• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Biodegradable Synthetic Lubricants?

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hello fellow members,

I am seeking information regarding biodregadable, synthetic lubricants and coolants. I am venturing into the C&D Recycling industry where all work is done in environmentally sensitive areas. I have done some research and found that there are products available to fill every compartment and cooling system. I would like some feedback from anyone who knows about these products or has used them. In my geographical region -South Florida- it is hot, humid and very dusty, how would this affect my choices? Thank you...

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
You mean to tell me, there isn't one member here that is an expert or has experience with biodegradable synthetic lubricants and coolants? Hmm, I am starting to lose some faith here. I guess when in just a few years all other types of lubricants and coolants become banned for use this WILL be a hot topic. By then I would hope to be somewhat an expert myself. Oh well...

gravelwasher

Occupation
mineral mining
We are using some bio oils and I don't know to much about them.

We use Amsoil Biodegradable Hydraulic Oil in our wash plant. The specs on it say that it's 95% biodegradable when subjected to sunlight, water, and microbial activity. I think we have around 21,000 hours on it and it seams to be holding up well.

Were planning on switching to a Mobil Biodegradable Hydraulic Oil on the next change on the wash plant.

We have a few peaces of equipment that have been changed over to bio oil and using them as a test before we change over more. The one thing I can tell you is that you will need to change the filters a lot at first.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Finally some help! Thanks gravelwasher. I am familiar with Amsoil, supposedly they make a very good product. I have heard that there's an issue with filters if the machines don't come from the factory with biodegradables in them already. My machines will be used in environmentally sensitive areas, for the most part landfills, the DEP fines are excessive if you spill or leak. Would like to hear how things work out with the Mobil products. I am leaning towards Liebherr equipment and have been told by their people in VA that they can equip as new bio/synthetic in every compartment plus radiator, same goes for Volvo if I choose that route.
We are using some bio oils and I don't know to much about them.

We use Amsoil Biodegradable Hydraulic Oil in our wash plant. The specs on it say that it's 95% biodegradable when subjected to sunlight, water, and microbial activity. I think we have around 21,000 hours on it and it seams to be holding up well.

Were planning on switching to a Mobil Biodegradable Hydraulic Oil on the next change on the wash plant.

We have a few peaces of equipment that have been changed over to bio oil and using them as a test before we change over more. The one thing I can tell you is that you will need to change the filters a lot at first.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
From what I've heard dinosaurs are biodegradable. It's only the heavy metals that end up fluids that change their status to hazardous material.

I believe all the major oil companies put out enviro oils.

Good Luck!

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Yep, and it is as you said the contaminants that make 'em bad for the environment.... BAD dinosaur....bad, should've ate your veggies and not each other. I have to admit, although I haven't become a tree-hugger I have gotten "green" and environmentally conscious in my old age, then again it could have a lot to do with fines and penalties for not being green too. Thanks for your input...
From what I've heard dinosaurs are biodegradable. It's only the heavy metals that end up fluids that change their status to hazardous material.

I believe all the major oil companies put out enviro oils.

Good Luck!

blitz138

SeaMac,

Most bio lubes have a vegetable oil base stock. Be careful with what you are using bio lubes with, the technology is very new and alot of the oil/greases out there are not very shear stable.

There is a difference between biodegradable and no tox. One has nothing to do with the other.

Let me know what your dealing with and what equipment, i may be able to help make some recommendations.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
I would only consider synthetic bio's, not knowing if they're vegetable based or not. More and more it's looking like it will be new Liebherr machines that get purchased. Liebherr has told me they can fill all compartments and cooling system with syn/bio from the get. It's down the road where I might need to add or change that concerns me. The machines will be operating in South Florida which is hot and very humid and also a C&D Recycling/Tansfer Station which is extremely dusty.
SeaMac,

Most bio lubes have a vegetable oil base stock. Be careful with what you are using bio lubes with, the technology is very new and alot of the oil/greases out there are not very shear stable.

There is a difference between biodegradable and no tox. One has nothing to do with the other.

Let me know what your dealing with and what equipment, i may be able to help make some recommendations.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
My 2 cents is that I wouldn't go to synthetic or biodegradable lubricants unless I absolutely had to - in other words forced to by legislation. From what I have seen to date they offer no performance benefits, are more sensitive to storage conditions, and are much less tolerant of things like mixing compared to mineral-based lubricants. Don't go thinking that biodegradables are the only option for the C&D industry, the good old mineral oils can still work in your application.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
And that's exactly what I am dealing with, legislation. The transfer station I will be bidding to do C&D is an old landfill and the EPA and Florida DEP require biodegradable's due to the potential of groundwater contamination. I personally am choosing the addition of synthetic because I know they exist and they appear better the vegetable in specs. I don't have a choice in the matter and want the best lubricants I can get to keep nearly 3 million in machines running as long as possible.
unless I absolutely had to - in other words forced to by legislation.

blitz138

The synthetic bio are all ester based lubes. Nige is right that storage is a problem, make sure you handle your inventory as lean as you are comfortable with. Also you need to make sure whoever your getting your lubes from has a lean inventory/ high turnover rate. The price for the bios is high enough you dont need to throw away unused product.

Help me understand why you would only use a synthetic bio? Synthetic have 3 basic advantages, high viscosity index, less fluid friction, longer drain intervals. Viscosity index for bios are going to be around 150 -200 plus you live in Florida so not alot of temperature change. You will still get the fluid friction reduction but I doubt you will be able to tell much. As far as drain interval I would never extend the usage on bios.

The word synthetic is very abused in the world of lubrication. Read about the Castrol vs Mobile court case, in short Mobile said group IV and V base oils are synthetics, Castrol claimed that group II & IIIs are synthetic because they are synthesized dino. Castrol won the case, so the word synthetic means jack.

All biodegradable lubes are a mixture of esters (group V) and veggie base oil stock, You need both.

No matter who you chose for your bios you need to take ample care of contamination. Water, dirt, sunlight will all start the biodegrading process. Use filters designed for bio, desiccant breathers are a must, and I would employ oil sampling.

Let me know if you need more info~