1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Boom Boats

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by John C., May 18, 2020.

1. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I have a client looking for a sidewinder boom boat and possibly found one on Vancouver Island. I've been asked to do an inspection on a unit on Vancouver Island but don't know what it takes to get across the border right now. I'm looking for any information on boom boats; what to look for, used ones being offered for sale or anyone up there who might be able to do an inspection for me on this unit. You can post here or send me a email at jcraughan@comcast.net.

Thanks for any information you might provide.

John C

2. Jumbo

Jumbo Senior Member

retired
    Critical criteria; does it float?:D
    Most boom boats I ever saw just had big Mercuries in the well to power them. Not to be a smart azz, holding water out is a concern. How thin is the metal? Most worked in the saltchuck and rusted/corroded hulls would be a concern.

3. John C.

John C. Senior Member

This isn't one of small bugs that push around one or two logs at a time. It's got a 4-53 Detroit and an Olympic Drive. It is stored on land and questions concerning the hull and the workings is why I would need an inspection. Condition of the skeg and keel cooler along with the drive and steering system would be other concerns.

4. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Well-Known Member

I know nothing about these boats, but now I am curious. Let us know what you find out. Pictures??

5. hoechucker

hoechucker Well-Known Member

I don't know much about them either but they sure are fun to drive

Hank R likes this.
  6. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

Part time pebble hauler
    Typical West Coast Boom Boat ( Dozer Boat) At BCFP Renfrew Div. scan310.jpg scan311.jpg

John C. likes this.
  7. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Here is a video of a small operation and a boat working. Note the sweat song of the Detroit.

dirty4fun and donkey doctor like this.
  8. Flat Thunder Channel

Flat Thunder Channel Well-Known Member

Nice video! I watched a few others I found on YouTube. Those boats can really whip around in the water! The one I watched made me nauseous how much it tipped side to side. I understand how it got the name sidewinder! It looks like the drive is enclosed on the underside hull to protect it from debri. Keep us updated on the boat survey / pickup.

9. John C.

John C. Senior Member

I'll let you know after a deal is done.