• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 773 or Cat 228?

erthmover

Im am looking to buy a skid steer and want to get some opinions from guys who have used them or own them. As far as what I will be using it for would be grading, moving dirt, stone and light excavating. I've been looking for used one and the 773 and the Cat 228 seem to be in my price range. A few guys I have talked to say Bobcat makes good reliable machines but they've never used a Cat skid steer. So any opinions would be helpful. Also how many hours do skid steers usually last if taken care of?

grassmanvt

I haven't had a bobcat but I do own a deere 240 and a cat 236. Both have been decent machines but the controls on the cat really spoil you. Very light touch and very sensitive to user input. The conventional hand/foot setup is ok but the cat controls are super easy to get used to and don't tire you out.As far as hours, I have seen some skids with around 10,000 hours although that's on the high side. If your interested, I might shortly have my 236 for sale and might also be coming into a 226 with super low hours. I'm not a dealer just like to fool around with used equipment. Also, depending on your location and what you will be using it for finding one with a full cab and heat can be worth it's weight in gold.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
erthmover said:
Im am looking to buy a skid steer and want to get some opinions from guys who have used them or own them. As far as what I will be using it for would be grading, moving dirt, stone and light excavating. I've been looking for used one and the 773 and the Cat 228 seem to be in my price range. A few guys I have talked to say Bobcat makes good reliable machines but they've never used a Cat skid steer. So any opinions would be helpful. Also how many hours do skid steers usually last if taken care of?

The Bobcat 773 and Cat 228 are not comparable in several ways. First, their ROC differs, Second, their loader arm configuration differs, Third, the 228 has high flow hydraulics. If you are looking in the 773 ROC range, take a look at the Cat 232. It's on par with the 773. Or, if you're looking at the 228 type machine, take a look at the Bobcat 763.

As for which is better, you will really, really need to take a demo to appreciate them. In the 1500 ROC size class (your 228), I'd take the 228; between the 232 and 773, however, I'm not sure... my guess is I'd take the 773. But without any type of testing or more information on what you're going to do, I really can't tell you anything without misleading you in some way.

In the meantime, do take a look around -- here, tractorbynet.com, and lawnsite.com (especially) have very thorough reviews of skids.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've owned a Cat 248 since 2000 and have about 1200 hours on it. When I was shopping, I demoed a Case, John Deere, New Holland and Bobcat in the same class. I found the pilot controls and the control pattern to be so much better than the others that there was no real decision to make. The right stick runs the loader in the standard one stick loader control pattern so there's no learning curve. The left stick you just point where you want to go, it's that simple.

The controls are so smooth and responsive that you can grade to very fine tolerances, something I wasn't able to do with the other machines. The Cat also has a foot operated accelerator as in a vehicle which also helps with fine work. You need only apply as much fuel as you need for the current operation. Without the need of your feet to operate the boom, you can easily feather the fuel load.

I ran a Bobcat equipped with pilot controls a year ago but they just weren't as smooth or responsive. This may have been improved since then, I don't know. The Caterpillar also is VERY quiet in the cab, you won't need ear protection for loader operations. Some attachments make enough noise to require it, but the machine itself is very quiet. This makes quite a difference in fatigue levels after a day of operation.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
kamerad47 said:
I like the AC in the bobcat cab!!!!!!

Unfortunately, several manufacturers now offer AC in their cabs. :lol:

Steve Frazier said:
I've owned a Cat 248 since 2000 and have about 1200 hours on it. When I was shopping, I demoed a Case, John Deere, New Holland and Bobcat in the same class. I found the pilot controls and the control pattern to be so much better than the others that there was no real decision to make. The right stick runs the loader in the standard one stick loader control pattern so there's no learning curve. The left stick you just point where you want to go, it's that simple.

The controls are so smooth and responsive that you can grade to very fine tolerances, something I wasn't able to do with the other machines. The Cat also has a foot operated accelerator as in a vehicle which also helps with fine work. You need only apply as much fuel as you need for the current operation. Without the need of your feet to operate the boom, you can easily feather the fuel load.

I ran a Bobcat equipped with pilot controls a year ago but they just weren't as smooth or responsive. This may have been improved since then, I don't know. The Caterpillar also is VERY quiet in the cab, you won't need ear protection for loader operations. Some attachments make enough noise to require it, but the machine itself is very quiet. This makes quite a difference in fatigue levels after a day of operation.

Cat's pilot controls are very smooth. It's my opinion (very limited as you may know) that Case's controls allow a better "feel" for the digging, though, and offer better feathering than Cat's system (at least with both on max throttle). With the Cat, it seemed like a slight touch of the joystick wouldn't yield anything until the spool valve opened completely and the cylinders shot one way or the other. Just an observation, though, and it could have been on only that machine.

kamerad47

But I think all the other one's are add on's not built in!! There is a difference!

erthmover

When I Demoed them I seem to like the Bobcat vertical lift better than the Cat. Even thought the Cat has such great controls Bobcats aren't bad. It will be a hard choice to chose. The both brands make excellent machines and I've enjoyed running them both. I'd probably chose the Bobcat 773 Turbo.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
erthmover said:
When I Demoed them I seem to like the Bobcat vertical lift better than the Cat. Even thought the Cat has such great controls Bobcats aren't bad. It will be a hard choice to chose. The both brands make excellent machines and I've enjoyed running them both. I'd probably chose the Bobcat 773 Turbo.

I think it's a good choice overall. The machine is still running solidly and has done well.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Just keep in mind that the Cat 228 vs 773 isn't a true comparison during lifting because the two machines are so different.

catbrown357

Both machines are good machines, but you are not comparing apples to apples. The 773 is overall a heavier machine, more suited to construction applications. Although the 228 could do heavier jobs, it is more suited to lighter work. The Cat controls on all their machines are far better than any that I have ever operated. I also believe that Cat service is far better than Bobcat.

surfer-joe

Both are good machines. The Bobcat is probably built a little heavier, but the Cat is more sophisticated and will do the work and hold together as well. Service and parts on the Cat are likely to be much better in most areas. Bobcat just doesn't have the dealer network. The Cat engine is definitely better than the Kubota.

I don't know yet if Bobcat is part of the division sale that IR just made to Volvo. That could goo up the works for a while. I note that the 763/773 are not in the Bobcat line-up anymore, but the 228 isn't in Cat's either.

Ritchie's auction prices range from 8-12000 bucks on the 773. The only Cat 228 was $10500.00. 236 Cat's were more numerous, going from 7500 to 26000 bucks in last 6 months.

Good luck!

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I don't know yet if Bobcat is part of the division sale that IR just made to Volvo. That could goo up the works for a while. I note that the 763/773 are not in the Bobcat line-up anymore, but the 228 isn't in Cat's either.

The 763 is now the S150/S160; the 773 is now the S175/S185.

The Cat 228 is no longer offered, but the 226B is available with high-flow (which is what the 228 was to the 226).

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF catbrown357! :drinkup

Electra_Glide

I'll echo what Steve said. I have a few dozen hours of seat time in a Cat, but I own a Bobcat with the standard hand/foot controls. I feel I could still do a better job of fine grading in a Cat because of the controls.

If money were no object I would have gotten a Cat, but I got a pretty good deal on my S175, and I was tired of renting. I figured it was better to have a basic machine with an affordable payment that was "lacking" some of the things I ultimately wanted rather than having no machine at all. I am very happy with my Bobcat.

Joe

johnstra

I'm also looking at a Cat 228. I want to use it for snow blowing. Any known issues with the 228 or 248 high flows?
-john

Last edited: