• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bobcat 225 ... should I buy it?

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Vintage Restos & occasional Tractors
Hi all- ran across this Bobcat 225 that the guy says he wants to sell for $100. He doesn’t really know much about it or where any of the parts missing disappeared to. He says he knows where another motor is for around $1200. What motor is this anyways? It’s pretty rough, but looks like everything else is there except for maybe the ROPS. Think it would take too much to get it going? Rebuild it, new rebuilt motor or just junk it? Look forward to any responses.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...9AlmqyTzX2RnEULwea7zWQLVIbP90veAXu8EqLGwfus7l

OVERTORQUED

Occupation

Tenwheeler

That engine is an Isuzu. Looks to be 1996 CC from your picture. Should have more info stamped on the block around the fuel injection unit.
In the past BobCat sold some foreign equipment which was rebranded. Parts for the machine maybe hard to come by and or expensive. Thank I would look for a deal on a used runner before I worked on that engine.

Tenwheeler

That was a really bad answer and nobody beat me up? I was working on an Isuzu today and had that on the brain. The engine in your picture is a Kubota.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
That engine is an Isuzu. Looks to be 1996 CC from your picture. Should have more info stamped on the block around the fuel injection unit.
In the past BobCat sold some foreign equipment which was rebranded. Parts for the machine maybe hard to come by and or expensive. Thank I would look for a deal on a used runner before I worked on that engine.
I’m always up for a challenge but yeah, I’m thinking may pass on this one. If the guy actually knows where another motor is, I may take a look. It’s pretty beat. Some of the older stuff can really be good machines when you resurrect them, but maybe not a good candidate. Thank you though for input.

Vetech63

Considering there is an injector missing leaving an open hole right to the cylinder, no injector high pressure lines leaving the injectors and injector pump exposed to the elements for who knows how long, and the intake manifold missing with those ports exposed..........and that’s just what is obvious! I believe you have come to the proper conclusion. ;)

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Good day
Dare I say for 100 you could get that money back and much more for spare parts.
Kind regards
Uffex
Heck yeah!!! the radiator and fan are worth much more than that ;) would make an awesome franken-project heh heh

Tenwheeler

Now get the numbers by the injection unit. Then google used engine for sale. That is what I would do and have done anyway.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Amazing the machine shop called and said the crank was ok and we could go with standard bearings... Very surprised.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Did get this thing running but need to shim the head. The shims aren’t available anymore - is it possible to double stack the composite head gaskets? It would come out to the exact clearance I need.