• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

blocking and cribbing...

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
So, as a field tech, the general way I was taught and the way I've always done this to hold up and elevated machine is use, I wanna say, around 4x4 oak blocks, 2 to 3 feet long and stacked them by placing 2 down and then stacked 2 more on top rotating, to correctly "crib" so when done right it looks almost like jenga blocks.

Now I'm working at a new company and they're cribbing blocks are 3 foot long oak 12x12's. They're so heavy I feel like I'm gonna have a blowout moving one. The way I've seen them used is just stacking 2 on top of each other in the middle of the front or rear of machine and call it good. This is the first place I've ever seen use such huge blocks. Also as far as jack stands go, the only 2 I have seen, one has one set of holes egged out about an inch like it was overloaded or shockloaded and the other has a rusty bolt in it instead of a pin. I asked the shop techs about the jack stands and no one seemed worried except me.

What's everyone else's opinion on the subject?

Wes J

I guess you could report them to OHSA...

House moving cribbing is usually 5-1/2 by 6 and 4 feet long. Those bastards weigh over 50 lbs and are tiring to move around. I like to use 4 by 5. It's really handy to have one side shorter so you can slide a block in the crib pile anywhere you need it to setup a jack or whatever.

Delmer

One on top of two would be fine, one on top of one is probably going to be OK just like those jack stands, probably!

Those should be under 200 pounds if they're dry, right? It takes a little while to dry a block like that, plus it will crack out from the center of a boxed heart, not ideal.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
zack, IMO, you are correct; I'd be nervous, too, about the blocks and the jack stands.

I've had to use big crib blocks. Before a blowout, drill holes thru the ends of the big crib blocks and splice a loop of rope through each end. Make the lengths so when you stand up straight with your arms extended, you are lifting the block a little off of the ground. It's not as bad when you can move them and stack them dead lift style. And have a longer rope to use to pull them under your work to where you want them, after you have stacked them somewhere you can be standing up. Long enough so you can pull from where you can brace or get some advantage. (That supposes a paved working area...)

Wes's 4x5 idea is a good one. Maybe cut up some 4x6 lumber for yourself, paint the cribs baby-girl-pink with yellow and white poka-dots, and put some My Little Pony stickers on them. You'll have safe cribbing for your jobs, and you won't have to be supplying them for the rest of the shop.

Safety First. Good luck.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Hand trucks and fork lifts are the only way those blocks should be moved.

Old Doug

You can never be to safe. I dont like the deal with 2 big blocks. It seams like 2 blocks if there was some shifting it would be all over but if you used 3 or more and it would need to shift alot before it be a problem. I work some in a shop on trucks that dosent have any stands. One thing i use alot is a old alumimun rim it gos on the floor then wood blocks on top but i never have worked on or need to use it on a loaded truck or trailer. I hate not haveing blocks to make a job safe. This week a retired employey stoped by and ask if we had any blocks to set his camper on i almost said something bad because its hard to keep things like blocks around.

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
I'm really wondering if its worth stirring up a stink at work about it or if I want to just go buy my own cribbing and stands... I've never worked in a place had so much of the "just get it done" attitude with so much disregard for safety. They're heavy on preaching it but light on practicing it

td25c

That's probably your best bet zack-cat . If you are not comfortable using provided tools & equipment then buy your own .

Wood cribbing is not expensive and a good tool to invest in .

Cmark

If you think the current systems are safe but heavy then either live with it or buy/make your own tackle.

On the other hand if you don't think something is safe, just don't do it. Better to walk away from the job than be carried away in an ambulance. And we all know that if something goes boobies-up the management will drop you like a hot potato.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I'm really wondering if its worth stirring up a stink at work about it or if I want to just go buy my own cribbing and stands... I've never worked in a place had so much of the "just get it done" attitude with so much disregard for safety. They're heavy on preaching it but light on practicing it

If this is a new company to you then what is keeping you there?

td25c

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I have worked a lot of times for the just get it done boss's. Never again. I am a ppe freak now. I even make my 13 year old wear it around the house. Don't ever put your job higher than your personal value.

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
Thanks for the input guys. So far this has been a great company to work and this is my only issue and I really don't think anyone knows better or a better way so they keep on like it is. I've suggested smaller blocks but its not a problem in the shop since they have Dolley's and such to move them with and the other field guys won't get behind me and bring it up to the boss. O well, one more investment to make lol.