• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Biggest dozer to pull without having a CDL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montecresto

What’s a win in your mind? The absolute best is they drop tickets. You will be out your time, any expenses and believe me now they’re gonna watch for you to make any little infraction. It’s what they do.

We’re all speaking from direct experience. It seems to me that the answers you’re getting aren’t what you seek. I can tell you from experience that most states look at GVW of truck and trailer. Add those up and if they exceed 26001 you’re in CDL territory. How and when they choose to enforce that is up to them. Every single solitary law or rule is subject to their mood or discretion. That’s what makes it hard to give you advice or direction.

Having run all 48 and some of Canada with big trailers I’ve met some great officers and some royal douches. You can argue, cite laws, reference other forums or whatever you want. We’re trying to give firsthand experience, possibly save a major headache or worse.

It’s interesting to me that you came here seeking advice and seem to want to argue and contradict most of it. We didn’t catch you at the fuel stop and start picking apart your rig or questioning your license. There isn’t really a straightforward answer to your questions. It is 100% at the mercy of whoever stops you.
Well, I think I’ve made clear that a “WIN” would be that the law was pellucid, and that all 6 DOT brown shirts understood it and gave the same answers, that the NTSB required stickers on trucks and trailers was accurate and that I could load and move according to it…..‍♂️

Montecresto

What’s a win in your mind? The absolute best is they drop tickets. You will be out your time, any expenses and believe me now they’re gonna watch for you to make any little infraction. It’s what they do.

We’re all speaking from direct experience. It seems to me that the answers you’re getting aren’t what you seek. I can tell you from experience that most states look at GVW of truck and trailer. Add those up and if they exceed 26001 you’re in CDL territory. How and when they choose to enforce that is up to them. Every single solitary law or rule is subject to their mood or discretion. That’s what makes it hard to give you advice or direction.

Having run all 48 and some of Canada with big trailers I’ve met some great officers and some royal douches. You can argue, cite laws, reference other forums or whatever you want. We’re trying to give firsthand experience, possibly save a major headache or worse.

It’s interesting to me that you came here seeking advice and seem to want to argue and contradict most of it. We didn’t catch you at the fuel stop and start picking apart your rig or questioning your license. There isn’t really a straightforward answer to your questions. It is 100% at the mercy of whoever stops you.
It’s not arguing and contradicting to point out that you guys can’t even come to consensus, or get tangled in your own commentary like telling me that manufacturers pull load limits out of there ass and put them on a door jamb sticker that the DOT brown shirt is going to look at to determine if I’m in compliance….

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
I hook them up and check them. If a hose pops off or breaks, the whole rig is coming to a stop. If the air pressure gets too low I get a light and an alarm in my view. I don't deal with that and the whole rig is coming to a stop.
On the electric brake rig, a wire or connector gets loose and the whole rig comes to a go go go baby.
When I was in the mind to do bad things, like slapping an old triple axle air brake eager beaver behind a pickup, no spring brakes thankfully (or not) but later found that in europe, a trailer over a certain weight has to have air brakes, they had hydraulic to air relay valves to control the trailer air brakes on a non air brake tractor/tow vehicle, you get the service and emergency line and a single button on the dash for parking. Looks tempting!! I gotta say after hauling triple live axle hay wagons more than 15 miles on the road behind a JD 6300 tractor, air brakes would have been welcome!!

skyking1

Why ask. I suppose that one might expect that in time, the confusion gets remedied and all 6 DOT inspectors understand the regulations they are enforcing and we finally all know that the manufacturers sticker on trucks and trailers is accurate and these forum threads are no longer necessary. But apparently not….
The forum thread is not the vehicle to remedy the confusion and get those inspectors lined up. We just tell you what we have experienced.
If you are seeking change or vindication or whatever else, you came to the wrong place.
Recently, I got 22K tonnage on my personal 3500 SRW to cover a load I took across a few state lines. Nobody flagged me in and I was under the required stop at the scales for 26K and over.
Did I need the tonnage? Apparently I could have skated through on that, but from personal experience, I did not want the furball that could happen if I did get pulled over.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Keep my windows clean, trailer deck clean, lights working, chains tight, trailer well painted and looking in good order, all my stuff and also avoid known dot hot spots.

Officer I have no idea where that trailer came from.

rotate_1023101422.jpg

Attachments

• 20190630_094403.jpg
    20190630_094403.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Will not get vindication nor a allowance commentaries here. Try your game on the road, you make it you win, you don’t, well, you were told.

Most of us on your thread do have CDL, the majority will chance a slight overload around town or county but likely NOT interstate as the fines and fees are seriously stupid. In most cases will park you until get a qualified truck to haul out from DOT stop.

Wanna play, will say again, your Dime not ours and Your choice.

Montecresto

Funny that you guys all agree that the law is as clear as mud, that not even the enforcement officers agree on it and you want to run me off for pointing it out, lmbo….

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Because we read it AS WRITTEN, Nothing New and Nothing Muddy. Take it to a DOT officer, we DO NOT CARE.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
My 1 ton Dodge dually has 14,000
So are you saying all the rednecks riding around in these Dodge one tons with HO engines and Aisin transmission’s towing nothing with their mirrors folded out are required to have a CDL…..
14,000 more than 26,000?

Montecresto

Because we read it AS WRITTEN, Nothing New and Nothing Muddy. Take it to a DOT officer, we DO NOT CARE.

Cap locking me now huh, lol…
No clear answers, the DOT brown shirts don’t even know the law they’re enforcing but I’m the guy that needs to run along….hahaha….Ok fellas.

MG84

Funny that you guys all agree that the law is as clear as mud, that not even the enforcement officers agree on it and you want to run me off for pointing it out, lmbo….
You should probably try one of the harry homeowner compact tractor fourms, I'd bet they're more likely revere your 1-ton semi and deep knowledge of CDL and DOT law. I apologize that most of use here have real world experience and aren't giving you the answer you want to hear....

Montecresto

14,000 more than 26,000?
You should probably try one of the harry homeowner compact tractor fourms, I'd bet they're more likely revere your 1-ton semi and deep knowledge of CDL and DOT law. I apologize that most of use here have real world experience and aren't giving you the answer you want to hear....
I don’t have any deep knowledge of DOT law, and you can’t quote me suggesting so. I came here asking what DOT law is only to be told that not even the DOT inspectors know….

Status
Not open for further replies.