• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bolts

56wrench

Hardened steel flatwashers under bolt heads work good when properly torqued. That was the only method Cat used for many years with some special exemptions. Anyone remember the castellated(slotted) nuts with the special cotter pins used on con-rod nuts on some of the old cat engines?

mekanik

I remember split lock washers that the ends were slightly thicker on opposing sides so they would bite into the bolt head and the metal below the washer. I always thought that was not a good idea as it could cause a crack to start at the bolt hole or damage the radius between the bolt shank and bolt head causing the bolt head to break off.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Hardened steel flatwashers under bolt heads work good when properly torqued. That was the only method Cat used for many years with some special exemptions. Anyone remember the castellated(slotted) nuts with the special cotter pins used on con-rod nuts on some of the old cat engines?
Definitely rings a bell. Not sure I've ever seen it in person.

joe--h

Anyone remember the castellated(slotted) nuts with the special cotter pins used on con-rod nuts on some of the old cat engines?

Picked lots of pieces of cotterpins out of the oil pump screen on old Jag engines. Supposedly hitting the oil in the sump causes them to break.

Joe H

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Should we save the three in one discussion for this time next year? We still have a lot of washer stuff to talk about. For example, nobody has mentioned that hardened flat washers have a head side and a work piece side. We totally skipped that.

mekanik

Yes and remember the stamped sheet metal lock nuts that went on the rod and main bearing studs after the nuts were torqued?
I only ever saw one engine with them it was a 50's vintage Case gas engine in a Baker Hi Lift loader. One of the older guys I worked with was an engine machinist in the 50's and said they were common.

Truck Shop

i-dont-always-zx7lok.jpg
Should we save the three in one discussion for this time next year? We still have a lot of washer stuff to talk about. For example, nobody has mentioned that hardened flat washers have a head side and a work piece side. We totally skipped that.

Oh My--1/4 flat for 5/16 bolts, 5/16 flat for 3/8 bolts and so on.

Last edited:

Pony

Which side is WhICh?
The hardened washers I use have a stamp on one side, just cause I'm ocd I always put that side towards the nut.
Didn't know there was a right or wrong side.
Did I fluke it the right way?

JPV

I have learned the hard way about re-using bolts on suspension components, especially Kenworth 8 bag sway bar bolts. When those break and the axle walks all over and you are laying under a loaded truck probably on a hill trying to get things back in position it tends to stick with you. It happened a couple times before I figured it out. New bolts properly torqued, no problems ever.