all over this forum for help i have a hitachi ex200-2 which recently had a problem of metal grinding in the pump which cause the machine hydraulic system to go completely dead. I replace all the parts inside the pump remove the valve bank and clean it. I clean the complete machine in order to remove the particles from the system. I finally get it to function but i am having a slow and low power retracting boom and arm cylinders, what could be causing this to happen. I desperately needs someone help.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hello guys I am looking all over this forum for help i have a hitachi ex200-2 which recently had a problem of metal grinding in the pump which cause the machine hydraulic system to go completely dead. I replace all the parts inside the pump remove the valve bank and clean it. I clean the complete machine in order to remove the particles from the system. I finally get it to function but i am having a slow and low power retracting boom and arm cylinders, what could be causing this to happen. I desperately needs someone help.

You will probably have better luck if you start your own thread on the excavator forum.